IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What tires did you put on your IS 250?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 01:56 PM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmm, I ordered Fuzion ZRi's for my 19s (that I have yet to order). $450 off Tire Rack. The next set up would have been the Hankook Ventus V12s for $780. The Fuzions are on closeout, that's why the price is so low.

They seem to have tested OK according to Tire Rack, and since I don't plan on tracking the car or driving aggressively on every trip, they should be fine. My only concern is going to be road noise, as a lot of reviewers seem to complain about that a lot. I'll post back here with a review of them after I get a few kms on them in the summer.
Old 03-02-13, 02:15 PM
biiishplz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The previous owner of my IS250 put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on mine about a year and a half before I bought it. Great grip, low noise, and the one thing I really notice every time I drive a loaner IS250 is that unlike the OE tires: They show complete indifference to rain grooves on SoCal freeways. It aggravates me to no end whenever I'm driving a loaner!

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Hmm, I ordered Fuzion ZRi's for my 19s (that I have yet to order). $450 off Tire Rack. The next set up would have been the Hankook Ventus V12s for $780. The Fuzions are on closeout, that's why the price is so low.

They seem to have tested OK according to Tire Rack, and since I don't plan on tracking the car or driving aggressively on every trip, they should be fine. My only concern is going to be road noise, as a lot of reviewers seem to complain about that a lot. I'll post back here with a review of them after I get a few kms on them in the summer.
Having had Fuzion HRi tires on two of my previous vehicles, I can definitely attest to the noise aspect. They are probably the second noisiest tires I've ever lived with, behind the Dunlop SP Sport 5000s! That said, they wore extremely well and gave more than adequate performance in wet or dry, and most importantly, were a great value. I put a set of Fuzion Tourings on my dad's LS400, and the difference in noise is amazing. Probably the best value in tires for somebody looking for a good all-around tire that won't break the bank. The fact that Fuzion is a Bridgestone brand does give a little bit of extra peace of mind as well.

That said, I'm probably going with summer tires next time around, given the fact that I live in sunny Southern California, and only ever see wet or dry conditions. Most likely candidate is the Bridgestone Potenza RE760.
Old 03-02-13, 02:25 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pilot Super Sports. Better than the Re050s.
Old 03-02-13, 05:32 PM
wlk12
Driver School Candidate

I've had Kumho Ecsta 4X KU22 on mine for several months and I am very pleased. Good traction, handles fine, and comfortable. At least as good as the OEM Bridgestones that came on the car new. Reasonably priced also.

My second choice was the Falken ZE612 - we have them on my wifes's Cadillac CTS and they're fine. Also reasonably priced.

Last edited by wlk12; 03-05-13 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Originally said Falken ZE912 vs 612
Old 03-02-13, 09:26 PM
ISmak4
Driver

Continental Extreme Contact DWS I find are really good tires especially for it's price.
Old 03-03-13, 08:35 PM
surensm
Driver

Lol men vs women
Men: got mines for 600 bucks all around, does the job
Women: I'll gladly spend 1300 for tires because it guarantees the safety

not being sexist it's just so hilarious

Old 03-29-13, 03:40 PM
pixelmunky
Driver School Candidate

I'm a brand new user (purchased this week from a dealer) and I gotta ask the obvious...my IS250 has 18" wheels with Bridgestones and this was a dealer fleet car with 14K miles so I'm guessing these are the originals. The ride feels so jarring with loud road noise and feeling every bump in the road that I'm experiencing a lot of buyers remorse after driving for the past couple of days. This thread gives me hope!

Can I assume I'd see a HUGE difference if I got something like the Hankooks? Cost isn't an issue...I just want to be able to enjoy this car as much on the inside as I do the outside! I'm looking for as smooth a ride as possible with low road noise.
Old 03-29-13, 03:50 PM
joedr
Rookie

Hankook v12s
Old 03-29-13, 04:47 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although I have a 350, I have had the OE Bridgestone Turanza ER33 and am now on Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110, and will be trying the Michelin Pilot Super Sport next as everyone has had nothing but good reviews for it (only downside is it being pricey).

If I were to make a recommmendation I would point out that the Bridgestones lasted me +/- 30,000 miles and were good providing a nice dry/wet combo. The Hankooks feel like they have a better grip in those conditions.
Old 03-29-13, 05:27 PM
Silent53
Rookie

Falken 452's does the job for me

-broke college student
Old 03-29-13, 05:38 PM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by biiishplz
The previous owner of my IS250 put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on mine about a year and a half before I bought it. Great grip, low noise, and the one thing I really notice every time I drive a loaner IS250 is that unlike the OE tires: They show complete indifference to rain grooves on SoCal freeways. It aggravates me to no end whenever I'm driving a loaner!

That said, I'm probably going with summer tires next time around, given the fact that I live in sunny Southern California, and only ever see wet or dry conditions. Most likely candidate is the Bridgestone Potenza RE760.
I liked my Pilot Sport A/S's until they only lasted 27,000 miles--inner edge wear. Michelin covered a prorated portion of the cost to replace them; I got Primacy MXM4's instead; I don't think I would have gotten those if Michelin wasn't paying 41% of the price.
Old 03-29-13, 05:45 PM
dangy
Lexus Champion

If you can afford Michelins PSS or PS2s then I would go for those. If not then Yokohama S. Drives, Hancook V12s and Falken Azenis 453s all got good reviews.
Old 03-29-13, 05:59 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Sumitomo HTR Z III
They're budget summer performance tires
Price wise is about same as the popular V12
However, TireRack actually ranked its performance higher than the V12
Another reason why I got them because I have AWD and these are non-directional tires so I can rotate them whichever way I like which helps to maximize tread life
I do plan on going staggered-19 in future (235/35F, 275/30R), which I will probably get the V12 or S. Drives (highly recommended by some local folks who "track on budget"...those treads on the V12 are damn aggressive!!
Old 03-29-13, 06:32 PM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

v12s are overrated I would get yokohama S Drive...
Old 03-29-13, 07:02 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

My IS 250 AWD came with Goodyear Eagle GTs on them; when they are worn out I'm thinking about Continental ExtremeContact DW (from A/S to summers) for more grip and the softer ride.

Quick Reply: What tires did you put on your IS 250?