IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250 Owners With Over a 100,000 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-14, 01:11 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would recommend you looking at this thread which show you many members mileage on their IS and also their comments.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...r-numbers.html
Old 09-26-14, 10:05 AM
firelikeiy
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lilpub3
thats the biggest crock of bull ive ever heard....wow.

anyhow, i have 140k on my 07 is250 6mt and its still running fantastic. ill be replacing the clutch etc within the next month, but thats just normal wear i expect my car to keep running strong for quite some time.
Maybe when you get higher in mileage you might understand where I am coming from.... or maybe not. Depends on how well you take car of your vehicle and what parts you put in it. A vehicle should last 350K without a minor rebuild. The higher the mileage the less people want to spend on their cars. OEM parts and especially lexus OEM parts are not cheap. Most people will resort to third rate Chinese replacement parts that have a short life compared to OEM. This is even more true for those who do not work on their own cars. Who wants to pay the dealership $120/hr to work on a car with 200K miles when they can go to the corner shop and pay half of that. Those shops most definitely will not use Lexus parts. The IS already has a high cost of ownership from the get go. It eats front tires like crazy (and they are not cheap!) and the insurance premiums are high. You can believe what you want. You seem like a car guy so my comment may not directly apply to you but it is most definitely not the biggest crock of bull. Just look on the forums here.... see how many people get all giddy that they just past the 100K mile mark and that dude that made it to 250K... His car is legend... go over to Toyota Nation and see how many Camry's are passing the 400K milestone. Here is a good comparison for you. I replaced the A/C on my old Camry. The OEM Denso compressor brand new was $255, OEM Denso condenser/dryer $50 and two bottles of freon $20... That's $325 to replace the A/C.... The OEM Denso compressor for the IS is over $500 by itself... who knows how much the dealer will charge and then add the inflated labor rates for the common joe....

Last edited by firelikeiy; 09-26-14 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-26-14, 12:17 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just hit 100k. No problems whatsoever. (not even the dreaded water pump failure!)

Literally gettin my 100k service now. Oil/coolant. And brake fluid since I didn't do it at 90
Old 10-04-14, 09:27 PM
g1itchgsr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

142K here and no problems besides carbon build up on the pistons at 80k
Old 10-05-14, 12:09 AM
Gerb
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone changed there stoock struts yet?
Old 10-05-14, 05:26 AM
Ants350
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerb
Not me. Good for now.
Old 10-05-14, 07:42 AM
robtwo
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firelikeiy
Maybe when you get higher in mileage you might understand where I am coming from.... or maybe not. Depends on how well you take car of your vehicle and what parts you put in it. A vehicle should last 350K without a minor rebuild. The higher the mileage the less people want to spend on their cars. OEM parts and especially lexus OEM parts are not cheap. Most people will resort to third rate Chinese replacement parts that have a short life compared to OEM. This is even more true for those who do not work on their own cars. Who wants to pay the dealership $120/hr to work on a car with 200K miles when they can go to the corner shop and pay half of that. Those shops most definitely will not use Lexus parts. The IS already has a high cost of ownership from the get go. It eats front tires like crazy (and they are not cheap!) and the insurance premiums are high. You can believe what you want. You seem like a car guy so my comment may not directly apply to you but it is most definitely not the biggest crock of bull. Just look on the forums here.... see how many people get all giddy that they just past the 100K mile mark and that dude that made it to 250K... His car is legend... go over to Toyota Nation and see how many Camry's are passing the 400K milestone. Here is a good comparison for you. I replaced the A/C on my old Camry. The OEM Denso compressor brand new was $255, OEM Denso condenser/dryer $50 and two bottles of freon $20... That's $325 to replace the A/C.... The OEM Denso compressor for the IS is over $500 by itself... who knows how much the dealer will charge and then add the inflated labor rates for the common joe....
Not to be rude but the lexus isn't expensive as a luxury brand. Comparing it to the less costly Toyota isn't fair. Need to compare to its German, domestic and Japanese rivals.

