IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Will these decoders work for LED DRLs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13, 09:16 PM
bronakk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these decoders work for LED DRLs?

I've been looking to get LED DRL's to match my 6k HID fogs. VLEDS doesn't have the modules in stock, iJDMTOY's modules won't fit inside the housing and they don't have the slim ones anymore so I looked on Ebay and came across these. I was wondering if they would work for our DRL's. I have a 2008 IS250 btw. Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-9005-HB3-LED-LOAD-RESISTORS-WARNING-CANCELERS-DECODERS-NO-FLICKERS-HYPERFLASH-/181039883637?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AIS250&hash=item2a26d16575&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-9005-LED-Headlight-Fog-Light-DRL-No-Error-Load-Resistor-No-Flickering-Decoder-/321004419677?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4abd5aba5d&vxp=mtr

Or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-9005-White-LED-bulbs-w-Decoder-for-High-Beam-Daytime-Running-Light-for-Lexus-/121072707418?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c307ee75a&vxp=mtr
Old 04-29-13, 08:12 AM
Kasim
Pit Crew

I was wondering the same thing...
since one of my v-leds DRL start flickering.

but, i've seen some description when it says, that those decoders running HOT and should be mount away from plastic.
I know that you want to keep them inside housing, i think it maybe not Safe.

vLeds WTF, restock already !!!!
I'll be calling them later today.

Update:
Just called vLeds, they said that they are working on new Module and it takes much longer than they expected,
they estimating around 3-4 weeks, but i wouldn't bank on that

Last edited by Kasim; 04-29-13 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-29-13, 10:15 AM
Chow
Pit Crew

My VLed modules suck. I have replaced 2 sets and they are still blowing fuses. Now I have no DRL for the time being. Hopefully their new modules actually work.
Old 04-29-13, 11:47 AM
Kasim
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Chow
My VLed modules suck. I have replaced 2 sets and they are still blowing fuses. Now I have no DRL for the time being. Hopefully their new modules actually work.
Mine working fine over year and half, but just recently one start flickering.
I like vLeds since they fit in housing, i'll be waiting for new ones
Old 04-29-13, 10:58 PM
my1s250
Lead Lap

i have a pair of v-led decoder under my bed if you need it
Old 05-03-13, 12:27 PM
Adamm
Driver School Candidate

Default Slim Decoders

Hey guys I need a set of slim decoders to fit behind my moisture covers can anyone direct me to a place that carries them or can someone sell me a set please email me gadam332@gmail.com
Old 05-22-13, 10:59 PM
rockinalex
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the decoders really necessary? what happens if you do not install a decoder?
Old 06-12-13, 08:24 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockinalex
Are the decoders really necessary? what happens if you do not install a decoder?
They will flicker and be dim. Anyone know of a place (other than vleds) to get a slim decoder that will fit in the moisture cover?
Old 06-12-13, 09:01 PM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Just FYI, if you’re installing DRL without decoder, the bulbs will either flicker or won’t turn on at all.
I don’t recommend using a slim decoder inside the moisture cover; the load resistor will most likely melt all the plastic within your dust cap. You might burn yourself if you touch the load resistor after being on for a minute. Those decoders are out of stock because they have issues therefore they are not restocking them. Some decoders will melt your DRL power connector. I read so many posts / search on this topic so much.
Also, I called VLEDs and spoke with Thura I think; he’s very knowledgeable on this decoder issue and how it operates. He said it might even take months for them to come up with a decoder that will work.
I think the best way to get them to work is use that fat decoder and drill a hole on the dust cover and then use some sort of sealants to seal the hole. You can always purchase the dusk cap from Lexus dealership (Part number 8113553240).
Old 06-12-13, 10:41 PM
rsg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather wait for a decoder that fits inside the cover. Ever since one of my vleds decoders died, I've been driving with the DRL/high beam fuse pulled waiting for a good solution. I've even thought about using a relay to supply power to the DRL LED from the battery, bypassing the need for any module. This can also be easily reversed.
Old 06-13-13, 06:15 AM
AliIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jimjaix
Just FYI, if you’re installing DRL without decoder, the bulbs will either flicker or won’t turn on at all.
I don’t recommend using a slim decoder inside the moisture cover; the load resistor will most likely melt all the plastic within your dust cap. You might burn yourself if you touch the load resistor after being on for a minute. Those decoders are out of stock because they have issues therefore they are not restocking them. Some decoders will melt your DRL power connector. I read so many posts / search on this topic so much.
Also, I called VLEDs and spoke with Thura I think; he’s very knowledgeable on this decoder issue and how it operates. He said it might even take months for them to come up with a decoder that will work.
I think the best way to get them to work is use that fat decoder and drill a hole on the dust cover and then use some sort of sealants to seal the hole. You can always purchase the dusk cap from Lexus dealership (Part number 8113553240).
Don't know what you're talking about, just seems like there are alot of issues with VLED's. Been running these slim decoders from IJDMTOY for a year with no issues (no melting of the power connector, plastics, covers etc).

Edit: I ordered another set for my girlfriend not too long ago and had the slims decoders as well.

[/QUOTE]
Old 06-13-13, 06:50 AM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AliIS
Don't know what you're talking about, just seems like there are alot of issues with VLED's. Been running these slim decoders from IJDMTOY for a year with no issues (no melting of the power connector, plastics, covers etc).

Edit: I ordered another set for my girlfriend not too long ago and had the slims decoders as well.

[/QUOTE]

I don't know, I just read about the decoder casuing the plug to melt on my.is

I am not sure how hot your slim decoder gets, but based on the images the op provided the 1stand 2nd type will need to be attached to metal. With the heat that it generates within the dust cap, I don't think it will do any good to the headlight since there will be air circulation problem. Maybe the slim decoder you have is different...
Old 06-13-13, 07:08 AM
bronakk
Driver School Candidate

I don't know, I just read about the decoder casuing the plug to melt on my.is

I am not sure how hot your slim decoder gets, but based on the images the op provided the 1stand 2nd type will need to be attached to metal. With the heat that it generates within the dust cap, I don't think it will do any good to the headlight since there will be air circulation problem. Maybe the slim decoder you have is different...[/QUOTE]

When did you get the slim decoders from ijdmtoy? I asked them about the slim ones but they said they don't have any in stock and won't have them for a while. Only the bulky ones.
Old 06-13-13, 08:23 AM
jimjaix
Lead Lap

By the way, anyone using a decoder that DOES NOT use high beam function as DRL? it seems tons of them are using high beam function as DRL.
Old 06-14-13, 02:21 AM
Frosty250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jimjaix
Thura is not from V-LEDs. He is from iJDMTOY. But yes he is very knowledge regarding anything LEDs.