IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lessons learned and advice to all after accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-13, 08:15 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lessons learned and advice to all after accident

Here are some lessons I've learned over the last few days.

I've been trying to sell my IS350 in order to move to an SUV.

I was in an accident last October...there is a post on it here somewhere...it really didn't look like a big deal

Long story short. Rear ended, not at fault, $9k in damage, fixed properly by dealer recommended body shop. Car is great, happy with the fix.

Go to trade in my car and there is "Structural Damage" reported on the Carfax. Part of the trunk was repaired due to crumpling, and since it's uni-body, that's considered frame damage. KBB trade in value on my car is $15k. i was offered $5,500 for a trade, so I left to explore more options.

I stopped into a local dealer that specializes in salvaged cars. He said he couldn't believe that my car wasn't totaled, and in hindsight, i should not have authorized any work, left it at the body shop and the insurance company would have eventually totaled it for me. Basically just stood my ground and said "I don't want the car back". This was my first accident ever, so didn't know what to do at the time.

I have an offer from a wholesaler for $9k. He says that's all he can give me, because when he unloads it at auction, "Structural Damage" is just as bad as the word "Salvage"

So trying to sell the car privately now for a respectable price. I have 100% faith in the car and am offering full disclosure on the accident and what's currently going on.

So for those of you who get into so called "Fender Benders"...be careful. I was never made aware by anyone that "Structural Damage" was going to show up on the Carfax. As stupid of a company as Carfax is...people still run it every time.

Also be aware that in some states, you can't try to get "Diminished Value" from the guilty party's insurance company. In some states, I could go to his insurance company and get the $6k I'm losing because of the damage...but not in lovely Massachusetts!!

If any of you find this information valuable, please send me money...trying to ease the $6k bath I'm taking...or even worse...$12k+ bath if the car had been properly totaled.

All I can do now is be lucky I wasn't hurt, never let something like this happen to me again, and hopefully help others be aware of this kind of thing.
Old 01-25-13, 09:38 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem. There is an insurance guy on here and maybe he can provide more info but you can't just say I don't want the car. If the car is worth 22K then 9K is still under the percentage where an insurance company deems a car a total loss. I say just keep it, you know it's a good car and you've owned it and know it was fixed correctly.
Old 01-25-13, 09:56 AM
Keppie
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to say the same thing. I wouldn't take the hit. The car may not be perfect for your needs or tastes but I would learn how to live with 12k worth of imperfection.
Old 01-25-13, 10:19 AM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Keppie
I was about to say the same thing. I wouldn't take the hit. The car may not be perfect for your needs or tastes but I would learn how to live with 12k worth of imperfection.
It's actually a~$5-$6k hit I'd be taking, as my trade in would have gone for 14-15 with aggressive negotiation.

If things had gone differently from the beginning, I could have managed to get it totaled...then I'd have gotten over $20k for it...but that window has closed.

When a car doesn't meet your needs, it doesn't meet your needs. Just trying to somehow get the highest dollar value I can and get a fresh start with another vehicle.

Not asking for advice, just thought I'd share my experience and hope someone gets something out of it.
Old 01-25-13, 12:00 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Andoskyy

I was in an accident last October...there is a post on it here somewhere...it really didn't look like a big deal

Long story short. Rear ended, not at fault, $9k in damage, fixed properly by dealer recommended body shop. Car is great, happy with the fix.

Go to trade in my car and there is "Structural Damage" reported on the Carfax. Part of the trunk was repaired due to crumpling, and since it's uni-body, that's considered frame damage. KBB trade in value on my car is $15k. i was offered $5,500 for a trade, so I left to explore more options.

I stopped into a local dealer that specializes in salvaged cars. He said he couldn't believe that my car wasn't totaled, and in hindsight, i should not have authorized any work, left it at the body shop and the insurance company would have eventually totaled it for me. Basically just stood my ground and said "I don't want the car back". This was my first accident ever, so didn't know what to do at the time.

I have an offer from a wholesaler for $9k. He says that's all he can give me, because when he unloads it at auction, "Structural Damage" is just as bad as the word "Salvage"

So trying to sell the car privately now for a respectable price. I have 100% faith in the car and am offering full disclosure on the accident and what's currently going on.

