IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

No Front License plate in CA

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-13, 12:30 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by axis77
California requires a front and rear plate...I think if anyone who bought it brand new they had the option to get the front plate holder drilled into there front bumper..I wasnt asked when I bought mine...4 years later i get pulled over for no plate...had to get a front bracket from RHO PLATE...works awesome have had it on ever since..http://rhoplate.com/
interesting idea! is it just so that we don't need to drills holes on bumper?

how's installation ?
Old 04-22-13, 10:38 AM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BINGO! thats exactly what its for, you use the towhook in your front bumper. the rho plate comes with everything you need, just pop off the tow hook cover "please store in a safe place" and screw in the rod into your towhook and attach the plate pretty sweet and its looks custom and you dont have to have holes in your front bumper and its CHP Approved! haha. when i took my car to get verified the CHP man thought the plate was awesome, he stated he was used to people trying the sticky tape method or putting the plate up in your dash which doesnt work, its very secure ive had it for years now.
Old 04-22-13, 10:42 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dorkacho
how much front tint you have for cops to notice and pull you over?
NONE.

its "illegal" to have front tints

im running 20% cause I dont care tho (knock on wood)
Old 04-22-13, 11:01 AM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by axis77
BINGO! thats exactly what its for, you use the towhook in your front bumper. the rho plate comes with everything you need, just pop off the tow hook cover "please store in a safe place" and screw in the rod into your towhook and attach the plate pretty sweet and its looks custom and you dont have to have holes in your front bumper and its CHP Approved! haha. when i took my car to get verified the CHP man thought the plate was awesome, he stated he was used to people trying the sticky tape method or putting the plate up in your dash which doesnt work, its very secure ive had it for years now.
i will look into this! thanks! does it require a plate frame?
Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
NONE.

its "illegal" to have front tints

im running 20% cause I dont care tho (knock on wood)
i kind of want to tint the slightest so maybe they can't tell? esp CA so sunny..

dang 20%? is that transmittance or bloackage?
Old 04-22-13, 11:07 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

i kind of want to tint the slightest so maybe they can't tell? esp CA so sunny..

I have 20-percent tint, meaning it allows for only 20 percent of exterior light levels to enter the vehicle.
Old 04-22-13, 11:19 AM
dong888
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gettign pulled over by cop is really hit or miss but heavily weighted based on the places you go to. If you younger, you have higher chances to meet the cops who actually bother to pull you over for tiny stuff like this. It gives them an excuse to pull you over to check other things, DUI, radar detector, or whatever he wants to check.

If you are in the working field or even have kids, you tend to go to places where it is business related or family oriented, cops patrolling those area don't really care about tinted windows or missing front license plate, unless your car shows as one of the trouble maker type. I can name three areas that are usually trouble, near school, club houses, and apartments.

I have been running no front license plate for 15+ years and only got 1 fix ticket in college days. I am in NorCal.
Old 04-22-13, 06:30 PM
axis77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the RHO kit comes with everything you need. just attach your license plate.

i used to have 35% which looks light smoke grey barely there...DOESNT MATTER NO TINT IS ALLOWED IN CALIFORNIA.
Old 04-22-13, 07:04 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want tint for the cops not to notice. Go with Llumar Air Blue 80, or 3M Crystalline 90.

Llumar Air Blue 80 (78%), essentially would provide you with reducing the glare without affecting the overall light since the difference of about 20% is virtually indistinguishable to the eye without a side by side comparison. When people look at my car, they don't even know that there is even a front window tint on there.

http://truestreetcars.com/forums/lom...-cant-see.html

Old 04-22-13, 08:12 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

whoa yeah, that is barely noticeable! are those normally carried by most tint shops?
Old 04-22-13, 08:39 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did this for my plate solution. In CA even parking meter enforcement can give you a ticket for no front plate while your car is parked. I have 35% tint all around.
Old 04-22-13, 08:53 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

that is so cool with the plate! where can i get one? do you only hide it when at shows and stuff?

and 35% include front windshield?
Old 04-22-13, 08:55 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dong888
Gettign pulled over by cop is really hit or miss but heavily weighted based on the places you go to. If you younger, you have higher chances to meet the cops who actually bother to pull you over for tiny stuff like this. It gives them an excuse to pull you over to check other things, DUI, radar detector, or whatever he wants to check.

If you are in the working field or even have kids, you tend to go to places where it is business related or family oriented, cops patrolling those area don't really care about tinted windows or missing front license plate, unless your car shows as one of the trouble maker type. I can name three areas that are usually trouble, near school, club houses, and apartments.

I have been running no front license plate for 15+ years and only got 1 fix ticket in college days. I am in NorCal.
Guess I'm just lucky

And to whoever is saying any tint is illegal you can tint the back as dark as you want (passenger and driver rear window)

For me tint is mainly to protect my interior and make it so people can't see my fancy interior. Too many thieves in SoCal don't want anyone jacking my radar detector etc.
Old 04-22-13, 08:57 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that is so cool with the plate! where can i get one? do you only hide it when at shows and stuff?

and 35% include front windshield?
you can get online. PM me and I'll give you the info. I always keep it in unless I think I'm getting pulled over. I have an 8" strip of 5% tint on the windshield.
Old 04-22-13, 09:30 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

whoa yeah, that is barely noticeable! are those normally carried by most tint shops?
Only authorized Llumar tints shops can carry it.
Old 04-22-13, 10:51 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now most of the dealerships put the front bumper plates on as it is required by law. I know for my model it was optional but in CA if the DMV distributes 2 plates for you, they both have to be on. I've gotten away with it quite easily though. I just carry the extra plate around and when I get pulled over I just tell the officer my front plate just fell off from my zip ties. There is no holes on my bumper so it is believable.