IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Cam Gears/Bearings: Excellent Service

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 02:37 PM
SNORTH350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Gears/Bearings: Excellent Service

Its been awhile since I've posted. I know there was a previous thread about this issue. A horrible sound at the intial crank up. I believe that there was a few other IS drivers on the forum that was having this problem. I first had my issue at 96K miles (September last year) I purchased my 2008 IS350 in 2010 as a CPO with an extended 100K mile warranty. The first time I experienced this problem the dealer simply fixed it under warranty. They kept the car for three days and gave me a nice new RX 350 to drive. The service was great and couldnt have asked for anything better. Well about three weeks ago I started having the same problem (I now have 118k on the car) I took it back to the dealer and much to my surprise they said they would fix the issue again on house. I left the car for a day and a half, this time in a new ES350 haha, and they called and said they couldnt get the car to make the noise again, and couldnt do the repair. I knew exactly when the car would make the noise, always after my 123 one way trip to work once cranked again. So I videoed it on my iPhone and set it to the service writer. Dropped it off next morning, they kept it for three days again, I was in another RX350 this time. They called when it was ready and once again they surprised me. My oil was changed, car was detailed, they filled it with gas, and ofcourse (replaced the cam gears and bearings). WOW!!!! I caint begin to say that this service has surpassed all my expectations. Coming from someone who has owned 2 BMW's, my Lexus dealer has something that no one else seems to get. Customer Service!! That will keep people coming back!! I have been out of Maint plan for almost 18k miles and they're still helping me out ! Just wanted to share my dealership experience! Hope others are getting the same service that im recieving!!! A++ Lexus!
Old 04-11-13, 03:50 PM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

^^^ good to hear! I just got my car back from the same issue. Mine did it when my car was parked at a decline. Initially, I was told that my 6 year / 70k mile powers rain warranty didn't transfer over from owner to owner. I told them I had already talked to a Lexus rep and she told me I had 3 months left and to take it in immediately. Even with my video, the dealership still had to replicate the noise. I was amazed that they finally replicated the noise after 4 hours.
Old 04-11-13, 05:38 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Lexus has always gave me good customer service, but the fact that this is your SECOND trip to Lexus about this same "cam rattle" issue saddens me.
Old 04-17-13, 08:09 AM
SNORTH350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
Lexus has always gave me good customer service, but the fact that this is your SECOND trip to Lexus about this same "cam rattle" issue saddens me.
Your right on this one! Unfortunately this is the second time that this issue has come up. However, I do a lot of driving, so the average person might not have the problem. I usually trip between 25-30K a year. I wonder if I am the only person who has had this come up twice?
Old 04-17-13, 12:00 PM
Gville350

^No you're not; I've read about others having had the service performed twice due to the exact same issues arising after the first "fix". Utlimately it boils down to lack of lube (oil) to the cam gears.
Old 04-21-13, 10:46 PM
reza679
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SNORTH350
Its been awhile since I've posted. I know there was a previous thread about this issue. A horrible sound at the intial crank up. I believe that there was a few other IS drivers on the forum that was having this problem. I first had my issue at 96K miles (September last year) I purchased my 2008 IS350 in 2010 as a CPO with an extended 100K mile warranty. The first time I experienced this problem the dealer simply fixed it under warranty. They kept the car for three days and gave me a nice new RX 350 to drive. The service was great and couldnt have asked for anything better. Well about three weeks ago I started having the same problem (I now have 118k on the car) I took it back to the dealer and much to my surprise they said they would fix the issue again on house. I left the car for a day and a half, this time in a new ES350 haha, and they called and said they couldnt get the car to make the noise again, and couldnt do the repair. I knew exactly when the car would make the noise, always after my 123 one way trip to work once cranked again. So I videoed it on my iPhone and set it to the service writer. Dropped it off next morning, they kept it for three days again, I was in another RX350 this time. They called when it was ready and once again they surprised me. My oil was changed, car was detailed, they filled it with gas, and ofcourse (replaced the cam gears and bearings). WOW!!!! I caint begin to say that this service has surpassed all my expectations. Coming from someone who has owned 2 BMW's, my Lexus dealer has something that no one else seems to get. Customer Service!! That will keep people coming back!! I have been out of Maint plan for almost 18k miles and they're still helping me out ! Just wanted to share my dealership experience! Hope others are getting the same service that im recieving!!! A++ Lexus!
hey buddy, you had that problem on your 2008 model? but as i heard, they fixed that problem after 2007! i have the occasional clicking noise on my 2008 is250 but couldn't prove that to them! i tried to film it but no success yet! it's very intermittent and don't know how to replicate that! just happened 4-5 times in the last 3 months(i bought the car 3 months ago!) the vehicle will run out of statuary warranty within 8 days and this making me mad! how can i replicate the noise and prove it to Lexus??? any suggestion? they told me no fix if you dont prove it! ((((
Old 04-22-13, 12:01 AM
guesswh0
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad you've got it fixed!

I currently have the same issue but unfortunately I am out of warranty!
Old 04-22-13, 01:30 PM
Gville350

To help MAKE the cam rattle sound, park on a hill...nose pointed up the hill. Have camera ready and hit the start button. Best chance is in the dead-middle of summer after hitting out in the heat all day.
Old 04-22-13, 01:56 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

To help MAKE the cam rattle sound, park on a hill...nose pointed up the hill. Have camera ready and hit the start button. Best chance is in the dead-middle of summer after hitting out in the heat all day.
And towards the end of your oil cycle. I haven't had mine fixed yet but it always goes away for me after I change the oil. So it sort of acts like a friendly reminder for me.
Old 04-22-13, 04:43 PM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

^^^ you hit it right on the spot. Mine only did it when I was parked on a hill or a declined parking spot. They said it had to deal with the oil pressure?
Old 04-22-13, 04:44 PM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

To anyone with this issue and still under warranty, I would recommend getting it fixed ASAP before your warranty runs out. From what I was told, it was a costly fix.
Old 04-22-13, 06:47 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by ScoobyLai
They said it had to deal with the oil pressure?
I guess you can call it that...but it boils down to not having sufficient oil in the needed area/parts during start-up.