Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 06:02 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Auto Trans Problems

UPDATE - SCROLL DOWN TO POST #9

hey guys and gals,

i was wondering if anyone else has had transmission problems with their isx50. i have a 2008 is250 and for the past year or so i have had lower gear shifting issues - primarily when the car is warmed up and i'm either in heavy traffic or in stop-and-go conditions. the car will jerk when going from first to second or from second to third. i've taken it to the dealer a number of times and they could never replicate the issue (BS).

anyhow, my check engine light finally came on a few days ago (along with the vsc and tc lights) and so i took it to the dealership (i'm covered under the lexus platinum extended warranty). they called me back the next day and told me the trans solenoid/s is/are bad according to the codes pulled.

so basically they're going to pull apart the transmission and replace the solenoid/s as well as look for any further damage. i was told by my service adviser that auto transmission problems with the car are super rare.

they also decided to keep the car, at my insistence, to perform the top-engine rebuild which was approved months ago but hasn't been done due to lack of parts. i insisted the do it now due to all of the issues the car has had and they agreed only because i called lexus corporate. so my car is having major work on it. how many miles on the clock? less than 50k.

ridiculous for a lexus.

Last edited by davyjordi; 05-03-13 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-25-13, 07:38 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just out of curiousity, did they tell you what codes they pulled for the transmission?
Old 04-25-13, 08:46 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

they didn't tell me, although i'll ask when i get the car back.
Old 04-26-13, 07:13 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good luck bro. Damm that's not many miles!!
Old 04-26-13, 11:30 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Good luck bro. Damm that's not many miles!!
thanks! and yeah, the car has really low miles for the year - i just can't believe how many problems i've had with it!

the dealer called today and said that i would have the loaner for about two weeks - hopefully i'll get my car back before then, although i know extensive engine and transmission work takes time.
Old 04-26-13, 12:04 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my car kinda does the same thing, it jerks a little bit in stop and go conditions but I thought that was normal, nothing out of the ordinary since I owned the car. When you get the car back, see if it is still happening, i would love to know if it does
Old 04-26-13, 12:44 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
my car kinda does the same thing, it jerks a little bit in stop and go conditions but I thought that was normal, nothing out of the ordinary since I owned the car. When you get the car back, see if it is still happening, i would love to know if it does
mine definitely had the problem develop over the years. i'll update, though, when i get the car back and if the problem is still there the car will be right back at the dealer.

the minor downshifts are normal, though. the loaner IS they gave me has perceptible downshifts that are just a bit more perceptible than any other car i've owned - which has only been one other (an e90) - hah! that aside, the problem with my car was/is severe.
Old 04-29-13, 08:32 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I noticed that in my car it only happens in regular mode and the car down shifts before I hit the gas again. This is the first shiftable automatic that I've owned so I don't really know how they act yet but it has been pretty consistent in only stop and go traffic. Mostly noticeable between first and second gear
Old 05-03-13, 05:21 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

so, i just picked up my car where it had extensive work done. it's a 2008 is250, ~49,000 miles, luxury package, navigation - which was replaced, btw, in 2009 after it failed.

an itemised, verbatim, i.e. as written on the invoice, list follows per the service sheet that i was given -

1. p2757 torque converter pressure control solenoid control circuit performance or stuck off. correction: replaced transmission solenoid assembly for overdrive lockup, lexus 72 month or 70,000 mile powertrain warranty.

2. partial engine rebuild per csb. correction: update pistons and associated components with new. see below for parts replaced. (on the sheet just below this is a list of all of the parts replaced, e.g. piston sub-assy, gasket kit, piston ring set, etc.)

3. headlight assembly defect. correction: replace left headlamp assembly, lexus platinum ext warranty.

4. internal malfunction of rear view mirror assembly. correction: replace inside rear view mirror assembly, lexus platinum ext warranty.

5. water pump leaking. correction: water pump assy and gasket replaced, lexus platinum ext warranty.

6. trunk shocks failing. correction: replaced trunk shocks with new, lexus platinum ext warranty.

total cost covered by powertrain and extended warranty: $9336.06

out-of-pocket cost: $0

safety recalls performed:
1.front wiper arm nut, tsb
2. internal trunk release lever (handle), tsb

so basically, make sure you buy the extended warranty! i've had a lot of work done on the car prior to this as well - i thought i was buying lexus to avoid teutonic problems. i mean, it's been at the dealer over the past (nearly) five years A LOT. don't get me wrong, i love my car, and that's why i've kept it. it's paid off and all, but i could have easily have also loved a comparable bmw with an extended warranty as well.

Last edited by davyjordi; 05-03-13 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-04-13, 02:40 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

no comments? did i get a lemon or what? i can't be the only one who has experienced so many problems! the car has been meticulously maintained by lexus. i'm perplexed!

i'm sort of in a position in which if i sell the car, as it's paid off, i won't recoup enough to buy a comparable car with the mileage (~49,500) and physical condition my car has and is in - mechanical condition, too, i suppose now that the engine and transmission have had major work done on them despite the engine work being a large band-aid. that, and i'm positive i won't find a comparable car with all of the aforementioned AND continued warranty coverage. i don't want another payment. should i just keep it and deal with any potential future problems as i'm still covered by the extended warranty and will be until 2016? or sell? input?
Old 05-04-13, 06:27 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

Besides the torque converter and trans noid, everything else is common 2IS "problems" or TSIBs. Glad you got everything handled @ zero to you!
Old 05-04-13, 08:16 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah it looks like fairly common issues with the 2IS except for the transmission related issues.
Transmission issues are very rare for the automatic 2IS.
Old 05-05-13, 02:23 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

thanks for the responses, guys.

i'm keeping the car as it's found its way into my heart. that said, it has spent a whole lot of time at the dealership.

and from what everyone at the dealer has told me, auto trans problems are, indeed, very rare with the is250. i just happen to be an unlucky owner. as for the rest of the issues, i suppose it is sort of relieving to hear they are common, albeit not comforting.

oh, and yep, the car does have really low miles for a 2008!

thanks again all! and i'm glad the $10k in work was all covered by the warranty!!

Last edited by davyjordi; 05-05-13 at 02:29 AM.
Old 05-07-13, 05:57 AM
sdwis250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't those repairs be covered on a CPO without platinum as well?
Old 05-07-13, 06:04 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sdwis250
Wouldn't those repairs be covered on a CPO without platinum as well?
Yes they would, also everything but numer 3, 4 and 6 on his list would be covered by the powertrain warranty

Quick Reply: Auto Trans Problems