IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Air Condition Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 04:57 PM
bombermani
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Air Condition Problem

So this may go under the Maintenance thread but I figured I would get more responses from the very active IS group...

My A/C has been acting up. Whenever I turn on the engine, the micro dust and pollen removal mode light would blink for the first 10 seconds, then my air would be turned off. When I turn on my air, it's automatically set to 75, low air output, and AC is on. I lower the temperature to about 70 and only hot air comes out. I go to max LO and it's still hot air! Cold air no longer comes out of my vents!

So what's the problem? AC amplifier failure? Compressor? Any ideas??
Old 02-28-13, 08:07 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

It could be the compressor ... maybe the refrigerant is low (do cars still use them?)? I would see if there is some error code to be read. With the lights blinking and then shuts off, I assume the system detected some problem.
Old 02-28-13, 08:43 PM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Might be the ac controler. i had to have the whole gps changed on my is to fix the same problem.
Old 03-03-13, 12:40 AM
bombermani
Pole Position

Yeah.. not low on fluids. Mechanic couldn't point out where the problem was coming from so they're going to run some tests.
Old 05-26-13, 01:22 PM
StanC
Driver School Candidate

Hi! Bomermani, sorry to use your thread for the ac problem I have. My member status still does not allow me to start a new thread.

My AC recently stopped working. The AC light does not blink, but all I get is the air either around ambient temperature or slightly warmer.

After reading some posts on-line, I decided to take the car to the local Lexus dealer for ac leak diagnosis. The good news is that they said my AC system does not have any leak, no problem with the compressor, and pressure is tested normal (not sure what it means…). However, my AC pressure sensor is not working anymore. They told me the part is gonna cost me about $370 + tax, and it will take about 4 hours (~ $600 labor) to replace the sensor. I also asked the guy there if he has seen the similar problem before, and he told me that he saw the similar failure before but not on the IS 250 model. I told the guy that I will wait a bit and get back to him.
After I got home, I was reading the diagnosis report on the receipt. It says that I need to replace this part # (88706-53080). I did some search on-line and just try to find out how this part looks like.

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...ey_model=15667

I assume that this is the correct diagram for IS 250. However, when I looked at the part shown in the receipt, it doesn’t mention any sensor. It is just a piece of pipe with some mounting fixtures and screws. The part that says sensor is the 88719A. Unless this is not the correct diagram, I am really confused. I just want to make sure that I understand what dealer wants to replace.

Another thing came to my mind is to find an alternative place (perhaps Toyota dealer or even local mechanics) to do the repair. I am outside of Boston, MA area (along highway 495) so any good recommendation is really appreciated. I feel it is a pretty steep price to repair the AC problem I have. It’s lexus after all, I suppose.

Have anyone had or seen this failure before?

Thank you in advance for comments or suggestions.