IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HELP front fenders rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-13, 07:14 PM
ILLestSwaG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP front fenders rubbing

Hey cl! I've been searching forevers for clues on how to clear the rubbing on the front fenders. All I see is that people cut their bumper tabs. I have pretty much done everything I could with my front fenders and for some reason it still rubs real bad. Especially when I turn the wheel right it has a noise that seems like two metals are rubbing together almost like a screeching/grinding sound. Btw I have rolled my fenders cut out the fender liner cut every metal piece possible on the bumper tabs and pulled using phone book method lol. And still rub like **** note: I have 19x9.5 +22 with 225/35/19 in the front and my tires are tucking. About 1inch from the lip of my rim to the fenders. I see all these cars that are slammed and some say they don't rub. So I'm wondering what you guys did to clear it.
Attached Thumbnails HELP front fenders rubbing-image.jpg  
Old 01-09-13, 07:19 PM
AutoSexy13
Driver

I have the same wheels and offset, it can be rolled but where you are going to rub is the tab where the bumper bolts to the fender. You can pound it out some more, cut and extend the fender out with glass work or, make some custom ISF fenders for your car. I'm doing the ISF fender on my 350 but it is no where near a bolt on. If you want pics of the fitment i can post some
Old 01-09-13, 07:38 PM
ILLestSwaG
Driver School Candidate

Are you talking about that big black plastic piece on the side were it connects with the fender metal in the inside? Yes please add some pics. Don't want to raise my car back up. But this rubbing issue is a pain in the a**
Old 01-09-13, 08:22 PM
ThreeFive0
Pole Position

Im going through the same thing. I rub for a day or two then I take the wheel off to find where it is rubbing and cut that section out or move it around. Its just the price we have to pay to roll low. 9.5 +22 is really wide for the front so you may just end up having to take the liner completely out. Im running a 8.5 wide +23 and I rub.
Old 01-09-13, 08:30 PM
ILLestSwaG
Driver School Candidate

I'm not too worried about rubbing on the fender liner. Just when I'm driving and my wheels are not straight there is a really loud screeching noise that seems like 2 metals are rubbing on each other. It's so loud that everyone looks everytime I'm driving lol.
Old 01-09-13, 08:37 PM
ThreeFive0
Pole Position

Its most likely your bumper tab. Its a metal and plastic piece that connects your bumper and fender. It sticks out in the way and you will rub it while turning. I took the liner off and unscrewed it. I took the black plastic piece out of the hole of the mounting point, then carefully bent that metal bracket upward and reattached the plastic mounting point of the bumper back to the metal mounting point of the fender with two zip-ties. You might have to cut it out all together due to running a 9.5 wide wheel.
Old 01-09-13, 08:46 PM
ILLestSwaG
Driver School Candidate

I can take pics tmrw of my fenders. If your talking about the tab that is on the inner top I cut that whole thing out. The only thing that's connecting is the big plastic piece that connect to a metal on the inner side. Ill take pics of what piece I'm talking about tmrw. I wouldn't mind just cutting that whole thing off but don't know if its important lol.
Old 01-09-13, 09:09 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

that's that offset game y'all play!
Old 01-09-13, 09:10 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoSexy13
I have the same wheels and offset, it can be rolled but where you are going to rub is the tab where the bumper bolts to the fender. You can pound it out some more, cut and extend the fender out with glass work or, make some custom ISF fenders for your car. I'm doing the ISF fender on my 350 but it is no where near a bolt on. If you want pics of the fitment i can post some
I would love to see pictures of this progress. This idea has rolled around in my head for a while so that we could fit wider rims up front
Old 01-09-13, 09:17 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

lol @ fitment issues w/ replica wheels.

if you're going to run that wide and that low, you'll need to make sure everything is damn near shaved off, rolled flat, or out of the way.
Old 01-09-13, 09:18 PM
VIS250P
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try 215-35-19 and pull fender more...
Old 01-09-13, 09:30 PM
ILLestSwaG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by projectdna
lol @ fitment issues w/ replica wheels.

if you're going to run that wide and that low, you'll need to make sure everything is damn near shaved off, rolled flat, or out of the way.
Not here to see who is the richest or who has the best wheels just wanna figure out how people drive slammed with wider rims than me withouth rubbing. Right now I got school and bills to pay and these rims are better than stock for me until I have enough money saved to get some vip modulars.
Old 01-09-13, 10:07 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the thing is, why go through all this trouble associated with fitment issues when you obviously can't afford to? now you've front fenders that are taco'd, fender liners that are probably hanging on by dear life, and tires that are grooved and most likely suffering from camber wear. think it's not gonna cost money to fix those issues, huh?

unbeknownst to you, your stock wheels/tires are better than what you've got right now, because at least those won't give you fitment issues.

btw, any sensibility you created by posting how you've got school and bills to pay was just completely negated by the fact that you shelled out a few hundred bucks for replica wheels that has obviously created more issues than you have resources to deal with.

but i've already told you what you needed to do. best of luck.
Old 01-09-13, 10:25 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

the thing is, why go through all this trouble associated with fitment issues when you obviously can't afford to? now you've front fenders that are taco'd, fender liners that are probably hanging on by dear life, and tires that are grooved and most likely suffering from camber wear. think it's not gonna cost money to fix those issues, huh?

unbeknownst to you, your stock wheels/tires are better than what you've got right now, because at least those won't give you fitment issues.

btw, any sensibility you created by posting how you've got school and bills to pay was just completely negated by the fact that you shelled out a few hundred bucks for replica wheels that has obviously created more issues than you have resources to deal with.

Dude... He never said he couldn't afford to fix fitment issues... gtfo your high horse... He's asking for help thats all. If you don't have anything positive to say just leave it be. This forum is a place we all go to look for help. We all have one thing in common and that is modding our cars whether it be a poormans build or your baller build... Jesus.
Old 01-09-13, 10:30 PM
ILLestSwaG
Driver School Candidate

That's the thing. If I bought real rims now then what money would I have left on fixing the issue? I just wanted to try it out on cl cos I know there is alot of people here that are helpful. That is why I choose to get replica so I know what is there to fix and still have money on the side just in case I gotta do anything. Then when I get everything solved all I gotta do is save up money for vip modular and I'm good to go. I rather spend less on rims for now and have money on the side than 5+ grand on rims and be ****** up with everything and have no money on the side. But anyways thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: HELP front fenders rubbing