IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Should I pay for 'engine rattle/knock at cold startup' repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-13, 09:15 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I pay for 'engine rattle/knock at cold startup' repair

Need your advice fellas. My car is currently at the dealership getting the carbon buildup recall repair done. They called me that they heard the rattle and if I'm interested in fixing the issue. Being that my car is well over warranty (113k) and since its not a recall, this will not be free. They won't charge me labor, since the engine is already open for the recall work, but they will charge me for parts. Parts are around $650. I might try to lower this price by mentioning sewell's prices!

I have experienced the rattle at startup. Probably happens around every 2-3 weeks. Do you think it's worth getting this fixed? If I leave it the way it is, will there be any long term effects?

Please help!
Old 05-22-13, 10:34 PM
GSdriven
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own an 06 Lexus that had everything happen that everyone else experience, the rattle, the leaking ac in the carpet floors, the water pump. All these things had been fixed but now I have a rattle again. I heard it a month ago on the hwy when I floor it. It sounded like cheap gas valve tap. Then last week, my daughter fell asleep so I parked the car in the shade and kept the car running. I shut the car off because it had been running like that for a while. when the car got warm inside. I restarted the car and I heard the rattle it was loud like a chain saw. I shut it off restarted it again and it rattle again. It starts smooth but a few seconds later you hear the racket and it stops. Right now it is in the shop to see if they can recreate the sound. Does any one know if this is the same thing that was going on a few years ago or something new that has gone wrong?
Old 05-22-13, 10:59 PM
2genIS
Pole Position

if is a cold start and rattle or knocking sound... There is a TSB for this.. hope this help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EG017-07.pdf (1.00 MB, 2174 views)
Old 05-23-13, 06:27 AM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2genIS
if is a cold start and rattle or knocking sound... There is a TSB for this.. hope this help
Yea, this is the repair they wanna do, but since I'm not under warranty, it won't be free for me. Trying to decide if its worth paying for it.
Old 05-23-13, 07:27 AM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

The repair out of warranty will run you about $2k i gotta do mine at 101k and kinda got use to it at startup
Old 05-23-13, 07:35 AM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kumar350
The repair out of warranty will run you about $2k i gotta do mine at 101k and kinda got use to it at startup
2k! Sounds like i might as well do it then since I'm not getting charged for labor, which usually makes up most of the cost. I guess my main concern is, besides the sound, are there any other long term issues that this may cause.
Old 05-23-13, 07:57 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The 2IS models are not old enough to give you long-term effects, but I can tell you that I've heard of members on here that had Lexus repair the cam rattle only to have it come back some time later. Anyhow, I'm certain that the cam rattle is caused by a low-oil condition in that part of the motor and that even new cam gears probably won't be a permanent fix. I've read someone posted on here that a Lexus tech confirmed my thoughts that the cause was a low-oil condition. Just some helpful facts that'll maybe help you make your decision.
Old 05-23-13, 10:14 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
The 2IS models are not old enough to give you long-term effects, but I can tell you that I've heard of members on here that had Lexus repair the cam rattle only to have it come back some time later. Anyhow, I'm certain that the cam rattle is caused by a low-oil condition in that part of the motor and that even new cam gears probably won't be a permanent fix. I've read someone posted on here that a Lexus tech confirmed my thoughts that the cause was a low-oil condition. Just some helpful facts that'll maybe help you make your decision.
I wish I would have read your post earlier. I approved the repair this afternoon. Didn't get much feedback here and decided to approve since with labor this would have cost a lot more. They did decrease the price of the parts when I mentioned Sewell Lexus.

Hopefully I didn't make a bad decision and I didn't just waste my money!
Old 05-24-13, 01:34 AM
USNsaint71
Rookie

Nothing you can do about it now, but make sure you get documentation of exactly what they do so if it starts to happen again you can bring it back to them and with reasonable argumentative skills you should be able to get them to fix it again with no cost to you. which could save you the 2k in the long run.

Ask if they warranty their work since they are the dealership and it is their product.

-USNsaint71
Old 05-24-13, 05:21 AM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

I have family who works at Lexus here and you all are correct the cause of the noise is when your car sits for a long period of time and the oil drips down from the cam gears. The noise you here is when you start your car and the gears and the weights have that split second of movement without and lubrication. After they begin to move the oil lubricates everything again. I have done some serious research on this because I have the cam gear rattle on start up but no warranty and out of TSB time frame to get fixed so I would have to pay out of pocket for this fix.
Old 05-24-13, 06:57 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Thanks for the confirmation! Do you think that the "revised" gears with the new part numbers will fix the low-oil condition or is it due to the design of the motor that no matter what you do it'll come back? My feeling is that the new replacement parts will inherently have tighter clearances and be able to "hold its oil" for longer...at first; but over time the parts will wear and then the noise will return.
Old 05-26-13, 05:43 AM
tonnetje
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Thanks for the confirmation! Do you think that the "revised" gears with the new part numbers will fix the low-oil condition or is it due to the design of the motor that no matter what you do it'll come back? My feeling is that the new replacement parts will inherently have tighter clearances and be able to "hold its oil" for longer...at first; but over time the parts will wear and then the noise will return.
i wil start with the redline oil because i have no waranty
but mayby its this the cheapest trick?
read the description on the redline site about the thicker oilfilm on bearings and cams!
very interesting

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=142&pcid=21
Old 10-10-13, 07:25 PM
mabrodis
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tonnetje
i wil start with the redline oil because i have no waranty
but mayby its this the cheapest trick?
read the description on the redline site about the thicker oilfilm on bearings and cams!
very interesting

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=142&pcid=21
Has the Redline oil helped at all? I'm going to try Schaeffer's moly oil additive, it is highly regarded for antiwear and I've used it in many engines.

Our 2008 IS350 definitely has the rattle, I'm happy to try different oil or even replace the cam gears myself. The work doesn't scare me just would like to know exactly what is fixed in the TSB...and it seems like the 'fix' isn't really permanent anyway.

-Mark
Old 10-10-13, 09:35 PM
neweyslex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys check out the link below. Is this the same symptom as this new recall?

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...905-2t6gl.html
Old 10-11-13, 10:54 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I think this is the symptom of the recall issue.

Quick Reply: Should I pay for 'engine rattle/knock at cold startup' repair