IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New 07 IS350 owner. Have questions.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 06:53 AM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New 07 IS350 owner. Have questions.

Hey guys, picked up a 2007 IS350 with 98k miles on it a few days ago. Loving it so far, but it's got a few things that need fixing and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

1) (Solved. Just bought some through the classifieds here.) When we test drove it, the light that looks like (_!_) was on. I took it to the dealership yesterday and they determined that the reason it was on was because the TPMS sensors were missing from the tires (not sure how many were missing). Obviously this does not affect the car in any way, but the dealership said that the this light cannot be cleared until they are installed. I don't know if this is true or not (I thought you could clear that with certain code readers), but I'd really like the light to go away, but the dealership quoted ~$457 for new sensors. I know I could probably get these cheaper, but how much cheaper are we talking and were could I get them from? Or even better, can I simply get rid of the that light without installing them? My display area has "Check System" up constantly and I'd like for that to go away so I can see my mileage, range, outside temp, etc.

2) I noticed a little bit of a bumpy ride when driving, turns out the front right rim was cracked at one point and has been welded since. I obviously need to replace this, problem is, the car has the 18" chrome rims which look to be pretty expensive from what I've seen online. Any suggestions on where to find one for a decent price (preferably under $250)? Ebay seems to be my best bet so far, but it is hard finding a single rim for a decent price.

3) Back tires need to be replaced. Any suggestions on good tires for a decent price? Best place to buy?

Thanks in advance guys! I appreciate all the help you guys have been so far!

Last edited by Gundown64; 06-12-13 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-12-13, 08:27 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Is it the actual Check Engine light that is on, or is it a symbol in the bottom right that looks like (_!_)

Not having TPMS sensors installed would not cause a check engine light. Take it to a Lexus dealership and see what they can figure out.

I get my tires from tirerack.com.
Old 06-12-13, 08:29 AM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Is it the actual Check Engine light that is on, or is it a symbol in the bottom right that looks like (_!_)

Not having TPMS sensors installed would not cause a check engine light. Take it to a Lexus dealership and see what they can figure out.

I get my tires from tirerack.com.
Yes, it is that symbol (_!_), sorry for the misunderstanding. Also, the light that has a triangle with a ! inside of it is on too, which I think are both caused by the TPMS.
Old 06-12-13, 08:37 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

1. You can get sensors from either eBay or here in the classified section.
2. Just buy aftermarket runs instead.
3. I just got Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport and I'm loving them.
Old 06-12-13, 08:39 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no way to clear the TPMS light if you don't have any sensors...the TPMS computer will always be looking for them, so as soon as you clear it the light will come right back on. You can buy new sensors online (remember, you get what you pay for) but who knows about quality and if they even work. The sensors will need to then be installed and programmed at a Lexus/Toyota dealer (Toyota will be cheaper) and then you will not have the light issue.

The problem you have with needing one new wheel and 2 rear tires sounds like a great excuse to buy new wheels and tires together...at least that is what I would do.
Old 06-12-13, 09:05 AM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by quick123
There is no way to clear the TPMS light if you don't have any sensors...the TPMS computer will always be looking for them, so as soon as you clear it the light will come right back on. You can buy new sensors online (remember, you get what you pay for) but who knows about quality and if they even work. The sensors will need to then be installed and programmed at a Lexus/Toyota dealer (Toyota will be cheaper) and then you will not have the light issue.

The problem you have with needing one new wheel and 2 rear tires sounds like a great excuse to buy new wheels and tires together...at least that is what I would do.
As much as I'd love to go aftermarket, I am just not willing to put that much money into that at the moment and just need to go the cheap route. Thanks for the info on the sensors too.
Old 06-12-13, 09:38 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think some one in the classified section is selling a set of used TPMS sensors for a good price. What you could also do to save some money is instead of mounting the sensors on the rim in just make the "Pipe bomb" that people and I use to fool the TPMS computer into thinking the system has not errors.
Old 06-12-13, 09:40 AM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by B16da9
I think some one in the classified section is selling a set of used TPMS sensors for a good price. What you could also do to save some money is instead of mounting the sensors on the rim in just make the "Pipe bomb" that people and I use to fool the TPMS computer into thinking the system has not errors.
Just snagged those sensors actually! $100 is much better than the quoted $457.
Old 06-12-13, 09:42 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by Gundown64
Just snagged those sensors actually! $100 is much better than the quoted $457.
perfect, did you get the sensors with the mounting hardware? If you didn't the pipe alternative might be a good solution for you as you wont have to get the front tires removed and then remounted to install the sensors.
Old 06-12-13, 09:43 AM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

perfect, did you get the sensors with the mounting hardware?
He said it did NOT come with hardware, so I suppose I need to get that as well. Should I get it myself or let the dealership do that for me? Getting it myself would be cheaper obviously.
Old 06-12-13, 09:49 AM
B16da9
Racer

Originally Posted by Gundown64
He said it did NOT come with hardware, so I suppose I need to get that as well. Should I get it myself or let the dealership do that for me? Getting it myself would be cheaper obviously.
I beleive I've seen the hardware on ebay and it will be way cheaper than the dealer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-609-109-TPMS-Valve-Core-Kit-Hardware-Wheel-Tire-/130415254412?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus&hash=item1e5d5adb8c&vxp=mtr#ht_704wt_904
Old 06-12-13, 09:51 AM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

I beleive I've seen the hardware on ebay and it will be way cheaper than the dealer.

Dorman 609 109 TPMS Valve Core Kit Hardware Wheel Tire | eBay
I was just getting ready to post that. That looks good, thanks for your help man!
Old 06-12-13, 10:06 AM
embolism
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to be clear, you didn't buy the car from a dealer right? Just wondering why there would be no tpms sensors on the car. I hate tmps myself. They only go off if your tire is dangerously low. I guess it's for those ppl that never do any maintenance until something goes wrong with their ride.

Never seen those stock rims in chrome. You'll have a hard time getting just one used. Maybe from a junkyard?
Old 06-12-13, 10:11 AM
Gundown64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by embolism
just to be clear, you didn't buy the car from a dealer right? Just wondering why there would be no tpms sensors on the car. I hate tmps myself. They only go off if your tire is dangerously low. I guess it's for those ppl that never do any maintenance until something goes wrong with their ride.

Never seen those stock rims in chrome. You'll have a hard time getting just one used. Maybe from a junkyard?
Correct. I bought it from a used car lot. Not sure why they would be missing either, but obviously something happened. I mean, they managed to crack a front wheel for goodness sake so I bet that is tied in somehow. My guess would be that the rims were replaced at one point.

I've found like one or two listings for single rims like mine on ebay but they were all $350+. I found one listing for all four for only $750 with free shipping which I think is a great deal, but I really just don't want to spend that much considering I don't need all four.
Old 06-12-13, 10:39 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by embolism
I have the same wheels, here in CA I know a guy that deals with ISx50 all the time (he's a dealer) and I got a chrome rim from him for $100 when I blew a tire in the middle of the freeway and completely ruined my rim.

Not my business but $100 for TPMS without hardware is a bit pricey I just sold a set for $80 with hardware.

Quick Reply: New 07 IS350 owner. Have questions.