IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My oil is already dirty at 2K on new oil.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 09:53 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My oil is already dirty at 2K on new oil.

Dealership changed oil Pennzoil Plat. and BMW filter and now you can hardly see dipstick. Yes the oil is cleaning but is the engine THIS dirty?
Engine flush?
Just filter change?
ANother oil change at 3K
Anything thing else I'm not considering?
IS has 124, 000 miles and runs great.
Old 04-26-17, 11:01 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Pictures would help. Send in the oil for analysis.
Old 04-26-17, 11:18 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by XSV
Pictures would help. Send in the oil for analysis.
agreed
Old 04-26-17, 12:27 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Blackstone UOA would be a great idea. You really can't tell all that much about the condition of used oil by its color.
Old 04-26-17, 06:11 PM
nosurprise
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DixieLex
... and BMW filter and ...
There is your problem right there
The following users liked this post:
DixieLex (04-27-17)
Old 04-26-17, 06:35 PM
Mrfix
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Dealership changed oil Pennzoil Plat. and BMW filter and now you can hardly see dipstick. Yes the oil is cleaning but is the engine THIS dirty?
Engine flush?
Just filter change?
ANother oil change at 3K
Do you trust the dealer? What you ask and pay for and what they do are two different things. Some kid changing oil might not really care.

Changing the oil on an IS is a very simple process, have you considered doing it yourself. Now if you don't have the space to do this yourself find a mechanic where you can bring him the oil and filter you want to use and have him change it for you. Then after 5k send it in for an analysis to BlackStone Labs. They will tell you exactly what is going on inside your engine.

There are engine flushes that you can use like Amsoils product http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...code=FLSHCN-EA . Do this to prepare your engine before the next oil change (follow instructions). You could also use a can of Seafoam if you don't want to get the Amsoil product. Pour it into your crankcase and follow the instructions on the can. It will clean your internals to some extent.

I would seriously consider trying Amsoils Signature Series 5w30. They are basically the folks who invented Synthetic Oil. Their signature series oil is outstanding. I have no experience with Penzoil Synthetic although I have used their Mineral Oil exclusively in an older Camaro and after a few years noticed a huge build up of paraffin on the top end of the engine. I will not use their product anymore.

Use the Mobile M1C 256 (think that is the filter number) filter for your IS. Blackstone actually mentioned that the filtration I was using was exceptional.

As others have said color is not an indication that it is bad. But for $25 dollars a Blackstone Lab report provides incredible insight into what is going on inside your engine.
Old 04-26-17, 06:49 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

bad valve seals
Old 04-27-17, 03:57 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Default Well I just bought AT the BMW Dealership so I had no choice

Originally Posted by Mrfix
Do you trust the dealer? What you ask and pay for and what they do are two different things. Some kid changing oil might not really care.

Changing the oil on an IS is a very simple process, have you considered doing it yourself. Now if you don't have the space to do this yourself find a mechanic where you can bring him the oil and filter you want to use and have him change it for you. Then after 5k send it in for an analysis to BlackStone Labs. They will tell you exactly what is going on inside your engine.

There are engine flushes that you can use like Amsoils product http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...code=FLSHCN-EA . Do this to prepare your engine before the next oil change (follow instructions). You could also use a can of Seafoam if you don't want to get the Amsoil product. Pour it into your crankcase and follow the instructions on the can. It will clean your internals to some extent.

I would seriously consider trying Amsoils Signature Series 5w30. They are basically the folks who invented Synthetic Oil. Their signature series oil is outstanding. I have no experience with Penzoil Synthetic although I have used their Mineral Oil exclusively in an older Camaro and after a few years noticed a huge build up of paraffin on the top end of the engine. I will not use their product anymore.

Use the Mobile M1C 256 (think that is the filter number) filter for your IS. Blackstone actually mentioned that the filtration I was using was exceptional.

As others have said color is not an indication that it is bad. But for $25 dollars a Blackstone Lab report provides incredible insight into what is going on inside your engine.
The put some ZMAX potion in the crankcase and fuel tank.
Old 04-27-17, 10:06 PM
07is4GR
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing I have seen cause rapid oil contamination or what you would see as dark or dirty oil is known as blow by. Its a condition where the oil control ring on one or several of your pistons has gone bad and is no longer sealing the combustion chamber properly.

Given that your engine has 124,000 miles and is running fine, I would assume your top piston rings are fine. One way to confirm is to smell the oil on your dipstick, if it smells like gasoline at all then there lies the problem.

But also as Mrfix hinted, you might not have gotten what you payed for..
DixieLex (04-28-17)
Old 04-28-17, 03:59 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Blackstone is sending in what I need for a UOA so that's gonna happen in about 1K. Gotta a long trip next week, so that should do it on the mileage.

If the UOA comes back and gas is in the oil, what then?
Old 04-28-17, 09:09 AM
07is4GR
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worst case scenario, you'll have to open the engine up and change your rings out at the very least.
DixieLex (04-29-17)
Old 04-29-17, 06:59 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Default Yes, it DOES smell of gas

Originally Posted by 07is4GR
One thing I have seen cause rapid oil contamination or what you would see as dark or dirty oil is known as blow by. Its a condition where the oil control ring on one or several of your pistons has gone bad and is no longer sealing the combustion chamber properly.

Given that your engine has 124,000 miles and is running fine, I would assume your top piston rings are fine. One way to confirm is to smell the oil on your dipstick, if it smells like gasoline at all then there lies the problem.

But also as Mrfix hinted, you might not have gotten what you payed for..
UOA coming up in a couple of weeks
Old 04-29-17, 02:06 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1. I don't care what anyone tells you, the no one can tell you anything about any oil from the color. It has nothing to do with nothing. Only an engine oil analysis can do this.
2. NEVER flush your engine. Yea I know your friend and 34 other people on this board have "been doing it for years and the car's still running" but that doesn't mean it's good. My mother's been smoking for the better part of 48 years and she doesn't have lung cancer; does that mean it's healthy? No. Don't do it. I used to run a small basic maintenance facility and oil change shop. Trust me, if you use a good oil, a good filter, stay away from K&N air filters, and keep on your OCI's you should never need a flush.
Old 04-29-17, 02:37 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

get a leak down test
Old 04-30-17, 04:56 PM
LXMEUP
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Engine flush?
Just filter change?
ANother oil change at 3K
Do not do an engine flush.

I'm sure just like almost every other car manufacturer out there, Lexus doesn't recommend an Engine Flush.

You'll cause more damage than good with it.

I've seen it with my own eyes where a friend of mine ruined his engine with a flush. It loosens up a lot gunk if done properly, which then gets stuck in all the different galleries etc.

----

Not sure why majority of you guys aren't doing your own oil changes. It is one of the bare basic services on a car and the most simplest.

The benefits of doing your own change is that you know exactly what went into your engine, you know exactly what filter was used and you can see the quality of the oil coming out before you put new oil in.

The only thing you need to do is buy a filter removal tool from ebay for approx $20.

Buying a cheap jack and some car stands, you'll pay these both off after the savings from your first oil change.

Last edited by LXMEUP; 04-30-17 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: My oil is already dirty at 2K on new oil.