IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My headlights look like new again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-13, 02:32 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My headlights look like new again!

It's good to be back on the CL Forum once again. I've been off for a while (for no particular reason other than life catches up to you), but it's good to be back! I have learned more about my car from the members than any manual can teach me!

My headlights were starting to look bad, so I decided to restore them. I used the Meguiar's Heavy Duty Headlight Restoration Kit for the first time and it is definitely the best product I've used for the headlights. The before and after pics don't really show how bad they were or how great they look now, but the difference is noticeable.

Before and after shots (sorry, but no before shot for the passenger side)

Now, I gotta do the same to the fog lights! :
Attached Thumbnails My headlights look like new again!-img-20130302-00140.jpg   My headlights look like new again!-img-20130302-00147.jpg   My headlights look like new again!-img-20130302-00146.jpg   My headlights look like new again!-img-20130302-00148.jpg  
Old 03-02-13, 03:11 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

nice job hazed headlights def ruin the look of a car
now do something about those rock chips. maybe dr color chip...?
Old 03-02-13, 03:12 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow looks great! Always had this problem and never found a solution. I tried different brands.
Old 03-02-13, 03:17 PM
OPTiK
Lead Lap

If you want to be preventative, you could always clear bra your headlights. I did this and it actually filled in some imperfections so my lights actually look clearer afterwards (ie i could see my afs easier). You could also clear bra your headlights after doing something like this to keep them perfect.
Old 03-02-13, 03:50 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

looks good my headlights are starting to look like your before pictures.
Old 03-02-13, 04:23 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by peyman
nice job hazed headlights def ruin the look of a car
now do something about those rock chips. maybe dr color chip...?
Yeah it definitely makes a difference. As for the rock chips, that's another story...haha. I have nearly 150k miles on the car and most of it is freeway driving. I plan to just repaint the entire front end once I can't stand to look at it anymore. In the meantime, I will look into Dr. Color Chip as I've never heard of it before.

Originally Posted by Rash
Wow looks great! Always had this problem and never found a solution. I tried different brands.
Yeah in the nearly 7 years that I've owned the car, I've tried 4 different headlight restoration products. The other 3 would make them look better, but nothing like how they do now using the Meguiar's kit. Also, I didn't apply UV protection after my previous attempts, so the "restoration" was very short lived and I just dealt with it being unpleasant looking. I think I've found the right product this time, and it should last longer with regular application of the UV protectant.
Old 03-02-13, 04:25 PM
koksik
Lead Lap

thats just remind me my fog lights restoration:
Old 03-02-13, 04:32 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by koksik
thats just remind me my fog lights restoration:
Looks good as new! I may do mine tomorrow or next weekend if I can't get to it. Thanks for sharing your pic...gives me more motivation to get it done!
Old 03-02-13, 10:02 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Did you get into a front end accident? Your fenders look misaligned
Old 03-02-13, 10:16 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by smokyis350
Did you get into a front end accident? Your fenders look misaligned
Nope, sure didn't.
Old 03-03-13, 11:05 AM
karasha
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a friendly reminder:: unless you seal the headlight, the hazing/fogging will continue to come back. You have most likely removed the factory UV coating after wet sanding. When the UV coating breaks down, it causes the hazing, because it's doing its job.

I would suggest applying some sort of UV protectant. Ultimately, something permanent, like Optimum Opti Coat 2.0 is a good idea, or, at the VERY LEAST, a wax that has UV protectants in it (like Optimum Car Wax) in that you reapply every 3 months or so.

You could continue to use the headlight protectant in the Meguiar's restoration package, but what I don't care for is that they don't explicitly state how long it should last. Do you apply it after every car wash? Every month?

Optimum is supposed to be coming out with a dedicated headlight sealer, but I haven't seen it hit the market yet. In the meantime, those two previously mentioned options are good choices.
Old 03-03-13, 12:27 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by karasha
Just a friendly reminder:: unless you seal the headlight, the hazing/fogging will continue to come back. You have most likely removed the factory UV coating after wet sanding. When the UV coating breaks down, it causes the hazing, because it's doing its job.

I would suggest applying some sort of UV protectant. Ultimately, something permanent, like Optimum Opti Coat 2.0 is a good idea, or, at the VERY LEAST, a wax that has UV protectants in it (like Optimum Car Wax) in that you reapply every 3 months or so.

You could continue to use the headlight protectant in the Meguiar's restoration package, but what I don't care for is that they don't explicitly state how long it should last. Do you apply it after every car wash? Every month?

Optimum is supposed to be coming out with a dedicated headlight sealer, but I haven't seen it hit the market yet. In the meantime, those two previously mentioned options are good choices.
In the past when I've used other products to restore the headlights, I haven't used any type of UV protection because I wasn't educated on that aspect of the restoration. Now I am, so I will be using the UV protectant that was included with the Meguiar's kit every time I was the car. I've heard speculation about different types of longer-term UV protectants, but nothing that anyone has really tried and spoke highly about. Until then, as long as I use the Meguiar's UV protectant after every car wash, I'm sure they will look good for much longer than in the past.
Old 03-03-13, 02:17 PM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plastic headlights BS

Yeah, I would have checked the option for GLASS headlights if that option had been available.
UV protection from factory, HA !

Grrrrrrrrrr
Old 03-03-13, 03:26 PM
Galvez
Rookie

headlights look a lot better, gotta do mines soon. How much did the Meguiar's kit cost you?
Old 03-03-13, 03:47 PM
AZ06IS350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SlapnUup
headlights look a lot better, gotta do mines soon. How much did the Meguiar's kit cost you?
I got the Heavy Duty kit which was $25 at Walmart. Autozone and O'Reilly's had it for $30. They also have a basic kit which was $20 everywhere I checked. The Heavy Duty kit was definitely worth the extra $5.

Quick Reply: My headlights look like new again!