IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

How to prevent f'#$@ing up fenders and dampening settings question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 09:11 PM
Woowee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to prevent f'#$@ing up fenders and dampening settings question

how do you guys prevent f$@#ing up your front fenders especially when driving low and with poked wheels? i order 14/10 bc racing coilovers and should be here shortly, but just want to do some preventative measures first. Also, does changing the dampening setting all the way to stiff have anything to do with suspension travel? i did some research on some other forums and people just say it doesnt, but another forum say ALL THE WAY STIFF IS THE WAY TO GO and PREVENT RUBBING. lol. thanks in advance
Old 05-13-13, 09:30 PM
LexoticJ
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 43 Posts

I have BCR coilovers and have the dampening set to 24/32 in the front and 20/32 in the rear. and it seems to be perfect for my everyday riding around here in ATL...
Old 05-13-13, 09:32 PM
itsivan
Driver

Would setting the dampening softer make the car sit lower??
Old 05-13-13, 09:51 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by itsivan
Would setting the dampening softer make the car sit lower??
No it won't. That part doesn't have anything to do with ride height.
Old 05-13-13, 10:07 PM
ArtG
Driver

Would like to know the answer about dampeninh setting as well please
Old 05-13-13, 10:51 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got BC 14k and 10k. This is from my experience. Dampening will control how the shock compresses. The harder you have it set the firmer the ride and vice versa. It will help the control suspension travel i.e. wheel to fender movement . But not by much. All other factors such as ride height, offsets, tires, fender mods, rolled and pulled will be put into play to to see if you rub or not. This is why some people keep their specs a secret in the Stance game. Most people on CL dont mind telling you. What are your wheel specs and what size tires are you going with? Also theres a thread for this question.
Old 05-13-13, 11:01 PM
Woowee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 509IS350
Ive got BC 14k and 10k. This is from my experience. Dampening will control how the shock compresses. The harder you have it set the firmer the ride and vice versa. It will help the control suspension travel i.e. wheel to fender movement . But not by much. All other factors such as ride height, offsets, tires, fender mods, rolled and pulled will be put into play to to see if you rub or not. This is why some people keep their specs a secret in the Stance game. Most people on CL dont mind telling you. What are your wheel specs and what size tires are you going with? Also theres a thread for this question.
i'm going with 215/35 and 235/35 on 19x9 +19 and 19x10 +18.

A friend of mine is running a VERY VERY similar set up, 19x9 +23 or 22 and 19x10 +20 I think, with the same tires on 14k and 12k spring rates on full stiff lowered to maybe half a finger gap for both front and rear, with his fenders rolled, and he still rubs the front fender liner, like brociouz did.

He wants to know how to fix it, but I said I'll tell him when I run into that problem with my wheels and find a solution cause i have a little more aggressive set up than him and probably will be as low as him too lol. He duct taped the hole but he keeps rubbing everything off even with 10 layers of duct tape hahahah

i see him drive and he bottoms out sometimes too on driveways, even with an angle. I guess i just need some advice on actually how to drive a lowered car properly, but especially how to not f$@! up my fenders! Any advice on that?

Last edited by Woowee; 05-13-13 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 11:35 PM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Rub, rub, rub til you rub no more. Then get new tires. Lol jk. I grinded to metal peice down almost all the way. Did a tab relocate. I also heated the liners in that section and used scraper type tool to push the liner in. I still rub slightly. 20x9+23 on 225/30 & 20x10.5+30. The rears are fine. Its just the front. My fenders are rolled slight pull. No bacon fenders thank god
Old 05-14-13, 03:46 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ok...I have BC 12/10 I currently run 24/up front and 22/in the rear...im pretty low all around on mine...If you are going to run very low- slammed you have to relocate your bumper tabs is a must especially if you are poking(low offset), I also have my rear fenders shaved, but a slight roll would be better IMO, secondly use a heat gun and press up your fender liner to save it...its simple and take a total of 5 minutes per side...

some people run stiffer dampening settings but to me it makes the car a bit bouncy or feels bouncy which I dislike...the best way to judge it is to play with it...start from 20/f 20/r and work your way to where you feel the most comfort as well as minimal rubbing...

my setup is +32f +33r(45 - 12mm spacers)
Old 05-14-13, 09:09 AM
Woowee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 509IS350
Rub, rub, rub til you rub no more. Then get new tires. Lol jk. I grinded to metal peice down almost all the way. Did a tab relocate. I also heated the liners in that section and used scraper type tool to push the liner in. I still rub slightly. 20x9+23 on 225/30 & 20x10.5+30. The rears are fine. Its just the front. My fenders are rolled slight pull. No bacon fenders thank god
lol i seriously think that's what my friend is going through right now. his left tire's tread on the outter side rubbing the fender liner hole is soon to be dead if he rubs like that for another 2-3 weeks. i'll tell him to try that, and i'll keep that in mind so i don't have to kill a set of tires before learning. how do you avoid the bacon fenders though if you need to manuveur fast or run into a deep pot hole? is that lesson to not have your wheel turned when running into potholes or driveways or something at a high speed?

Originally Posted by iRyan
ok...I have BC 12/10 I currently run 24/up front and 22/in the rear...im pretty low all around on mine...If you are going to run very low- slammed you have to relocate your bumper tabs is a must especially if you are poking(low offset), I also have my rear fenders shaved, but a slight roll would be better IMO, secondly use a heat gun and press up your fender liner to save it...its simple and take a total of 5 minutes per side...

some people run stiffer dampening settings but to me it makes the car a bit bouncy or feels bouncy which I dislike...the best way to judge it is to play with it...start from 20/f 20/r and work your way to where you feel the most comfort as well as minimal rubbing...

my setup is +32f +33r(45 - 12mm spacers)
gotcha , haha. i'll definitely heat up my fender liners and relocate tabs before i do everything, don't want to be like my friend. do you thinkthe dampening settings actually have anything to do with suspension travel though? and how do you avoid f$@@ing your fenders besides doing all the fender mods, won't you still be able to f$#@! it upif you turn and hit a bump or something? sorry, total amateur lol.
Old 05-14-13, 09:58 AM
509IS350
Lexus Test Driver

Take turns slower than you normally would with a regular car. Remember the game is Low and Slow, not Fast and Furious. Here's how I adjusted my height for the front. With the coilovers and wheels on, full turn and lock the steering wheel one way and measure the distance from the tire to the fender center line. Turn it right and measure the right side and left and measure the left side. I also never turn full lock while driving anything over 10 mph. If you go any lower than that, then you definitely can not turn fast/fully unless you have a front camber kit. Pay to play and live and learn.