FlyAudio/China Unit Install w/picture

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 07:03 PM
longbeach9
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FlyAudio/China Unit Install w/picture

Hello Guys,

I finally purchased and installed my china unit navigation system. I purchased from elaine on alibaba .....it was the RoadRover 8018 for $600....It was too close so I had to try the china unit for myself....Before I purchased this unit, I read all of the threads regarding the flyaudio & the china unit. It seemed like they both had the same type of complaints/problems and they look very similar. I have a 2009 IS250 so I didnt have to do the air-vent upgrade. The unit has a 8" inch screen, 2012 IGO maps , and backup camera , compared to Flyaudio's 7" inch screen

This unit is awesome and it does everything that I want it to do. Besides it having a clean factory look, I also can play dvd's while driving, I can hook my Ipod up, I can play music and movies from a USB memory stick, I still use my steering wheel buttons, the navigation program is great plus it has alot of the same features my portable garmin nuvi50 has, Bluetooth, and my 6 disc changer still works with the unit. These features alone are worth the $600 to me. Compared to the flyaudio $1200 unit

In other post I remember people speaking on the seatbelt or airbag light not working properly, well I dont have those problems either. Overall I'm 97% satisfied with this unit. The missing 3% I will name for you but really at the end of the day, this unit looks and performs so well I dont even care about the few things that could be better.

The unit has alot of Pro's and very few Con's...........
1) unit doesnt come with a built in clock......but the navigation or menu screen does have a clock.
2) the radio stations are off by a few numbers....like 90.2fm is really 93.5fm.....no big deal
3) The Climate control is in Celsius but the controls are user friendly and work great

Thats it folks...........This unit is Great for the price compared to spending double with a flyaudio unit that has a smaller 7" inch screen and the identical 3 issues. For the USB,Navigation, & DVD feature alone, custom lexus dash look is well worth $600....So in my opinion....Even if flyaudio fixed these 3 complaints that I have with the china unit....I would still buy the China Unit for $600 with 3 complaints vs Flyaudio Unit for $1200 with 0 complaints.....From what I read the flyaudio owners were complaining about the same things if not more things.....Oh yeah the $1200 7" inch flyaudio unit is being sold on alibaba for $400. The RoadRover 8018 unit has an 8" inch screen being sold for $600. Lexus Family this is a "NO BRAINER"
If you want the Lexus Navigation Upgrade...and cant choose between the $1200 Flyaudio or $600 RoadRover (China Unit).........My advise is go with the 8" inch RoadRover 8018 or get the China Unit 7" inch Flyaudio Version on Alibaba.............This is a very big company in china that produce quality products for a fraction of the cost............

http://www.road-rover.com/lexus-gps-...igation-system

I Hope this thread helps some of you that are still debating on getting one of the 2 variations of CHina Units for your Navigation Upgrade
Attached Thumbnails FlyAudio/China Unit Install w/picture-dscn1801.jpg   FlyAudio/China Unit Install w/picture-dscn1802.jpg  
Old 06-03-13, 07:38 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good. As for the radio - there is a patch you can apply to fix the frequency issue. It was posted recently on the "found flyaudio's manufacturer" thread
Old 06-03-13, 08:46 PM
FrictionSc
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

did you have to get an adapter for the usb? My usb won't plug in.
Old 06-03-13, 10:29 PM
KNIGHTX50
Driver School Candidate

Looks great, but the link that you provided shows the price of $699.
Could you upload a video on the features and also is there a small gap between the unit and air vents?
Old 06-03-13, 11:54 PM
liqB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you diy the install? if so how long did it take?
Old 06-04-13, 02:19 AM
USNsaint71
Rookie

was this a full conversion from the no screen non-navigation style display, to this with new buttons and trim piece?

-USNsaint71
Old 06-04-13, 04:54 AM
longbeach9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FrictionSc
did you have to get an adapter for the usb? My usb won't plug in.
Yes you have to get a female to male usb adapter......they sale them online or at fry's electronics.....I havent purchased yet..........
Old 06-04-13, 05:04 AM
longbeach9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KNIGHTX50
Looks great, but the link that you provided shows the price of $699.
Could you upload a video on the features and also is there a small gap between the unit and air vents?
That link I provided was the manufactures website so that you could get more info on the unit and the manufacture and yes the unit retails for $699.....On Alibaba the new 8"inch unit goes for $600.....If you want the older FlyAudio 7"inch china unit ...it goes for around $400 on Alibaba.... I would get the newest model because it has a bigger screen and they fixed some of the issues that people were having with the older unit (like the airbag light issue, and seatbelt light issue)
I do have a video showcasing the features that another member posted last year....I will repost it for everyone to see........Regarding the gap question.....Its the angle that I took the picure, it might seam as if theres a gap but the unit is actually very flush
Old 06-04-13, 05:12 AM
longbeach9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by USNsaint71
was this a full conversion from the no screen non-navigation style display, to this with new buttons and trim piece?

