IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Possible Major Engine Problem (<60k)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-13, 09:19 AM
DanUVA07
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Major Engine Problem (<60k)

Hi all,

So driving to work this morning (5 minute commute) my 2006 IS 350 started marking horrible knocking noises from the engine compartment. I had the car towed to an independent Lexus mechanic who has been great to work with in the past.

He said there was definitely something "loose" in the engine, it sounded like it coming from the timing chain area. He reviewed the service history and noticed the Valve Spring recall. That recall required taking apart the engine, of course, and he felt that this type of problem coming from this engine (less thank 60k) would be exceedingly rare if everything was done properly. Even though the recall was performed in May 2011 (per Lexus), he thought it was still likely that something got loose over time and recommended the dealership look at it first and take care of the problem if it appears to be their fault.

So the car is at the dealer. I'll update this thread, but any advice or thoughts are welcome.

BTW, I used to post here regularly when I first got the car (2006-08) but can't seem to get my old login to work.
Old 04-30-13, 09:23 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WOW, keep us updated for sure! You don't hear too often of a major engine issue on such a low mileage Lexus. Was it a knock when you would give it some gas or a consistent knocking sound at all times?
Old 04-30-13, 09:33 AM
DanUVA07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Was it a knock when you would give it some gas or a consistent knocking sound at all times?
It all happened pretty quick, but once I identified the noise was coming from the car (for a few seconds, I thought it was jackhammers doing construction somewhere, seriously), the sound was pretty consistent but more pronounced when I tried to give it gas, which I only did a couple times.

There was just nothing as far as acceleration. Fortunately I was able to coast into a surface lot and wait for a tow.
Old 04-30-13, 09:56 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

My older RX had done something similar to what your describing at 139K and the motor had gone out.
Old 04-30-13, 12:53 PM
DanUVA07
Driver School Candidate

L3XOTIC, that doesn't sound good for me, but thanks for the info.

The Lexus dealership I towed it to called and said they would like to send it to the dealership that performed most of the service on the car, including the valve spring recall. The two dealerships are owned by the same company. Dealership is paying for the tow. Didn't provide any additional details about the problem.

We'll see how it goes.
Old 04-30-13, 03:02 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

At least they took it to the other Dealer to get it looked at. Hope all goes well!
Old 04-30-13, 03:16 PM
jleeIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DanUVA07
Hi all,

So driving to work this morning (5 minute commute) my 2006 IS 350 started marking horrible knocking noises from the engine compartment. I had the car towed to an independent Lexus mechanic who has been great to work with in the past.

He said there was definitely something "loose" in the engine, it sounded like it coming from the timing chain area. He reviewed the service history and noticed the Valve Spring recall. That recall required taking apart the engine, of course, and he felt that this type of problem coming from this engine (less thank 60k) would be exceedingly rare if everything was done properly. Even though the recall was performed in May 2011 (per Lexus), he thought it was still likely that something got loose over time and recommended the dealership look at it first and take care of the problem if it appears to be their fault.

So the car is at the dealer. I'll update this thread, but any advice or thoughts are welcome.

BTW, I used to post here regularly when I first got the car (2006-08) but can't seem to get my old login to work.
My first instinct is to ask if it sounded like the timing chain was stretched but not with an engine that has less than 60k. Hope the dealer takes care of you, keep us updated.
Old 04-30-13, 04:34 PM
Clay Easto
Pole Position

Ouch, please keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 04-30-13, 05:34 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Did it sound like a tractor or something like? Was it RPM-dependent?

Old 05-01-13, 07:47 PM
DanUVA07
Driver School Candidate

So I got a message (voicemail) from the dealership - he said he did not have any more information on the car except that there is a "Lexus technical representative" coming out on Friday, so there won't be any news until then. Does anybody know what/who that is? I assume it's a Lexus corporate person.

Gville, it did seem slightly RPM dependent, but it was hard to tell since I really only hit the gas once or twice before shutting off. The sound was literally like a jackhammer or maybe a roller coaster going up the hill (clack-clack-clack).
Old 05-01-13, 08:23 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DanUVA07
So I got a message (voicemail) from the dealership - he said he did not have any more information on the car except that there is a "Lexus technical representative" coming out on Friday, so there won't be any news until then. Does anybody know what/who that is? I assume it's a Lexus corporate person.

Gville, it did seem slightly RPM dependent, but it was hard to tell since I really only hit the gas once or twice before shutting off. The sound was literally like a jackhammer or maybe a roller coaster going up the hill (clack-clack-clack).
lexus tech rep is basically the guy thats in charge of diagnosing problems and gathers info from within his "area" of lexus dealerships. if a dealership cant figure it out, they call them for assistance.

I think by the way you're describing it is that your timing chain is slapping against the guides instead of riding with it. possibly that the timing chain tensioner went out causing it.
Old 05-02-13, 01:51 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Either the spun bearing or bad timing chain will result in probably needing either a new motor or new major components. Hope to God that I am wrong thought!
Old 05-03-13, 01:14 PM
DanUVA07
Driver School Candidate

Just received an update - fyi, I was not in a place to take notes, so this is based on my memory.

per the service manager, they diagnosed that the problem as an issue related to a component mounted to the front of the engine. I believe he said it was the VM or VMI (?); in any event, one or more of the bolts came loose and that's what's causing the problem. He thinks it will take til Mon or Tues to fix. I asked about the price and who was taking care of it, and he didn't have any information on that yet but said they recognize I've been a good customer and the car has been well-maintained at their dealership.

Anyone have any thoughts on this - could it be related to the valve spring recall?
Old 05-03-13, 01:15 PM
DanUVA07
Driver School Candidate

I think the VM or VMI was also referred to as the "computer," FWIW.
Old 05-03-13, 01:34 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

they are doing work on your car without you knowing the price?

thats not good.

Quick Reply: Possible Major Engine Problem (<60k)