IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Square set up Wheel options.

Old 06-20-13, 09:54 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
When trying to make a car more competitive in a particular autocross class tires are going to make WAY more of a difference than anything you can do to the suspension. (Actually that rule applies almost universally, those round rubber things that actually contact the road are the biggest handling upgrade you can make. ) Also suspension modifications may bump you to a different (faster) class and make the car even less competitive.

Great videos, thanks for posting!

EDIT: Jeff, I like the setup on your car, do you have some good pictures of the wheel/tire combo?
Maybe that is why I upgraded to the Toyo T1 Sport and the R888 ...and maybe you guys could benefit from some of us that have years of experience with these cars and have logged some actual track time...just sayin
Old 06-20-13, 01:23 PM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by quick123
Maybe that is why I upgraded to the Toyo T1 Sport and the R888 ...and maybe you guys could benefit from some of us that have years of experience with these cars and have logged some actual track time...just sayin

I am trying to gather info, and your input is appreciated!

There is no question that anyone can buy and install better/more expensive parts in any car and make more power etc. Now to make it work right and to be faster & reliable in a road course/ autocross, well that is a different story and it becomes even extra difficult when you have to do it following a set of specific rules for a class.

With that said: Yes, R888s are better tires, no one is questioning that…but not necessary what works in my case. In fact I could definitely not benefit from using 2 different types of tires in the same car. The Toyo’s T1 are not even in the same league as the other top street tires.
R888 are R-compounds, and not allowed in some classes, but if I could or wanted to run R-compounds, there is not even a question on what tire to run as the faster tire out there is very clear and known by everyone.

Again, I was just looking for feedback on wheels and tire sizes, I understand that you have year of track experience with the car… Are these timed events? Do you use any data acquisition software or lap times to compare the different set ups that you had over the course of the years?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-13, 03:02 PM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by quick123
Sorry, not trying to call you out or minimize your experience. Just stating that autcrossers have a particular challenge when trying to build a competitive car while meeting rules of a particular class.
Old 06-21-13, 04:48 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ no worries guys, no love lost

but if you have a very specific question that is held to specific criteria, it might help you get that specific answer if your question is not so general...try asking your question in the road course/autocross section here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/roa...nd-auto-x-239/

And let us know your progress and success at the track...I am sure many of us would like to know just how competitive the IS250 is in it's class