-USNsaint71
Yes I have a 2009 Is250 with non-navigation non mark-lev system

The China Unit is one solid piece that has 8"inch screen and all of the buttons and trim attached to it. The ipod adapter and usb adapter I had installed in the glove box.....another option would be to have those adapters placed in the center console.
Old 06-04-13, 05:23 AM
longbeach9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by liqB
Did you diy the install? if so how long did it take?
I did not install the unit myself, but I was there at the stereo shop the entire time watching the unit get put in. The unit is plug and play so it didnt take that long to install....about 30 minutes to do the entire job.......(Just NAV unit with out backup camera) ....they sent me the camera but i'm probably not going to install it.....

Last edited by longbeach9; 06-04-13 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-04-13, 10:38 AM
mboyenko
Driver School Candidate

What supplier on Alibaba did you purchase the unit from? The reason I am asking is that the ones I have looked at don't say that it comes with a backup camera.
Old 06-04-13, 11:57 AM
nastyemu
Driver

your pictures show a slight gap between the unit and the hvac blower trim. can you provide any detail on that? are you able to make it go away?
Old 06-04-13, 02:31 PM
USNsaint71
Rookie

Looks awesome except for the small gap, so 09-10's don't need the air vent upgrade?

don't care about the clock or radio numbers but there's gotta be a way to change the Celsius to degrees in the settings or something.

this unit is definitely in my future.

-USNsaint71
Old 06-04-13, 03:26 PM
longbeach9
Driver School Candidate

Default Alibaba link and updated picture of unit

http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/227430621.html

This unit was advertised at $615 and comes with backup camera......At the time I purchased this unit they were giving a $15 discount for all orders over $500....so thats how my unit came to be $600......If I would have bought this same unit a month earlier....I would have paid $530..The manufacture site recommends $699 for this unit...so its well worth it.......This unit is becoming very popular so the prices are jumping.....either way its roughly half the price of the flyaudio unit with a 7" inch screen......and if you prefer the older smaller style unit that look identical to the flyaudio unit.....they have that one on alibaba too for $400.....but as I said in my other post....Those older units come with more bugs and smaller screens

These are updated pictures with slightly different angles. So from this angle the gap from the top of the radio and the bottom of the vent looks smaller.....the AC vent piece and the Radio Nav unit itself can be adjusted ...so with more time on my hands I probably can tweek it to be more centered and gap free....but really guys it doesnt bother me at all....So now my focus is on putting my alpine amps & speakers & sub.......For those interested in adding amps, better door speakers, and a sub....your going to need this adapter from AUDIOCONTROL called a LC6I....it allows you to use your stock amp for (power & signals) and routes that to your new amps....I'm going with the alpine component door speaker upgrade with alpine amp.
Attached Thumbnails FlyAudio/China Unit Install w/picture-dscn1804.jpg   FlyAudio/China Unit Install w/picture-dscn1806.jpg  
Old 06-04-13, 03:55 PM
longbeach9
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by USNsaint71
Looks awesome except for the small gap, so 09-10's don't need the air vent upgrade?

don't care about the clock or radio numbers but there's gotta be a way to change the Celsius to degrees in the settings or something.

this unit is definitely in my future.

-USNsaint71
You wont be disappointed with this unit USNsaint71......... those who have the 06'-08' Is250 have to buy the updated (2009 and up) airvents if you want the newer Third Generation 8" inch unit....If you want the older 6 or 7" inch china unit.... You dont have to get the updated vents....but your going to have the first gen or 2nd gen china NAV units... those are cool but alot of bugs with the first gen unit..(but if this is the only unit I could buy I would still do it even with all the reported bugs)....The new 8" inch model is actually the 3rd Generation....and they have corrected alot of the previous bugs that were in the older generation units.......As I stated in my other post....this unit isnt perfect yet..but I'm very satisfied with the new unit..... I think by the 4th generation my 3 complaints will actually be corrected...lol......Oh yeah the Celsius complaint really isnt that bad....the lowest temp setting still has "LO" or "MAX once you reach the very bottom or the very top....it just has celsius numbers in the middle as you go up or down....I just keep my Temp setting on LO or Max and then I adjust the fan speed to preference...So the Celsius thing doesnt really bother me...

Quick Reply: FlyAudio/China Unit Install w/picture