IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

2006 IS 350 = 3000$ oil leak :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-14, 04:09 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Don't say that! I've got a '06. Luckily I've not had a single issue with my vehicle, except for the NAV unit. Though I did had the cam rattle too; but of course the dealership fixed that for free.
Old 01-30-14, 04:29 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Is this a common problem for the 06? Seems like most people that have this issue is owners with 06 is350.
Yes, very common on the GR-FSE Series Engines. There was a TBS (EG001-07) for model year 2006 GS300, IS250, IS350 cars. However there were also reports of Leaks across other model years. From what I read, a very bad seal design and the worse part is the engine has to be pulled out for to fixed.
My advice, remove the cover and check throughly for oil leak (on the top passenger side). Have the dealer fix it ASAP if your car is under warranty or Extended warranty.
No one has recommendation for a decent indie shops in the bay area?
Old 01-30-14, 06:06 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Yes, very common on the GR-FSE Series Engines. There was a TBS (EG001-07) for model year 2006 GS300, IS250, IS350 cars. However there were also reports of Leaks across other model years. From what I read, a very bad seal design and the worse part is the engine has to be pulled out for to fixed.
My advice, remove the cover and check throughly for oil leak (on the top passenger side). Have the dealer fix it ASAP if your car is under warranty or Extended warranty.
No one has recommendation for a decent indie shops in the bay area?
No TSIB for 08? I still have my extended warranty but ending in 2 months.
Old 01-30-14, 06:23 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

No TSIB for 08? I still have my extended warranty but ending in 2 months.
Correct, it was only for model year 2006. However, they will have to fix it if your car is under factory or Extended warranty (powertrain portion of your coverage).
My car was also got serviced at the dealer but they didn't notice because you have to remove the plastic tray under the engine and look closely.
Old 01-30-14, 06:28 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Correct, it was only for model year 2006. However, they will have to fix it if your car is under factory or Extended warranty (powertrain portion of your coverage).
My car was also got serviced at the dealer but they didn't notice because you have to remove the plastic tray under the engine and look closely.
I might get a independent shop to check my car thoroughly before my warranty is over.

Still need to get my airbag TSIB light fixed under warranty.
Old 01-30-14, 07:07 PM
Wunko
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this problem on my 2011 IS350 a few months ago. An independent shop I went to pointed it out to me. Since my car was still under warranty, the dealership fixed it and I didn't have to pay anything. It took them a couple of days and I had to borrow a loaner vehicle.
Old 01-30-14, 10:34 PM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Does the engine really have to be pulled to perform this fix?? Seems a bit excessive. I have an '08 IS250 that had this leak... they didn't mention anything about pulling the motor... just that they had to remove a lot of stuff around the motor. They also changed the water pump under warranty.
Old 01-31-14, 09:33 AM
RangerJoe
Driver

I've had this fixed twice on my 06 in a little under 2 years. First time was under warranty, second time I got a discounted price. They covered part of the labor cost since they had done the job once before, and threw some more of the labor in with the cam gear recall. I paid what was left of labor and parts. If I wasn't getting other work done at the same time, I would have ignored it for a while since it wasn't a bad leak.

As for pulling the motor, I'm told that's a pretty standard procedure for the IS, GS, ES lines. A tech there told me that once you've done it a few (hundred?) times it's pretty fast. There just isn't much room to work in the engine bay. He said the V8's in models don't come out very often, but the V6's are easy.

Sucks about the leak though. As other people said, the parts are cheap but there is a fair amount of labor/time involved.
Old 01-31-14, 12:47 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

I might get a independent shop to check my car thoroughly before my warranty is over.

Still need to get my airbag TSIB light fixed under warranty.
Yes, i strongly recommend that you have your car inspected and get the dealer to fix them before warranty expired. Also, i believe they could denied TSIB if your car is outside of warranty period. TSIB is not the same as Recall.
Old 01-31-14, 12:49 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RangerJoe
I've had this fixed twice on my 06 in a little under 2 years. First time was under warranty, second time I got a discounted price. They covered part of the labor cost since they had done the job once before, and threw some more of the labor in with the cam gear recall. I paid what was left of labor and parts. If I wasn't getting other work done at the same time, I would have ignored it for a while since it wasn't a bad leak.

As for pulling the motor, I'm told that's a pretty standard procedure for the IS, GS, ES lines. A tech there told me that once you've done it a few (hundred?) times it's pretty fast. There just isn't much room to work in the engine bay. He said the V8's in models don't come out very often, but the V6's are easy.

Sucks about the leak though. As other people said, the parts are cheap but there is a fair amount of labor/time involved.
Wow, twice in 2 years? Really crappy seal design and/or bad repair job. Anyhow, i am going to clean up the leak this weekend and will monitor the leak. I will probably ignore it for awhile if it is a small leak.
Old 01-31-14, 02:58 PM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

keep us updated!
Old 01-31-14, 04:33 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Yes, i strongly recommend that you have your car inspected and get the dealer to fix them before warranty expired. Also, i believe they could denied TSIB if your car is outside of warranty period. TSIB is not the same as Recall.
Did you try getting a quote from independent mechanics?
Old 01-31-14, 10:05 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Did you try getting a quote from independent mechanics?
Not yet! Still trying to find a reputable place.
Old 01-31-14, 11:24 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Thats a pricey fix for that type of oil leak
Old 02-14-17, 05:50 PM
mitsuboost
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by embolism
is this something that can be addressed when they do the cam gear recall? If so that should cut down loads on labour?

On another related note, if this develops after the cam gear recall is done, can it be blamed on them opening the engine to get to the cam gears and not resealing properly?
I think it very well could be leaking from the valve cover from when they did the cam gear recall. Mine is leaking from the valve cover on the passenger side

Quick Reply: 2006 IS 350 = 3000$ oil leak :(