IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

weird brake noise/video included

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-13, 10:58 AM
Stun350
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird brake noise/video included

Hi Guys! Wanted to get some feedback on this. My left front brake makes this noise which starts right at 6 seconds in the video as I'm coming to a stop. My car is a 2008 IS350 which had the lower dust brake pads installed around 25K miles and the rotors resurfaced shortly after. I currently have 55K miles on it.

Old 04-10-13, 10:59 AM
Stun350
Rookie

YOu might need to turn the volume up to hear but the noise goes from the 6-9 second mark.
Old 04-10-13, 11:02 AM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't know what that is but when listening carefully I noticed that's the same noise my car makes when coming to a stop. But I have Drilled and slotted brake rotors. I would also like to know what it can be and how it can be fixed.
Old 04-10-13, 11:08 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Sound like the grinding noise? My guess is the the pad's is moving while the brake is apply? I could be wrong
Old 04-10-13, 01:47 PM
hypnotized
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're describing that spinning metal noise. Your rotors were resurfaced and not replaced. I have never done any brake job without replacing both at the same time. Was this a cost saving move? OEM ISX50 rotors I know are pricey. I do not know the life span of them either.
How do you know the rotors were properly resurfaced, measured, and have adequate life remaining?
Do you feel a vibration in the brake pedal? You might also feel it in the steering wheel because it is the front rotors.
Did you install both sets of anti-squeal shims?
Do you have any other suspension or wheel modifications?

More details would help.
Old 04-10-13, 02:26 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hypnotized
I think you're describing that spinning metal noise. Your rotors were resurfaced and not replaced. I have never done any brake job without replacing both at the same time. Was this a cost saving move? OEM ISX50 rotors I know are pricey. I do not know the life span of them either.
How do you know the rotors were properly resurfaced, measured, and have adequate life remaining?
Do you feel a vibration in the brake pedal? You might also feel it in the steering wheel because it is the front rotors.

More details would help.
Well I'm not the one that started this thread but like i said in a previous reply that I'm having the same issue. I went to a local shop and bought drilled and slotted brake rotors and brake pads that came with it for my car. I had them replaced by a friend of mine who happens to be a mechanic and I've had that noise ever since. I don't have any suspension mods I'm sitting on stock shocks and stock springs. It gets really irritating.
Old 04-10-13, 04:22 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought drilled/ slotted rotors were not surfacable? what that grinding sounds like to me is possibly something hitting the rotor? maybe a loose pad wear indicator?
Old 04-10-13, 08:13 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

thats definitely your rotor/pad warped. new rotor pads should do the trick, but im sure someone else could come up with a cheaper solution.

I recently changed all 4 rotors pads. 470 for all parts for all 4 corners.
Old 04-10-13, 09:36 PM
lysis250
Lexus Test Driver

I never go my drilled and slotted resurfaced I just had that sound ever since I go them installed which was around 3 maybe 4 months ago. I'm thinking about getting new pads and see if it continues making that sound.
Old 04-10-13, 10:01 PM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Did you guys swapping the pads yet? For some reason, i did this trick twice on other vehicle which have same problem and guess what........ it solves the problem.

All i did is swapped the pads left to right. Outer left to outer right, inner left to inner right. Good luck!
Old 04-11-13, 12:16 AM
Aleklik
Driver School Candidate

I think the brake noise is coming from the inner core of the brake line pump because the noise comes on only when you apply the brakes. I think you need to replace your wheel studs and lug nuts to fix the issue!
Old 04-11-13, 12:05 PM
Stun350
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypnotized

More details would help.
The work was done at Northpark Lexus in San Antonio. They did the TSB for the brake pads and after complaining about squealing they resurfaced the rotors. I'll be taking my car in for their 55K service and will let them know to inspect the brakes. Yes, I do feel the vibration on the brake pedal. Suprisingly today they've been fairly quite. No anti squeal shims to my knowledge were installed. THe brakes do squeal but only when I'm going in reverse and at slow speeds. No suspension or wheel mods. Thanks for all your input.
Old 04-11-13, 03:47 PM
Murphy5156
Driver School Candidate

I have that EXACT SAME SOUND after having my front brakes replaced. The shop used aftermarket rotors and pads, so not sure if that's the problem. I tend to doubt it because thousands of people replace their brakes every day with non-OEM parts and are quiet as a mouse. Mine seem to be getting quieter by the day, usually only sounding bad when they are cold. I took it back to the shop three times and they replaced everything at least once, and the sound was still there.

I've pretty much resigned myself to live with it, as it does seem to be getting better. Next time I'll try paying the dealership price and see if there's any difference. Dealer wanted $500 for the front while a Lexus specialty shop did if for just under $300. Since I've done my brakes on my own on past cars, I didn't see the need to spend an extra $200. Who knows.
Old 04-15-13, 06:32 AM
hypnotized
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Overall it sounds like we may have 2 potential issues:

1) Resurfaced rotors that may be warped.
2) A lack of installation of the anti squeal shims.

For the shims just look through your rim and you should be able to see a metallic shim covering the outside of the brake pad. It will be obvious if they were used. Also your itemized service bill should reflect this. An OEM Lexus IS shim kit costs approximately $40 for the set for the front brakes. I think those Autozone ceramic brake pads have like a built-in shim to the physical pad.

I own the Lexus factory service manual for the ISX50. It states the shims "must be replaced" for every brake service. The OEM shims have a texture/material on them that gets worn out over time. I assume that is why it is recommended to replace them. I have also read about people having this issue because the car previously did not have shims when it came in for its first service, so the mechanic did not know to include them. I know there are short cuts such as after market parts and recycling of old shims. However, my information direct from the company that produces this product.

Send me your email address and I can send you the entire how to on your vehicles brakes.

Shim kit see link
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2008/1919.html
Old 04-23-13, 09:06 AM
Stun350
Rookie

So I just received a call from the dealership after having dropped off my car yesterday evening and the service advisor told me that they will do my front brakes for $683. He says my brake pads still have life on them but said there are some new "updated parts" which are rotors and pads. The quote sounded a bit high so I declined the new parts and told him to clean the brakes. What do you guys think? They weren't able to duplicate the sound on that video I posted. Weird.