IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2008 model / Ocassional Ticking/Rattling/Tapping Noise at start up (NOT COLD start)

Old 04-18-13, 10:05 PM
reza679
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2008 model / Ocassional Ticking/Rattling/Tapping Noise at start up (NOT COLD start)

Hi everyone,
I just bought my first Lexus ever (2008 IS250) less than 2 month ago! Whilst I’m pretty happy with the car, but something is really annoying me!

Occasional and intermittent Ticking/Rattling/Tapping Noise at start up!!!! (just happened 3-4 times since 1 month ago and NONE of them happened at the cold start!)

I know there were well know problem of rattling noise at the cold start for pre-07 models which apparently the problem was faulty VVT hub or something like that and it was a TSB published regarding this problem. BUT mine is 2008 model (apparently they already fixed the problem after 07!) and never happened at the cold start!

I bought the vehicle second hand from Lexus dealership and will run out of statuary warranty soon (2 weeks), I tried to convince them about the problem but since it’s occasional, then I couldn’t replicate the problem at Lexus dealership and prove it to them!
I tried to capture it on tape but no success yet. They are refusing to fix the problem

The sound is more like a very rapid clicking (like switching noise - something (electronic?) is switching in the engine bay rapidly for less than second or trying to switch) which happen when the speedometer & tachometer needles getting close to the end range. I checked if the noise coming from needless or not , but the actual noise coming from the engine bay or somewhere behind the dash.
The sound is very similar to the clicking sound of engine if someone try to start it with dried battery (but this clicking sound is much faster and happens when the engine already started running) - i tried my best to explain this strange sound

the period of the sound is sometime just one click/rattle after start up and sometimes 4-5 click/rattle after start-up(which all happens in less than second)

Also,
Another intermittent and occasional problem is water gurgling (bubbling noise) sound coming from behind the dash and more frequent in hot days. This problem is also very intermittent and occasional and happens in start (NOT necessarily cold start). My research end up with possible water-pump problem or coolant air-lock (just saying as I'm definitely not an expert or mechanic!).

I desperately appreciate your help!

Any idea? How can I prove it to them? I sold my PUG407 and bought a Lexus to live a hassle free life! Cannot afford another challenge and fight for this one again!
Please tell me how to handle this problem or better to sell this !
I’m so fussy and spent heaps of $ to rectify numerous problems on my previous car and don’t have neither money nor energy for this one!

thanks mates!
Old 04-19-13, 05:28 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Take a video of this... it is much easier to diagnose a "noise" issue if everyone else can hear it too.
Old 04-19-13, 06:26 AM
reza679
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
Take a video of this... it is much easier to diagnose a "noise" issue if everyone else can hear it too.
I know mate , if i can tale a video i can prove it to lexus as well unfortunately it's so intermittent and very difficult to film it i tried to describe the problem as detailed as i could!
Old 04-19-13, 12:21 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Due to the direct injection system we have a known "ticking" noise MOST of the time. The ONLY time I do NOT hear it off the bat is during a COLD start. But once you put it in drive, I believe that is when it starts up again. I believe you are hearing the same ticking sound that you hear during normal operation. On a WARM start, I would have not expected the engine to cool enough and the ticking would still continue.

Listen to your motor during normal operating temps, and then listen to it during a warm re-start. Does it not sound the same?
Old 04-19-13, 05:34 PM
reza679
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Due to the direct injection system we have a known "ticking" noise MOST of the time. The ONLY time I do NOT hear it off the bat is during a COLD start. But once you put it in drive, I believe that is when it starts up again. I believe you are hearing the same ticking sound that you hear during normal operation. On a WARM start, I would have not expected the engine to cool enough and the ticking would still continue.

Listen to your motor during normal operating temps, and then listen to it during a warm re-start. Does it not sound the same?
Thanks so much mate for your answer,
Yes i'm aware of that noise( fast ticking/tapping noise) which u can hear all the time. I also have that noise which i know that's completely normal!
The noise which i'm talking about is slower than that fast ticking and much louder! It's just 5-6 loud tick/tap/rattle which is different from that normal ticking( direct injection ticking)
The noise is very similiar to the ticking noise when u wanna start the car with weak battery , but definitely it's not the case for me because i hear the noise when the car already started running!
Strange noise! Thanks again for your time

Last edited by reza679; 04-19-13 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-19-13, 07:30 PM
medic250
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reza, I have the same issue on my 2008 also, the same loud ticking noise on startup that your talking about, I've had it checked out and nothing. My advice, just live with it haha. I take it as another DI qwuerck.
Old 04-19-13, 08:45 PM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

