IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer gouged tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 04:46 AM
Yinzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer gouged tire

I picked up my 2IS from the dealer yesterday and drove straight home to fine a gouge that goes to the sidewall of the the tire. I know it happened while it was there, I've only had the car a month and know for a fact they had to test drive a few times. The rim is also very damaged

I called immediately and got it on record and I will be headed back today at which point my consultant said he would get management involved.

What should I expect?

If they offer to replace tire shouldn't they have to replace all four? I have an AWD

What of the rim damage?

Old 03-12-13, 07:35 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Always do a walk around before you leave the dealer.
Old 03-12-13, 08:55 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Always check your car before you leave. You'll be lucky if you get one new tire, not all 4! Maybe they'll pro rate it and give you a percentage of what the tire is worth based on the wear it had.
Old 03-12-13, 10:01 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

ALWAYS go over your car completely before signing ANYTHING. It's now a case of "you said, they said", no real proof.
Old 03-12-13, 10:45 AM
Fsport350
Driver

WTF!! I went to the dealer this past weekend and the SAME EXACT THING happened! - Gouge the tire and wheel damage. I'll post pics later.

I don't trust the dealer at all, I inspected the car and caught it before I took it home.

I told my service writer and he brought it to the supervisor's attention. He came out and inspected the wheel. I asked him what happened and he says he doesn't know. He spoke to the techs and valet personnel and they said they didn't do it. (of course) He says there would be no issue of replacing the wheel and tire because the valet person did not inspect the car and document it. He tells me they can have the wheel repaired but I said no, I want it replaced he THEN tells me that he'll check with his supervisor to see if they could replace an aftermarket wheel. I replied, "you just said you can replace it", he responds, "no, I'm not sure what the process is with ordering an aftermarket wheel."

Supervisor and the shop forum took pics of the damage and he said he would call me yesterday (3/11) but received no call. I'll definitely call them today. The supervisor tells me that he's been a tech for xx amount of years and he doesn't know how that would happen.

Well, to me it looks like it happened while the car was reversing, I don't know exactly what they hit in reverse to gouge the tire like that AND damage the wheel.

...I only came in to have my credit card key programmed.
Old 03-12-13, 11:19 AM
circuitt
Pole Position

I had a similar issue, except they gouged my side mirror and tried to cover it up. I got it fixed,
along with a free TSB dash rattle fix which was nice, but......

a week or so later i noticed they put a 2 inch long scuff on passenger leather front seat. probably
from removing the dash in that tight space.. but now it's too late to complain... maybe I'll contact corporate, but might be pointless with little proof..
Old 03-12-13, 01:58 PM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Hopefully you guys have a solid relationship with a service advisor.
Old 03-12-13, 02:21 PM
Yinzer
Driver School Candidate

They are replacing just the one tire.

A month ago I had an independent mechanical inspect it and he stayed my tires were 80 - 90% so I'm OK with it.

Concerns?