IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Finally lowered! Favorite mod so far.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-13, 05:56 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great Zach, absolutely loving the drop...hope my paint looks as good as yours after Wednesday
Old 04-15-13, 06:30 AM
TUNG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O snap! Zach always having a clean nice car, I'm slapping the same coilovers on as you soon. Your detailing advice is always helpful
Old 04-15-13, 07:18 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Wow that looks real good, esp on the 18s.

So tempted to take my tein s techs off and get some coils now...
^That's why I didn't even bother with springs... just knew coils were the only way to go. Very happy with them so far.

Originally Posted by RVCAis250
wow it seriously looks amazing... probably one of the best looking clean and classy IS's
^Thanks man!

Originally Posted by sleekbrian
The paint looks immaculate! The drop made the car x10 sexier.
^Detailing is what I do! Thanks!

Originally Posted by NYG
I rarely ever comment on peoples cars on here, but this my friend is THE one. clean, classy, and you can tell you put some sweat into detailing her. I always appreciate someone who gets down to the nooks and crannys. Don't go overboard and ruin her now, shes perfect!
^You talking about the SGM on Genesis wheels? Love that ride, I was/am thinking about Genesis wheels as well. I really love the clean, OEM but different sort of look and feel. Definitely not going to go overboard.. maybe just a couple small tasteful mods (gfx front and rear + wheels) and that'll be about it.

Originally Posted by Silver10
Leave it as is.......Team Stockies FTW
^I don't mind the stockies, but a couple of them are pretty curb rashed... plus I need to get some winter tires for next year so figured I would just put the winter tires on the stockies and upgrade summer wheels... we'll see.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Remembers me when my cousin use to go the the dealership

He always taped a DO NOT WASH to the steering wheel

Simple and clean as always!
^Can't let the dealer "wash" the car... I've seen what they use and it is not up to my standards to say the least. Car will come out swirled like crazy. I always like to wander through the show room while I am waiting... plenty of brand new cars in there with trashed paint from their "detailers"

Originally Posted by supralative
Congrats
they ride pretty good huh
I didn't change the spring rate from what they were sent as
I might stiffen the front up abit though
my height is were I like it as well
if I do that I will lower the height back down to compensate for the stiffening the spring rate
^They ride nice... just a bit stiffer than stock, but hardly noticeable. Handing is greatly improved - I'm loving it! I haven't messed with the damping yet... just left them the same way that Yohan had em set up when he shipped em to me. I may raise it up just a touch.

Originally Posted by Tonyy
Looks great man! I think the stockies look just fine.. That's definitely the way they should've came from the factory.

I can't wait to lower mine too. Been debating between H&R springs or the EZ coils.
^I almost bought H&R springs, but just really wanted to have the adjustability of coils. Plus a lot of springs look uneven to me, and I am really picky so I couldn't deal with that.

Originally Posted by 509IS350
Definitely much better Zach. As always, your car is clean. Im in the middle of my correction and will be applying 22PLE tomorrow.
Originally Posted by MashinA
very nice, if im not mistaken i asked you for advice on detailing before! I can see why lol
^Most likely! I can talk about detailing all day

Originally Posted by iRyan
looks good bro....slap some wheels on
^Thanks... wheels will be coming in the future

Originally Posted by quick123
Looks great Zach, absolutely loving the drop...hope my paint looks as good as yours after Wednesday
^Thanks man! Look forward to seeing your ride all cleaned up!

Originally Posted by TUNG
O snap! Zach always having a clean nice car, I'm slapping the same coilovers on as you soon. Your detailing advice is always helpful
^Nice! You're gonna love the coils! Glad I can help with the detailing advice!
Old 04-15-13, 08:06 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

looks good, get the F Sport Sway bars and it will be even better. Inexpensive, easy to install yourself, big improvement
Old 04-15-13, 12:47 PM
simba
Driver School Candidate

Looks so pretty! Why don't you let the dealer wash her?
Old 04-15-13, 01:06 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh crap, do they do a crappy job at car washing? i usually let them wash mine.. what do they use that can potentially damage the car?
Old 04-15-13, 01:06 PM
Kentchup
Pole Position

looking really good, cant wait to see how everything thing else turn out
Old 04-15-13, 01:07 PM
abitta1
Rookie

very nice!!
Old 04-15-13, 01:13 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
looks good, get the F Sport Sway bars and it will be even better. Inexpensive, easy to install yourself, big improvement
^No plans to do the sway bars.

