IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New policy with Lexus loaners

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 09:52 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for feedback guys. So I guess it depends on a dealership. Probably some people started to abuse free gas at my dealership and that is why they went this direction.
Old 06-07-13, 09:58 AM
Traxxer
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to go to a lexus dealer in Newport Beach where I purchased my car and the guy told me not to worry about the gas. I had brought it in due to rattling around the dash. More recently I went to a lexus dealer in El Monte on the way to my parents for the same reason and they place made sure that I needed to to refill the tank I think it just depends on the dealer and who you're talking to.
Old 06-07-13, 10:16 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

I don;t see the big deal. It's only fair to pay for your tolls and gas, Wouldn't you pay for that anyway in your car?
I need to do those two recalls as well but never thought I'll have to leave my car there, it looks to me that it shouldn;t be that time consuming to have them done.
Old 06-07-13, 10:24 AM
p0lo8
Pole Position

Originally Posted by keyframe13
I don;t see the big deal. It's only fair to pay for your tolls and gas, Wouldn't you pay for that anyway in your car?
I need to do those two recalls as well but never thought I'll have to leave my car there, it looks to me that it shouldn;t be that time consuming to have them done.
It is not a big deal. I was just surprised because it was new to me.
Old 06-07-13, 10:53 AM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by p0lo8
Hi guys,

So today I brought my car in for wiper blade and trunk release recall. Took a loaner and got asked to come in to managers office to sign some papers. What?? papers? I have never signed anything before when taking a loaner.
So they needed my drivers license number, credit card number, made a copy of insurance card and I had to sign that I am responsible for tolls and gas! They gave it to me with a full tank and expects full tank when I bring the car back, otherwise its $5 a gallon. Never had to pay tolls or gas before.
I asked about it and manager said this is a new thing Lexus is pushing. He said all the dealers around started doing it too. This is around Chicago land.

It is already inconvenient that we need to bring cars in for recalls and Lexus cant even cover the gas in their loaners?
That's how its always been... if the dealership chose to allow people to return the loaners with no gas, that's on them. They get all your info just incase the vehicle gets damaged while its in your possession. Lexus isn't going to fix the damage while its in YOUR possession for free. Its like saying you crash your own car for example and are at fault but want someone else to pay for it.
Old 06-07-13, 11:41 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah Lexus been charging the fuel cost ($5) since last year, but who care for just five dollars, at least I used half of their gas tank loaner car for one day and got my car fill up from nearly empty tank which I got the latest recall last week.
Old 06-07-13, 12:01 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The one time I received a loaner I signed some paperwork, and off I went. Didn't top up on fuel either afterward.
Old 06-07-13, 12:03 PM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by p0lo8
I have never got a free full tank of gas, but I have never paid gas or tolls for the loaners. I understand with the tolls, but I think they should cover the gas like they used to.
If you rent a car from enterprise or budget do they pay for the gas. It is a consumable item that the person that is renting the car should pay for. That is the same with the person that is borrowing the car. If this is wrong and Lexus should pay for it then they should pay for all the gas whenever you are driving the car too.

There is no reason why they should by someone gas unless it is to replace the gas in a car that they have in their possession that they used that they should not have.

I don't understand why Lexus people are so cheap. YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY!
Old 06-07-13, 12:11 PM
cwtt
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by projectdna
(bolded and colored for emphasis.)

sounds like you've been lulled into a false sense of entitlement. honestly, consider yourself fortunate that you were still allowed to leave the lot with a loaner

just because you own a lexus doesn't mean that you have the right to a loaner vehicle every time you bring your lexus in for service - whether for recall work or scheduled/unscheduled service. it's a privilege that dealerships extend to lexus owners when they bring in their vehicles for service, but certainly a priviledge that a dealership may or may not extend at their discretion.
+1 for truth
Old 06-07-13, 12:14 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

it's normal.
Old 06-07-13, 12:53 PM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've never signed or heard of that before...well except for the gas thing..whatever they give me i bring it back at..but i've never had to give them my credit card
Old 06-07-13, 02:44 PM
Samieee
Pole Position

I always thought paying for gas and toll on a loaner was normal
Old 06-07-13, 02:52 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BernieIS
If you rent a car from enterprise or budget do they pay for the gas. It is a consumable item that the person that is renting the car should pay for. That is the same with the person that is borrowing the car. If this is wrong and Lexus should pay for it then they should pay for all the gas whenever you are driving the car too.

There is no reason why they should by someone gas unless it is to replace the gas in a car that they have in their possession that they used that they should not have.

I don't understand why Lexus people are so cheap. YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY!

well said Ryan.
Old 06-07-13, 11:39 PM
Holunsok
Driver School Candidate

I live in the Chicagoland area, just wondering which dealer is this? You can PM me if you dont wish to post the name. Thanks
Old 06-07-13, 11:44 PM
Lexasaurus
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like a normal dealer visit. I always have to sign a paper saying i will have the same amount of gas upon return and a small box that asks for my insurance company name and license number, but that's about it.

Quick Reply: New policy with Lexus loaners