IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

"S" Mode and Paddle Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 06:43 AM
hriewe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "S" Mode and Paddle Shifters

When you put your IS in "S" mode and use the paddle shifters does it harm your car in the long run? Like does it result in a shorter transmission life or anything like that? Just wondering because I recently started using them and a friend told me it ruins your transmission really quick. Thanks!
Old 05-06-13, 07:51 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Although I cant really comment on your question, I can tell you this. Those paddles shifters are not real shifters, theyre just gear limiters btw
Old 05-06-13, 07:58 AM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm too lazy to go find the posts but I'm sure it can be found with some searching but, I once saw that a Lexus technician said to always leave it in sport mode. If you have an is250 it will help present carbon buildup or at least minimize its effects. It doesn't substantially lower the transmissions life, but higher rpms means the transmission is working harder. If you aren't racing I think you should be fine, it's only a problem if you are redlining it on a daily basis. If you give it a WOT here and there that's actually good.

I drive with sport mode on 90% of the time and my transmission is fine... and I'm at 145,000 miles.
Old 05-06-13, 08:19 AM
hriewe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RVCAis250
I'm too lazy to go find the posts but I'm sure it can be found with some searching but, I once saw that a Lexus technician said to always leave it in sport mode. If you have an is250 it will help present carbon buildup or at least minimize its effects. It doesn't substantially lower the transmissions life, but higher rpms means the transmission is working harder. If you aren't racing I think you should be fine, it's only a problem if you are redlining it on a daily basis. If you give it a WOT here and there that's actually good.

I drive with sport mode on 90% of the time and my transmission is fine... and I'm at 145,000 miles.
Hey, thanks for your answer! I saw a thread where a Lexus technician said to always run it on ECT PWR mode, is that what your refering to? or is there one where he says to run it on "S" also? btw I have an IS350.
Old 05-06-13, 08:25 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

You are not going to really hurt anything, the computer still limits what you can do. I don't use the paddles but I do use the shifter all the time for holding gears or engine braking down hills etc.
Old 05-06-13, 08:34 AM
TravyTrav
Pole Position

I only use the paddles on the highway if I'm going fast, two hands on the wheel feels safer to me.
Old 05-06-13, 08:35 AM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RVCAis250

Originally Posted by hriewe
Hey, thanks for your answer! I saw a thread where a Lexus technician said to always run it on ECT PWR mode, is that what your refering to? or is there one where he says to run it on "S" also? btw I have an IS350.
Oh yeah haha my bad, I confused the two. And that's what I was referring to.
'S' or shift mode only acts as a gear limiter. For example: when you're in 1st gear, you're saying that the transmission isn't allowed to shift above 1st. When you shift up to second, you're allowing it to shift up. However, it doesn't mean you always shifts when you shift it up. It's slightly more complicated but that's about it. It's basically a restricted automatic
Old 05-06-13, 08:49 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by vapid2323
You are not going to really hurt anything, the computer still limits what you can do. I don't use the paddles but I do use the shifter all the time for holding gears or engine braking down hills etc.
Car can hold gear on down hill even in full auto mode. You don't need to be in S mode.
Old 05-06-13, 09:01 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dojoman
Car can hold gear on down hill even in full auto mode. You don't need to be in S mode.
If you have a 2011 or newer I think, not sure when they changed it but my old 2006 IS350 needed to be in S in order to hold the gear.

Plus I like to use the shifter over the paddles.
Old 05-06-13, 09:52 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

If you have a 2011 or newer I think, not sure when they changed it but my old 2006 IS350 needed to be in S in order to hold the gear.

Plus I like to use the shifter over the paddles.
Yeah my 2008 will hold gear on downhill.
Old 05-17-13, 07:58 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Do any of you guys feel any difference between S and D? I cannot tell any difference. I can definitely tell the difference in PWR mode(really nice).
I find the S mode to be just as useless as the pedal shifters. I cannot understand Lexus not giving manual control on this car, any other manufacture does.It is just stupid on their part and nothing irritates me more on my car than the fake pedal shifters that doesn;t do what they suppose to do.
Old 05-17-13, 10:51 AM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Do any of you guys feel any difference between S and D? I cannot tell any difference. I can definitely tell the difference in PWR mode(really nice).
I find the S mode to be just as useless as the pedal shifters. I cannot understand Lexus not giving manual control on this car, any other manufacture does.It is just stupid on their part and nothing irritates me more on my car than the fake pedal shifters that doesn;t do what they suppose to do.
Uhh they do exactly what they are supposed to do, they are gear limiters and I have never seen them marketed otherwise. If you want to have more control buy an ISF or get a stick shift car.

What are you expecting the S mode to do? Something tells me you need to read the manual.
Old 05-17-13, 11:48 AM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Uhh they do exactly what they are supposed to do, they are gear limiters and I have never seen them marketed otherwise. If you want to have more control buy an ISF or get a stick shift car.

What are you expecting the S mode to do? Something tells me you need to read the manual.
Since all the paddle shifters in the cars are used to allow you to shift gears MANUALLY those doesn't do what they suppose to do.
And you are wrong, Lexus market them as gear shifters and not gear limiters, in their confusing way to mislead. It's only when you read the manual you find out that they're limiters and are useless.
Lexus description on their website. "IS sport sedans are fitted with race-inspired steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. They allow drivers to quickly upshift or downshift gears without taking their hands off the wheel." Which coming from a BMW, Acura, VW, Audi, Infinity or any other car company you might think of: manumatic.
P.s. when I shop for this car all the dealers I came across had no idea those are gear limiters and not shifters.
Old 05-17-13, 12:13 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Originally Posted by keyframe13
Since all the paddle shifters in the cars are used to allow you to shift gears MANUALLY those doesn't do what they suppose to do.
And you are wrong, Lexus market them as gear shifters and not gear limiters, in their confusing way to mislead. It's only when you read the manual you find out that they're limiters and are useless.
Lexus description on their website. "IS sport sedans are fitted with race-inspired steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters. They allow drivers to quickly upshift or downshift gears without taking their hands off the wheel." Which coming from a BMW, Acura, VW, Audi, Infinity or any other car company you might think of: manumatic.
P.s. when I shop for this car all the dealers I came across had no idea those are gear limiters and not shifters.
Well ok then, you are correct.

When you shopped for the car did you test drive it? When I drove the ISF and tested the shifter I could instantly tell the difference from test driving the IS350.
Old 05-17-13, 12:31 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Well ok then, you are correct.

When you shopped for the car did you test drive it? When I drove the ISF and tested the shifter I could instantly tell the difference from test driving the IS350.
I didn't play with the shifters in test drive, I could never imagine those are not real shifters as all the cars in the world use the +/- for that. I was quite disappointed to find out in the manual.
Usually many cars manufactures have P R N D 3 2 1 where 3, 2, 1 are the shift limiters, and separate from D , +/- for manual overdrive shift.
I think Lexus purposely used this technique to mislead.

Quick Reply: "S" Mode and Paddle Shifters