So for those of you who get into so called "Fender Benders"...be careful. I was never made aware by anyone that "Structural Damage" was going to show up on the Carfax. As stupid of a company as Carfax is...people still run it every time.

Also be aware that in some states, you can't try to get "Diminished Value" from the guilty party's insurance company. In some states, I could go to his insurance company and get the $6k I'm losing because of the damage...but not in lovely Massachusetts!!

If any of you find this information valuable, please send me money...trying to ease the $6k bath I'm taking...or even worse...$12k+ bath if the car had been properly totaled.

All I can do now is be lucky I wasn't hurt, never let something like this happen to me again, and hopefully help others be aware of this kind of thing.
sell it on craigslist man. I managed to get top dollar out of my old vehicle, and the buyer never wanted to view the carfax. I bought my mustang in 06 for 3800, and sold it 6 months ago for 3000. I also bought my 06 is250 on there for 15,000. craigslist is awesome.
Old 01-25-13, 12:08 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn sorry to hear that. Even $5-6k is a pretty bad hit to be taking on a car for something like this. If I were you, i'd do whatever possible to just keep the car and still get an SUV on the side (i.e. Look for a cheaper SUV maybe that you can afford to keep along side with your IS350) to avoid that $5-6k blow. But that's just what I would do, i'm sure you have reasons for just wanting to sell the car and move on completely.

Carfax always amazes me, sometimes it doesn't report severe damages at all and other times it will make seeminly small repairs seem like a huge deal on the report. My brother's Civic should have been totalled and yet they repaired it and his Carfax shows clean history (Doesn't really matter anyways, he's keeping it till the wheels fall off) but yeah just to show how useless Carfax can actually be...
Old 01-25-13, 12:16 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Downtuned
sell it on craigslist man. I managed to get top dollar out of my old vehicle, and the buyer never wanted to view the carfax. I bought my mustang in 06 for 3800, and sold it 6 months ago for 3000. I also bought my 06 is250 on there for 15,000. craigslist is awesome.
x2

That is the only way you can get top dollar for your car (legally). I'm 100% sure someone out there would take your car for $14-$15k instantly. We're talking about a 300hp luxury car regardless if it has structural damage written on carfax or not, someone out there will buy it.

How do I know? Bought and sold all of my 5 cars used on craigslist
Old 01-25-13, 12:25 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tedward88
x2

That is the only way you can get top dollar for your car (legally). I'm 100% sure someone out there would take your car for $14-$15k instantly. We're talking about a 300hp luxury car regardless if it has structural damage written on carfax or not, someone out there will buy it.

How do I know? Bought and sold all of my 5 cars used on craigslist
Will keep my fingers crossed then. With 106k miles, I have it listed for $13k as of yesterday. No interest yet.
Old 01-25-13, 12:30 PM
Acer
Lead Lap

Pics?
Old 01-25-13, 12:44 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Will keep my fingers crossed then. With 106k miles, I have it listed for $13k as of yesterday. No interest yet.
FYI, always start a little higher than you want. 9 out of 10 people will haggle you on the price.
Old 01-25-13, 12:45 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by acer9103
Pics?
Don't want to turn this into a classified ad. If you want some pics to show to an interested party, shoot me a PM.
Old 01-25-13, 01:07 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not knowing your state I would first contact an Attorney to review if this was handled correctly. the fact they didn't disclose this I wouldn't just walk and let the insurance company get away with this.

hope things work out for you!
Old 01-25-13, 01:07 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the info, very helpful. you should try to post the vehicle up on the classifieds section on here and see if you get any interest on it, Also maybe post the pictures of the accident if you have them so people can see the damage to it that was caused on it.

Here is the link to the classifieds where you can post it up.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...assifieds-154/
Old 01-25-13, 01:35 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

oh ya, it'll sell...

post the link, i wanna see your post if thats ok.
Old 01-25-13, 01:40 PM
Andoskyy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Downtuned
oh ya, it'll sell...

post the link, i wanna see your post if thats ok.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...-106k-13k.html

Quick Reply: Lessons learned and advice to all after accident