My 2007 IS350 had the same problem. It would only happen when my car was parked at a declined angle. I took videos of it and the dealer still didn't believe me. It took them 3 hours to replicate the noise.
Old 04-19-13, 09:13 PM
reza679
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ScoobyLai
My 2007 IS350 had the same problem. It would only happen when my car was parked at a declined angle. I took videos of it and the dealer still didn't believe me. It took them 3 hours to replicate the noise.
Thanks dude for ur reply, can u please post ur video here to see if that's similiar to mine or not? it will be such a great help if i have something in my hand when going to lexus!
What was the source of the noise?
How should i park my car to replicate the noise! Mine is doing it very randomly! thanks again mate and waiting for ur video

Last edited by reza679; 04-19-13 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-19-13, 09:18 PM
reza679
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by medic250
Reza, I have the same issue on my 2008 also, the same loud ticking noise on startup that your talking about, I've had it checked out and nothing. My advice, just live with it haha. I take it as another DI qwuerck.
Thanks medic! Dont ask me to live with this noise! ( i sold my PUG407 for exactly the same reason and lost heaps of money! lexus is pretty expensive here( Australia )! I could buy brand new aurion presara with the money i paid for this 4-5 years old is250! i didnt expect this noise at all! do u have a video or something for ur problem? Urs also more frequent in the hot days?
Old 04-19-13, 10:07 PM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

Originally Posted by reza679
Thanks dude for ur reply, can u please post ur video here to see if that's similiar to mine or not? it will be such a great help if i have something in my hand when going to lexus!
What was the source of the noise?
How should i park my car to replicate the noise! Mine is doing it very randomly! thanks again mate and waiting for ur video
Mine was more of a rattle noise on random start ups when I was parked while the front was facing down on a declined road or hill. They found out that it was a "cam gear rattle". They replaced the whole assembly and took them 3 days...

you have to listen to the video carefully, as you can only hear a quick grind/rattle noise right when it starts up. Hopefully this helps you out...
Old 04-20-13, 12:28 AM
reza679
Driver School Candidate

Mine was more of a rattle noise on random start ups when I was parked while the front was facing down on a declined road or hill. They found out that it was a "cam gear rattle". They replaced the whole assembly and took them 3 days...

2007 Lexus IS350 cam gear rattle - YouTube

you have to listen to the video carefully, as you can only hear a quick grind/rattle noise right when it starts up. Hopefully this helps you out...
thanks dude so much for uploading the video, I'm not sure if mine making the same noise! i know some pre-07 had the VVT rattle noise (TSB already has been published by Lexus), probably it was the case for you, what was the built Month of your car? it was like early 07?

how frequent was your problem? like randomly every day or every other day? or totally random? i can hear yours is grinding/ rattling noise but mine is more like a ticking/switching/tapping noise! not sure at all mine is just happnede 5-6 times, never cold start and more frequent at hot days!
thanks again dude
Old 04-20-13, 12:32 AM
reza679
Driver School Candidate

2007 Lexus IS350 cam gear rattle - YouTube

this is the TSB i was talking about! was the VIN numbers applicable to yours?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EG017-07.pdf (1.00 MB, 728 views)
Old 04-20-13, 07:52 AM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

Originally Posted by reza679
thanks dude so much for uploading the video, I'm not sure if mine making the same noise! i know some pre-07 had the VVT rattle noise (TSB already has been published by Lexus), probably it was the case for you, what was the built Month of your car? it was like early 07?

how frequent was your problem? like randomly every day or every other day? or totally random? i can hear yours is grinding/ rattling noise but mine is more like a ticking/switching/tapping noise! not sure at all mine is just happnede 5-6 times, never cold start and more frequent at hot days!
thanks again dude
Mine was built after the TSB. It was a late 2007 model. Mine would happen almost every day. First it was very random in the beginning, then months later it became very frequent. I didn't think much of it but as soon as it was more frequent, I immidately just turned on my phone's video recorder.
Old 04-20-13, 08:01 PM
reza679
Driver School Candidate

Mine was built after the TSB. It was a late 2007 model. Mine would happen almost every day. First it was very random in the beginning, then months later it became very frequent. I didn't think much of it but as soon as it was more frequent, I immidately just turned on my phone's video recorder.
thanks dude,
i'm still not sure if this noise is same as mine or not! hope this is not!
mine started since 1 month ago and doing that very randomly(never in cold start) , probably 5-6 times in total so far! mine will run out of warranty in 10 days! i think i have no way o prove it and force Lexus to fix it! i will keep filming that and hope ... !

thaks again
Old 04-21-13, 10:10 PM
reza679
Driver School Candidate

not any suggestion what should i do with my lexi and how i can replicate the noise? my car will run out of warranty in 1 week!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 model / Ocassional Ticking/Rattling/Tapping Noise at start up (NOT COLD start)