IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Good buy or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 05:05 PM
rawfish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good buy or not?

112k miles, salvaged title. Luxury package with nav etc etc..... $11,000. Even worth looking at? Not worried about resale as it will be a daily and driven intro the ground, but since its for that purpose looking for a good deal.
Old 06-11-13, 05:54 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

salvage titles have never scared me like they do some people. as long as you do your research and know the history of the what has happened with the vehicle salvage titles can be a steal of a deal for a very nice vehicle. this is especially true in the motorcycle world. if the car is in good shape and you know the details causing the salvage title $11k for a 2nd gen IS with a working nav is a good deal.

when you drive the car each day it makes no difference what the title paperwork says in your desk at home. if it works for you, get it, enjoy the great deal, and enjoy driving it.
Old 06-11-13, 06:00 PM
rawfish
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Accident history shows 4 accidents. Have no idea what one salvaged the car. Shows it was 3 days old and was in a collision with a culvert! Then it hit two animals ( I assume deer) and the last accident the car hit a stationary item ( doesn't say what)

So its had it share of repairs. I haven't seen the car personally yet. Its a few hours away and wondering if its even worth it. I'm thinking more like 9-10k thoughts?
Old 06-11-13, 06:15 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

screw that

4 accidents? especially a deer collision.

i'd pass
Old 06-11-13, 06:41 PM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

yikes... yea 4 accidents... i'd pass. if it were one accident that salvaged the vehicle but was repaired and functions fine again now i would say good deal. 4 accidents just leaves a little too much to question.
Old 06-11-13, 07:02 PM
Hbhandal
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pass on it ! Seems like the car hasn't been in good hands, theirs probably more salvage cars out there for that price.
Old 06-11-13, 08:19 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 accidents and salvage, i would think the car would go for cheaper than 11k.
also sounds like the PO is a drunk.

thing about salvage titles is they hurt the resell value.
but for someone who is buying the car for themself without any plans to part with it
soon or for a very long time its an alright deal.

thing is, you could end up putting as much into the car (to get it up to standard)
as it would cost to have bought the car already up to standard.

a big example of this is a $2000 rusted junker muscle car compared to a 12000+
restored muscle car, in the end the price is almost the same
Old 06-11-13, 10:21 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

yeah after 4 accidents plus a salvage title i would pass on that man. hell even with that type of history plus a salvage title it should be cheaper than even 11k.

i would just keep searching around. im sure you can find an 07 IS for only a few grand more at this point in the cars lifespan
Old 06-11-13, 10:55 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a salvage title and the car is running like a charm. There's nothing wrong with a salvage title. However when my IS came to the house it had 6K miles, we were the ones that got the car running. Currently I'm at 51K miles and haven't had a single problem with it.

I say go for it since you are buying the car as a daily it should be more than enough. Just when you go to look at it check that the VIN matches up on all panels in the front end, and that there isn't any big gaps in between parts.
Old 06-12-13, 01:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The odds are not good. Many factors, like was it repaired properly? In my 25 years of driving, I've never seen a repair shop fix a car to factory condition. Never. Some shops do better than others. The more accidents, the more visit to shops, the more likely some poor work was done somewhere. You have to look at the odds. One accident is risky enough. Four accidents and the odds are extremely slim everything was fixed properly or to factory specs. How picky are you? If I saw hazed paint, overspray, gaps between panels, something misaligned, or heard squeaks in the suspension, it would drive me crazy every day I had to drive it. Some people are picky, others are not. Some people don't care about these things if the price is right. Others feel no cheap price is worth such compromises. All decisions you have to make for yourself.
Old 06-12-13, 08:07 AM
one2nite
Rookie

Too risky not worth the headache for that price. I had a 2002 wrx that was rebuilt and it was problems all the time. When i bought it I inspected it and it checkout out great but that didint last long. I didint drive it hard either
Old 06-12-13, 09:08 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What year is the car? If you are planning on modifying and beating the **** out of it then why not, 4 accidents and salvage SO WHAT! I would offer 9

but if your looking for daily, reliabilty and what not then I would pass. Project car yes. Personal car NO
Old 06-12-13, 09:17 AM
DaMitsuMan
Rookie

I tried looking but never saw, Is it a 250 or a 350?
Old 06-12-13, 09:34 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing to remember about salvage titles is that no matter the mileage a dealer will not perform any warranty work on as it is null and void.
Old 06-12-13, 10:12 AM
vorbidan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by B16da9
One thing to remember about salvage titles is that no matter the mileage a dealer will not perform any warranty work on as it is null and void.
Not exactly true. Dealer will perform recall services - salvage or not salvage. Also keep in mind it is not "salvage" per se, it is "rebuilt from salvage", so there is someone who signed the paper, saying that they have restored the vehicle to roadworthy condition. If this car is sold for $11,000, I would assume that it is 5+ years old, so no manufacturer warranty whatsoever. In general if you are saving 20% or more on a salvage car - it is a good deal.
At the end it is about how you feel about owning a rebuilt from salvage car, some people don't care when others prefer to buy a "certified used" car.

Quick Reply: Good buy or not?