IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Oil Catch Can Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-13, 07:17 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Oil Catch Can Experiment

So I have a 2009 Lexus IS250 AWD thats showing signs of the carbon buildup issue. My car started to shake more than usual at red lights arond 43,XXX miles. Took it to the dealership and they said they couldn't 'replicate' the issue so I couldn't get the top clean done. Looked on the forums and even the piston replacement TSB isn't a fix, just a band-aid. I figured I'd look into a solution and someone mentioned an oil catch can and it looks like a good solution! I did some research and the OCC will filter the oil and oil vapors that make their way through the PCV valve. The same vapors and gunk that attach themselves to the intake valves and cause the low idles and sluggishness that people have been seeing with their 06-10 250 (DI) engines.

So I started looking around for a quality OCC (oil catch can) and I came across Saikou Michi Co. I sent them an email, but they said they were at capacity so they referred me to Shaun at tokensolutions. When I looked up the OCC at tokensolutions I realized that its actually a collaboration between TS and SMC, so I was siked to pick one up! I have to say Shaun is awesome, he responds to emails in a timely fashion and really knows his stuff. You can pick that up from that fact that he's working with SMC to bring us a quality OCC, along with the knowledge that he shares on the carbon buildup issue. I installed it this past weekend and took a few pics of the install to better help people that are looking to do this mod.

The first pic shows all the covers that need to be removed off (dirty engine bay). The OCC from TS has a bracket that connects to the bolt that holds down the coolant container. It's actually a pretty good design because the TS is suspended in an open area so there's no issues. I want to note that I had to remove the fuel line above the 7th spark plug in order to get better access to the PCV valve location. I tried getting my hands in there but I go no where after half an hour. Taking the fuel line out helped a ton, just be careful because some gas will come out and there's a washer in there that I almost lost. Also, keep the metal piece higher than the hose to keep more gas from coming out (basic physics).

Here is a close up of the PCV valve location:

Here is the extended bolt that replaces the oem bolt, along with the bracket that connects to the OCC:

Here is the OCC installed w/o the hoses attached. I noticed that this area gets a good amount of air flow, which would make sense since you want oil vapor to condense.

Here is everything all hooked up (note i moved the metal hose tightener closer to the OCC afterwards):

Here is everything that is going on around the PCV valve area. The original PCV hose is connected to an extension which goes to the output port of the OCC. Another hose is hooked up from the PCV valve to the intake of the OCC (picture was a little tough since the sun decided to come out). I want to note that I touched my finger to the opening of the PCV valve when I took it off and there was definitely oil that collected on my glove.

Pic of miles post install:

Overall the install was pretty easy (should take ~45 mins) and I want thank Shaun @ TS for creating an awesome kit. The kit literally comes with everything that you need and it even comes with a drain extension kit that I didn't install. Is this the carbon build up solution we've been looking for? After doing my research I want to say 'Yes', but the proof is in the pudding. I will be updating this thread with pics of what the OCC collects over the next 3 thousand miles. I will also be getting the BG GDI service done at some point soon as I find a shop that will do it.
-------------------------------
UPDATE

Hey guys, sorry I couldn't update sooner. I got really busy at the end of last summer and then winter hit. So when I installed the catch can I had 44,635 miles and now I have 58,783. So it's been 14148 since I installed the catch can. I drained it today and there was 1.8 ounces (51g) of what looks like sludge that drained out. I'll update the thread with pictures when I get a chance since I documented everything. So far it looks like the catch can has been doing its job! The only thing that I noticed was that the bracket seems to be rusting a little bit. Aside from that it looks like its functioning as expected.

Empty Bottle:

Bottle with drainage:

Sludge:

Last edited by OPTiK; 04-01-14 at 04:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cfauvel (07-16-21)
Old 03-13-13, 08:07 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe its just me or a temporary thing but only the last picture is showing up for me.

Nice writeup though.
Old 03-13-13, 08:27 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^

same, only last pic of odometer showing
Old 03-13-13, 10:17 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, only the last picture is showing up. Also, thanks for this. I have been considering getting this after the work has been done with on my car and I'm very curious to see the results, do keep us updated!
Old 03-13-13, 10:47 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

it's amazing what google can find (key words "tokensolutions", "lexus", and "catch can").

http://www.tokensolutions.net/lexus-...-on-catch-can/
Old 03-13-13, 11:27 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

i cant really imagine a catch can being the solution to the carbon build up issue the 250 has. an NA car doesnt produce as much blow by gas as a boosted car so i cant really see it doing a alot. but an interesting write up none the less. keep us updated

like everyone else said, i can only see the odometer pic lol

Last edited by jdmSW20; 03-13-13 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-13-13, 11:43 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

All the pics doesn't work for me as well.

I'm interested in this idea if it really works. Looking forward for more info!
Old 03-14-13, 05:09 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Sorry guys, I'll have the pics up in an hour or so.

EDIT: Pics have been fixed.

Last edited by OPTiK; 03-14-13 at 06:05 AM.
Old 03-14-13, 06:50 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks pretty good. Would you say it was difficult to do?
Old 03-14-13, 07:02 AM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sffd103
Looks pretty good. Would you say it was difficult to do?
I would say this is no harder than doing an oil change. You're literally just connecting hoses and changing 1 bolt. You just need to pay attention to which hose goes where. The only curve ball that I saw was moving the fuel line to create more space since it's pretty tight getting to the PCV valve if it's not disconnected (at least for me on my 09).
Old 03-14-13, 02:36 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice, update us with what happens as you put more miles on it
Old 03-14-13, 04:42 PM
massaker
Pole Position

How do you clean the catch can do you have to completely unbolt it? (Sffd103) looks like he has the Mishimoto carbon Fiber oil catch can? Maybe he can chime in and verify how his is cleaned? Which is better?
Old 03-14-13, 05:45 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by massaker
How do you clean the catch can do you have to completely unbolt it? (Sffd103) looks like he has the Mishimoto carbon Fiber oil catch can? Maybe he can chime in and verify how his is cleaned? Which is better?
I believe you just open a drain on the bottom of the can and connect a tube and it drains.
Old 03-14-13, 07:14 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by massaker
Originally Posted by NQR89
I believe you just open a drain on the bottom of the can and connect a tube and it drains.
Yeah, you just open the drain at the bottom and everything flows out. You never want to clean it completely because the oil that hangs around will attract more oil, which is what you want. A drain extension kit is included so if you want to run a hose somewhere to make it easier to drain there's always that option.

In terms of which is better I have to say TS:

Mishimoto Design (taken from their video):

TS + SMC:

As you can see the TS baffle is better since it's all the way at the top and will actually catch the oil vapor since the oil + vapors enter below the baffle, while the Mishimoto will let oil vapor escape. The baffle in the Mishimoto is just a piece of metal with holes in it, while the TS baffle is actually a mesh.

Last edited by OPTiK; 03-14-13 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-19-13, 10:04 AM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I only have about 2 1/1 gas tanks worth of mileage on my 06's can setup, but I have the same TS can on a 3.4 5vzfe and this is what it caught in about 4K of miles-
Name:  2013-01-11121838_zps7398b2a7.jpg
Views: 13070
Size:  77.8 KB

That crud is what turns into this:

So obviously the can will make a big difference. Its kind of like those old school drugs commercials- "this is your brain (egg), this is your brain on drugs (pours egg in skillet), any questions?". In this case, 'this is your engine intake runner, this is your engine intake runner without catch can, any questions?'

Last edited by Token1; 03-19-13 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: The Oil Catch Can Experiment