IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Oil Catch Can Experiment

Old 07-30-13, 07:35 PM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a black Mishi in for testing myself, surprised how big of a box they decide to use. Pricy option but fancy.
Old 09-02-13, 10:37 AM
toadolson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to bring this back around to the top and see if there's any updates???

Also wanted to ask and see if anyone has run the line to the oil catch can and put a breather filter on the return of the catch can rather than run it back to the PCV valve. That way the gases vent to the atmosphere and never return back to the intake. Then just remove and plug the PCV. Going to do this but like this setup of the single line to the catch can rather than a supply and return, if you know what I mean. Thanks for any info.
Old 09-09-13, 11:32 AM
Mrhavasu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to hear some more feed back too
Old 09-09-13, 11:27 PM
Token1
Rookie

My oil change is coming up, will be interesting to see how much oil is caught despite having the TSB done. Connecting it so that it vents to atmosphere is a sure fire way of not getting any of those gases to gunk up on the valves, but it also has nearly no flow through the crank case, so IMO the oil life will be shortened, possibly significantly, so I would increase the frequency of oil changes.
Old 11-18-13, 09:46 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate to bump an old thread but I purchased this kit and installed it on my sisters IS250 this past weekend. Actually before the install I actually pulled the intake manifold to change the spark plugs on her car. In the process I cleaned the intake manifold with carb cleaner as it was lots of oil residue. I also pulled the lower intake manifold and scrubed the top of the valves with seafoam spray. Since I also did an oil change on the car I will be draining the catch can in 5k miles to see just how much oil it actually catches and I'll post my findings then.
Old 11-25-13, 12:50 PM
Token1
Rookie

I have a video, but its embarrassing as I drop the bottle I was draining the oil into- even with it falling and spilling oil everywhere, there is a bunch of oil inside the bottle, and on the floor.

Its actually very disturbing to see how much oil, on an engine that HAS THE TSB (rings and pistons) done, would still be getting onto the valves.

Its so much, I just don't want to post the video as I'm a biased party, and it would seem doctored-- its is so much oil still going through the crank case system.

IMO the can is a must. I'll post the blooper video if people really want it, but I'd love to see other's videos and pics- you will get more than a few drops out of the can
Old 11-25-13, 12:58 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Token1
I have a video, but its embarrassing as I drop the bottle I was draining the oil into- even with it falling and spilling oil everywhere, there is a bunch of oil inside the bottle, and on the floor.

Its actually very disturbing to see how much oil, on an engine that HAS THE TSB (rings and pistons) done, would still be getting onto the valves.

Its so much, I just don't want to post the video as I'm a biased party, and it would seem doctored-- its is so much oil still going through the crank case system.

IMO the can is a must. I'll post the blooper video if people really want it, but I'd love to see other's videos and pics- you will get more than a few drops out of the can

I'm very curious to see the video. I'm worried that I'll have the same issues I did prior to the engine overhaul that was performed on my car like 4500 miles ago.
Old 11-25-13, 02:40 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Token1

Post it!

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
I'm very curious to see the video. I'm worried that I'll have the same issues I did prior to the engine overhaul that was performed on my car like 4500 miles ago.
I know its easy but I'd be willing to help out if you'd like. I've been following this thread since the begining and would like to help a fellow member out
Old 11-25-13, 04:23 PM
e46m3lol
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
I know its easy but I'd be willing to help out if you'd like. I've been following this thread since the beginning and would like to help a fellow member out
Yeah bro I'll shoot you a PM so we can get something setup. I want to get one on my car ASAP!
Old 11-25-13, 04:53 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

yes....post the video please...
Old 11-26-13, 05:12 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Post the video, I'm even thinking of getting this kit for my IS350 now as a just in case,
Old 11-26-13, 06:14 AM
06350F
Lead Lap

For those with other kits where are you mounting your cans?
Old 11-27-13, 10:46 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e46m3lol
Yeah bro I'll shoot you a PM so we can get something setup. I want to get one on my car ASAP!
Dope. I'm debating about putting one in mine, you know, because racecar. I'd probably be the first 350 (probably not) with it so I'll post if it is even worth it for one.

Originally Posted by B16da9
Post the video, I'm even thinking of getting this kit for my IS350 now as a just in case,
That is my thought. Plus, I don't think it will hurt to have.
Old 11-29-13, 06:03 PM
Token1
Rookie

Sorry for the delay guys, had to find a good editor to put two vids into one, get rid of all the bloatware and search engine hacks from it, load it to youtube which is stuck at "currently being processed" for half a day, so to photobucket it goes.

Besides the obvious- being a dork, the can had way more oil than I expected, so I started to get all butter-fingered and tongue tied.

Last edited by Token1; 11-29-13 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 02:11 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

uhhh.... that looks like a lot. I dont know what the recall/replacement did but that looks like nothing has changed. Thats a lot of oil....

BTW Right-y Tight-y, Left-y Loose-y

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Oil Catch Can Experiment