As for insurance, I pay $74/month for an insane amount of insurance and a bunch of high value prems.

The service schedule is low cost and infrequent.

Replacement part failures beyond 150k do become difficult to justify at ANY dealership. I will only use mine while in warranty.
Old 10-07-14, 11:25 AM
raymond671
Rookie

Have an 06 IS 250 MT with around 120k and just changed the stock clutch with FSPORT clutch and short shifter. Never had any issues and feels even better now with the upgraded clutch and short shifter.
Old 10-07-14, 08:16 PM
Nevadaface
Driver School Candidate

About to take mine in for the 120k service. Aside from regular maintenance I know I have to replace the waterpump. Stock struts gave out at 80 or 90k (probably because the roads I drive through everyday). I used it as an excuse to get coilovers anyways.
Old 10-07-14, 09:54 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerb
Originally Posted by Nevadaface
About to take mine in for the 120k service. Aside from regular maintenance I know I have to replace the waterpump. Stock struts gave out at 80 or 90k (probably because the roads I drive through everyday). I used it as an excuse to get coilovers anyways.
that's exactly what I did. mine were shot when I got my car so I just went straight to coils. done and done
Old 10-09-14, 05:37 PM
Stetson75
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2008 IS 250...no issues of note, everything works fine. it has had normal maintenance and has 136,000 miles on it. Still runs good. I am hoping to hit 300,00 with this car. So far so good.

Stetson
Old 10-13-14, 08:31 PM
Nevadaface
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious to know what other members do after the 120k maintenance. How often do you take it in to get checked? My mechanic said every additional 30k aside from the usual oil change.
Old 10-16-14, 12:35 PM
mwolff
Driver School Candidate

2008 is250 I bought it new has about 170,000 miles. I haven't had any problems other than I eat brakes and tires like crazy. I have replaced spark plugs and a battery once. My only complaint is occasional clatter on start up and very rare hesitation when coming to a stop after being on the highway. Every year I say I'm getting rid of it because high mileage, maybe next year!
Old 10-19-14, 10:17 AM
carlos3366
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

you may have the dreaded carbon buildup issue. have checked at the dealer, also think about replacing the serpentine belt - just for preventive purposes.
Old 10-20-14, 08:01 AM
lilcoop2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It Just Keeps Going...

Just figured I would check in...

2007 IS250 AWD

Got it around 65,000 miles, and now have it at about 114,000 miles. Between two previous owners, it had only two service records according to the Carfax I pulled before I bought it, which kind of sucks. Since it has been mine, I have been pampering it at a Lexus dealership by my job, following [most of] their little recommended service schedule.

It has had a few repairs at the dealers recommendations, but the ones worth noting are:
* Water Pump - Failed around ~90,00 miles which apparently is common. Obvious problems ensued. Done at Lexus dealership/service.
* Intake Manifold - Lower - Had been an issue since around 80,000 miles, but got it taken care of around 111,000 miles. This one threw a CEL and dropped a code - can't recall which one. It was "sticking" somewhat frequently, which caused the car not to accelerate/decelerate properly. The RPM's would not go up when giving it gas, and at times would not decrease when completely off of the gas. Once fixed, I regained about 20 miles per tank - possibly more since I always fill up at a quarter tank. Done at a trusted mechanic, since the Lexus service department tried to charge me upwards of $600 to replace a "bad exhaust gasket" which they determined to be the cause. I knew better...

I currently still have a CEL that comes and goes, but that same trusted mechanic let me know that it is a bad cat, based on the code. Going to use this as justification to save up for some PPE headers, and still thinking about what I'll do about those pesky cats. Thinking about replacing the sparky pluggers too - just figure it's about time since I doubt it has ever been done. Oh - and I'll ****** up a F Sport exhaust when I get the headers put on.

I've decided to tone it down with the recommended services at the dealership service dept. however. I'll still have routine service done there, and kind of make my own decisions about what needs to be done going forward, maybe based on the service schedule.

Quick Reply: IS 250 Owners With Over a 100,000 Miles