IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The Oil Catch Can Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-13, 04:03 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I talked to a head shop guy at Lexus of Chester Springs (Westchester, PA) and he really knows his stuff. He talked to me about my catch can after I explained how I was getting terrible service in upstate ny so I took matters into my own hands. He convinced me to take the catch can out after explaining to me that I want to get the service done. He literally took 30-45 mins explaining the process, showing me documents, and talking about the modifications he's made to the original tsb (the doc is now twice as long lol). He said that he suited up with each of his guy to make sure that everyone knew how to do the TSB perfectly and said he hasn't had anyone come back with additional issues after his shop did the fix. I think he had an excel sheet of at least 40-50 cars that he's done. The average repair was about 8k if I remember right. I have an oil change this week, at which point I'll drain my OCC and show everyone how much oil I've collected so far.
Old 06-30-13, 07:27 PM
skillvsluck
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fanel
Okay so looks like it stops or reduces the carbon build up, but how exactly? I have a rough idea. How often do you have to drain it or is that based on how much you travel?
The PCV valve takes blowby (gases that escape the cylinder, past the piston rings and into the crankcase) and recirculates them back into the intake manifold. In the 250, where you only have direct injection, a lot of the grime that comes along with the blowby is getting deposited as carbon build up.
Old 07-02-13, 06:28 AM
RoyLPita
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is something to look into in the future. Thanx for the DIY pics.
Old 07-12-13, 04:00 PM
Mrhavasu
Driver School Candidate

On my 2010 is250 Lexus claims that my car just missed the vinn group and I am not covered, yet they told me my car at 46k miles was one of the worst they had seen with the missfires. So they do the clean and nothing else, I call Lexus to complain as I do not want to spend $600 for this next time. They tell me that they covered under good will just this once and I get to pay next time. I tell them to F off and I will never buy Lexus again, screw them. I bought one to avoid these problems, not to get them. Anyway, I am thinking of just capping the intake side and run the pcv to the ground. Good job Lexus!!!
Old 07-12-13, 04:23 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey OPTiK, do you have any follow up for us?
Old 07-13-13, 05:55 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UniSlayEX
Hey OPTiK, do you have any follow up for us?
Hey, sorry been crazy busy with travel and such. I'll see if I can put up some pics in the next few days..
Old 07-15-13, 02:31 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OPTiK
Hey, sorry been crazy busy with travel and such. I'll see if I can put up some pics in the next few days..
Thanks!
Old 07-15-13, 04:11 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Thanks for the write up thats awesome!

But as FYI you can do a DIY oil catch can for roughly $50 from home depot. It works the same way and the nice thing about it, the container is clear so you can see how much you are really catching. Pull it up on google.
Old 07-16-13, 11:45 AM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Here is the link for those of you that are unaware of this less than $50 upgrade you can do! It works and very easy to install. I had this on both my b15 and my ap1.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/eng...-can-pics.html
Old 07-16-13, 11:52 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the link, I'll probably do it for my sisters IS250.
Old 07-22-13, 07:17 PM
Token1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He convinced me to take the catch can out after explaining to me that I want to get the service done.
I would not turn down the warranty service at all. But I would put the can back on once they are done as it can only help, and does not detract from the performance of the car in any way. If the new pistons and rings drastically reduce blow-by, thats great, and the can doesn't need to work as hard, but no engine has zero blow-by- there will still be blow-by, there will still be build up, just probably at a much slower pace. If you have the can already, might as well put it right back on and observe that it still catches fluid.

That Home Depot system looks to have very low capacity. You will be draining it very frequently, and if you forget to, looks like your going to guzzle some oil or worse create a blockage and crank case pressure either builds up or goes 'backwards' venting the oil fumes earlier in the intake tract. The OCC has a bypass setup.

I still have not drained my can, has about 4K miles on it right now. Will be interesting to see what was caught as the car has the TSB pistons and rings in it already.

Last edited by Token1; 07-22-13 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-23-13, 02:06 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Token1
I would not turn down the warranty service at all. But I would put the can back on once they are done as it can only help, and does not detract from the performance of the car in any way. If the new pistons and rings drastically reduce blow-by, thats great, and the can doesn't need to work as hard, but no engine has zero blow-by- there will still be blow-by, there will still be build up, just probably at a much slower pace. If you have the can already, might as well put it right back on and observe that it still catches fluid.

That Home Depot system looks to have very low capacity. You will be draining it very frequently, and if you forget to, looks like your going to guzzle some oil or worse create a blockage and crank case pressure either builds up or goes 'backwards' venting the oil fumes earlier in the intake tract. The OCC has a bypass setup.

I still have not drained my can, has about 4K miles on it right now. Will be interesting to see what was caught as the car has the TSB pistons and rings in it already.
Yeah, my plan was to keep the catch can and throw it back on once the service was done. Want to keep the engine as clean as possible!
Old 07-23-13, 06:09 PM
eskae3
Pole Position

Jumping on the bandwagon! But went a little bit overboard with a high-end OCC.
I plan on cleaning out my valves and then running some seafoam through it to get it as clean as I can. Will take pics of the valves before and after and then what they look like about 30,000 miles later to see how much help the OCC will be to reducing the build-up. Currently I'm at about 150,000 miles and when I changed my spark plugs at 90,000 the valves were pretty gunked up!

Old 07-23-13, 06:16 PM
Kumar350
Lexus Test Driver

How do you clean out your valves? Your occ looks nice where did you buy it from?
Old 07-23-13, 11:43 PM
eskae3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kumar350
How do you clean out your valves? Your occ looks nice where did you buy it from?
Not sure yet on what I'm gonna do to clean the valves....
Maybe I'll just run some seafoam.
It's a Mishimoto Catch Can: http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-b...catch-can.html

Purchased from Amazon.

I'm amazed at the quality. it has a sintered 40 micron bronze filter. Haven't seen a sintered filter like this since I worked in aerospace.

Quick Reply: The Oil Catch Can Experiment