Originally Posted by simba
Looks so pretty! Why don't you let the dealer wash her?
^Dealerships (and most other car washes!) are notorious for using improper washing and drying methods that are harmful to your paint. If you let the dealer wash your car (or you take your car to a car wash) chances are you do not know how to properly wash your car.

Here is the proper way to wash your car... this is known as the 2 bucket method with grit guards.

Originally Posted by dorkacho
oh crap, do they do a crappy job at car washing? i usually let them wash mine.. what do they use that can potentially damage the car?
^Hand washing your car (using the method listed in the article above) is the only way your car should be washed. Dealerships use dingy/dirty sponges (I have even seed them using "wash brooms"!) and old towels to wash and dry your car. This will DEFINITELY leave swirls and scratches in your paint. Proper detailing tools are an investment, but a necessary part of owning and maintaining your expensive cars. I'm a huge detailing nut, so I will spare you the lecture...

Originally Posted by Kentchup
looking really good, cant wait to see how everything thing else turn out
^Thanks!
Old 04-15-13, 01:22 PM
dorkacho
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for sharing.. my friend pointed out swirls on my car just few days ago, and i was surprised because i always use micro fiber everything. now i know where they might have come from ..

can the swirls be detailed off ? or it requires new paint job?
Old 04-15-13, 01:39 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Originally Posted by dorkacho
thanks for sharing.. my friend pointed out swirls on my car just few days ago, and i was surprised because i always use micro fiber everything. now i know where they might have come from ..

can the swirls be detailed off ? or it requires new paint job?
^Improper washing and drying is what produces 90% of swirls and scratches found on most cars. High quality microfiber is key... if you use the towels you pick up from Autozone, you can do better. Premium microfiber is pricey, but so very worth it... just like all professional products - you get what you pay for.

As for the swirls, they can be removed with machine polishing. Any reputable detailer will be able to take care of them, or you can DIY. Dual Action (or DA) machines are very safe and easy to use - even for a complete beginner. It just takes some practice, patience, and a bit of money to get started... I recommend everyone learn how to machine polish their vehicles.

This 50/50 shot is an extreme example of an SUV that I did recently... you can see the left side was extremely swirled and scratched, it also had a good amount of water spots that were etched into the clear coat. (Note, this is how the paint looked after washing, drying, and claying... so the paint is CLEAN... what you see is not dirt, but damaged paint). The right side is what you get after compounding with a DA polisher and the appropriate pad. It was later polished with a finishing polish to restore the depth and gloss to the paint.

Here is what the car looked like after a full correction. This is after applying 22ple VX1 Pro semi-permanent protective coating.

*Take a look at your own car in harsh, direct lighting such as with a halogen shop light and see what sort of swirls you can see.

They will also be visible in direct sunlight, this is easier to see defects on lighter colored cars. Here are some swirls on a 911 turbo.

and after a correction....

Let me know if you've got any detailing related questions... I'm always willing to help out! Also check out the Detailing Section in the forum... plenty of good info there!
Old 04-22-13, 04:32 PM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Raised them up 0.5" all around... I like this look much better, and it is more functional.

Old 04-22-13, 04:40 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nicely done, man. I really like it. I think a lot of people go too far with drops, but yours looks great. And the paint looks ridiculously wet and shiny.
Old 04-22-13, 05:14 PM
karasha
Lead Lap

Zach, it looks good!!
Old 04-22-13, 06:15 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Zach. Paint surface on your car is amazing!

Did you remove the texture on the surface of clearcoat? I can't see it on your car. Factory paint always has that kind of texture--kind of very small ripple or wave.

Quick Reply: Finally lowered! Favorite mod so far.