IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Issue with dealer. Engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 10:07 AM
rpk2012
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issue with dealer. Engine issues

Ok, so here is the deal. I believe I have an issue with the carbon buildup issue. I took it in after several intermittent issues at cold start. It would stutter when accelerating and at idle it would idle super low, with intermittent "misfire" . I had a code of cyl 1 misfire on the weekend when they were closed, and the parts store cleared the code! They indicated that they could replicate, but not figure out the issue, and released the car with "Could not replicate issue" on the release paperwork. This upset me, but I figured I would see how it went. They also indicated I needed my plugs done, so I found a time I could bring it back and have them changed.

Durring the time away, my car still had the same issue, and at one point the check engine light was on, and I requested that they let me know what it was and check it for my previous issue. I picked up my car with no CEL and no explanation. When I asked, they indicated that it was probably just something "insignificant" and was just cleared and not recorded. I told them that wasn't what I asked them to do, but they said they were not able to find out the issue. So I am mad at this point because they still indicated they couldn't replicate my issue.

So now it does it durring cold and warm conditions intermittently, AND at one point did the whole stalling idle after getting off the interstate. So I setup a time to take the car in, and in-between this time, the car died twice at durring cold driving. The thing that frustrated me was that..... NO CEL. So, they had it again for a week, said they opened a file with Lexus, and sent data files to Lexus. Lexus responded that there were misfires, but not enough to indicate what would be wrong. They released the car YET AGAIN, with no issue found. I am pissed, and I asked "Why would there be misfires indicated with NEW plugs, and no problems found?" He (service advisor) responded, "There should not be any misfires, and I don't know why they cannot find the cause of the issue."

By now I am frustrated, waiting for a CEL to save my life...... Now, a new intermittent issue.... During startup (cold or warm), it intermittently has a knocking sound for the first 2 seconds of startup like there are dry bearings. I am going to try and catch audio of it, but I am sooooo frustrated because people have had their issues repaired with less trouble, and I am nearing my aftermarket warranty and all services have been done at a dealer. I love my car, but don't want to be stuck on my own dime for repairs when I have taken her in for these issues.

Any ideas, or help?!

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-02-13, 12:42 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The knocking sound during startup can be the Cam Gear rattle TSB; other members can chime in about that (I heard it doesn't affect the engine, but the jarring sound...), it sucks that they cleared the code. I took my IS 250 AWD to Lexus for the carbon buildup (engine misfire) and wanted $500 for a top engine clean and $400 for spark plugs (they found that they were original to the car). Took it to a trusted mechanic for the plugs and that's about it for me.
Old 04-02-13, 12:53 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rpk2012
Ok, so here is the deal. I believe I have an issue with the carbon buildup issue. I took it in after several intermittent issues at cold start. It would stutter when accelerating and at idle it would idle super low, with intermittent "misfire" . I had a code of cyl 1 misfire on the weekend when they were closed, and the parts store cleared the code! They indicated that they could replicate, but not figure out the issue, and released the car with "Could not replicate issue" on the release paperwork. This upset me, but I figured I would see how it went. They also indicated I needed my plugs done, so I found a time I could bring it back and have them changed.

Durring the time away, my car still had the same issue, and at one point the check engine light was on, and I requested that they let me know what it was and check it for my previous issue. I picked up my car with no CEL and no explanation. When I asked, they indicated that it was probably just something "insignificant" and was just cleared and not recorded. I told them that wasn't what I asked them to do, but they said they were not able to find out the issue. So I am mad at this point because they still indicated they couldn't replicate my issue.

So now it does it durring cold and warm conditions intermittently, AND at one point did the whole stalling idle after getting off the interstate. So I setup a time to take the car in, and in-between this time, the car died twice at durring cold driving. The thing that frustrated me was that..... NO CEL. So, they had it again for a week, said they opened a file with Lexus, and sent data files to Lexus. Lexus responded that there were misfires, but not enough to indicate what would be wrong. They released the car YET AGAIN, with no issue found. I am pissed, and I asked "Why would there be misfires indicated with NEW plugs, and no problems found?" He (service advisor) responded, "There should not be any misfires, and I don't know why they cannot find the cause of the issue."

By now I am frustrated, waiting for a CEL to save my life...... Now, a new intermittent issue.... During startup (cold or warm), it intermittently has a knocking sound for the first 2 seconds of startup like there are dry bearings. I am going to try and catch audio of it, but I am sooooo frustrated because people have had their issues repaired with less trouble, and I am nearing my aftermarket warranty and all services have been done at a dealer. I love my car, but don't want to be stuck on my own dime for repairs when I have taken her in for these issues.

Any ideas, or help?!

Thanks,
Ryan
If you have cam gear rattle with an '06, I think you are out of luck. I think the TSIB is only for the warranty period.
Old 04-02-13, 02:29 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
If you have cam gear rattle with an '06, I think you are out of luck. I think the TSIB is only for the warranty period.
Not necessarily true! Took my '06 into the local dealer back last year ('12) after hearing the cam rattle for the FIRST TIME. They couldn't replicate it, so they said oh well. But I didn't take no for an answer; I asked about the regional Lexus rep and he said he was still on-site. Spoke with him, and he approved a customer sat repair for the cam rattle at no charge to me. After further research online here before I had the "repair" performed I found others after the "repair" was made was still hearing the SAME noise! So I said, until my car starts doing more often...I'd hold off. My car has done it less than 10 times during my 2 yrs of ownership.
Old 04-02-13, 10:50 PM
jleeIS
Driver School Candidate

The cam gear issue can be irritating but I have heard it supposedly does not do any damage. The carbon buildup issue is a different story, mine would actually stall or go into limp mode. Maybe contact corporate and see what they can do? If not maybe focus on the temporary fix top end cleaning. for carbon.
Old 04-03-13, 02:36 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Not necessarily true! Took my '06 into the local dealer back last year ('12) after hearing the cam rattle for the FIRST TIME. They couldn't replicate it, so they said oh well. But I didn't take no for an answer; I asked about the regional Lexus rep and he said he was still on-site. Spoke with him, and he approved a customer sat repair for the cam rattle at no charge to me. After further research online here before I had the "repair" performed I found others after the "repair" was made was still hearing the SAME noise! So I said, until my car starts doing more often...I'd hold off. My car has done it less than 10 times during my 2 yrs of ownership.
I don't have a copy of the TSIB, so I'm not totally sure.

But the dealer replicating the cam gear rattle is different--I complained about it for 4.5 years, but the dealer never replicated it--and I only heard it once every few months. Then I went thru a spell where I heard it 2-3 times a week; and I got a recording of it on my phone and brought that in. But the dealer finally replicated it--8 weeks before the warranty was up.
Old 04-03-13, 03:14 PM
SlickRSM
Pole Position

Take it back it, I had my car in for the same issue over the years but it would never throw a code and wouldn't happen when they drove it. I went it for an oil change last week and they approached me and said they will be replacing a tons of engine parts on the car due to the carbon build up issue. They said it didn't need to throw the code they download the data to some Lexus hub and the can read it and tell whats wrong without a code now. My car goes in on 4/8 for 3-4 days to get fixed.