IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

My experience with XENONDEPOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 05:14 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My experience with XENONDEPOT

I purchased the Xtreme HID kit, high beams & DRL's for my 2006 is350.

Steve from xenon depot helped me with all my questions and the ordering process. I just want to say thank you for being an honest company that is not out to just sell products. Steve helped me pick the right products and offered me a great price.

The products speak for themselves. I just went from a DDM tunning HID kit to the Xtreme kit from xenondepot. The difference is night & day. The quality of the products are undeniably better compared to the DDM tunning HID kit. The brightness level on the HID kit is noticeable as it is much brighter than before. The quality of the ballast speaks for itself. I no longer have the issue where one headlight turns off when the lights are set on auto.

My high beams & LED DRL's work as he had described. I was trying to match the color of all the bulbs and thats exactly what happened. A picture's worth a thousand words so i shall upload one shortly.

Their customer service is one of the best ive experienced. Steve and his crew over at kbbcarstuff were respectable and extremely helpful. They shipped the products at my discretion at two different addresses since i was traveling. No other buyer has ever done that for me. I wasn't even charged extra shipping, which shows that xenon depot is here to make loyal customers, not quick sales.

This is my way of appreciating you helping me with all my questions and working with my rough schedule during my travels.

The LED DRL's

Last edited by Offspring; 12-12-12 at 05:22 PM. Reason: pic of LED DRL
Old 12-12-12, 05:37 PM
2slixx
Lexus Test Driver

Before after comparison of light on road? Mines look faded and wanted to see the difference.
Old 12-12-12, 05:57 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Hmm let me see if I have a before with the ddm running kit. My friend has a ddm kit on his m roadster, and he's complaining about the brightness being higher on mine kit.
Old 12-12-12, 06:02 PM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd really.. really.. love to see a side by side comparison of DDM and XD kits complete with lumen measurement.
Old 12-12-12, 06:05 PM
nmpeter
Pole Position

Xenon Depot never fails.
Old 12-12-12, 06:12 PM
Offspring
Lead Lap

Oust went throug all my pics. I don't have any excerpt for when my one of them kept turning off. Maybe another ddm user could upload one for comparison
Old 12-12-12, 06:18 PM
LexStylez
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XenonDepot FTW . I've had my kit for over a year and I've never had any issues with bulbs going on and off. High quality product.
Old 12-12-12, 08:40 PM
Skyfox16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmacks
I'd really.. really.. love to see a side by side comparison of DDM and XD kits complete with lumen measurement.
I would like to see this too. Ive had a couple DDM kits and they have all worked great- no problems and had them for over a year and brightness seemed fine to me. I just looked at it as i could buy maybe 3 DDM kits for the price of 1 expensive kit.... it just didnt make sense to me.
Old 12-13-12, 05:29 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive had both DDM Tuning and Xenondepot kits for my fogs lights and there is no comnparison, you get what you pay for.

Xenondepot =
Old 12-13-12, 07:21 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

..but this is the problem that I have with all this XD circle jerking on this board. I know Bob is a great guy and I know they're a forum vendor and I know they have great warranty and that they stand behind their products.. What is "no comparison" to you? Please quantify that with actual product performance and not just anecdotal evidence.

When it comes down to it though, as long as that little light bulb shines bright at the correct color temp at the right amount of lumens, then that's what really matters. I honestly couldn't care less if someone pays to advertise. You can find good and bad experiences for both suppliers if you look.

So.. in all honestly..

Old 12-13-12, 07:25 AM
Offspring
Lead Lap

..but this is the problem that I have with all this XD circle jerking on this board. I know Bob is a great guy and I know they're a forum vendor and I know they have great warranty and that they stand behind their products.. What is "no comparison" to you? Please quantify that with actual product performance and not just anecdotal evidence.

When it comes down to it though, as long as that little light bulb shines bright at the correct color temp at the right amount of lumens, then that's what really matters. I honestly couldn't care less if someone pays to advertise. You can find good and bad experiences for both suppliers if you look.

So.. in all honestly..

Pics of the xenon depot kit can be provided. I no longer have the ddm kit to make a comparison. Perhaps you could upload a picture from one of your ddm kit. I'll throw up a pic of the current setup
Old 12-13-12, 07:32 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

What we need though in all honesty is someone to install both kits on the L and R sides.. same car, same conditions.. and measure output with a light meter. We could put this argument to rest real quick..

So.. WAIT.. you still have the other kit, right? Any chance you would be willing to do this test? A decent light meter will cost you around $20. Let's do this!

Originally Posted by Offspring
Pics of the xenon depot kit can be provided. I no longer have the ddm kit to make a comparison. Perhaps you could upload a picture from one of your ddm kit. I'll throw up a pic of the current setup

Last edited by jsmacks; 12-13-12 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-13-12, 08:06 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So.. in all honestly..

I think you mean Steve is a great guy? Im Bob lol

Ive had HID kits from a bunch of different brands. No-name, HideXtra, XenonDepot, iJDMTOY, DDM Tuning, etc.

Personally, I noticed that there is a difference in quality when comparing Xenondepot to the competition. When I say quality, I dont just mean the kit itself, but customer service as well.

I contacted iJDMTOY over the phone to get some information about their HID kits, and it sounded like the guy didnt even want to be on the phone. I know one person cant represent what a whole company is about, but as a consumer, that one experience is all it can take to avoid doing business with a company.

I decided to ignore it and buy the kit anyways. I received a medium sized box with two smaller boxes inside (HID kits). The boxes that had the HID kits were very thin and some cables were sticking out. Whats worse is that the there was no additional padding in the box. The HID kits were basically bouncing around inside the larger box the entire time during shipping. That pissed me off. Im paying $$$ for an HID kit that has BULBS and they were barely protected? That didnt fly with me. I then went to install the bulbs and the color was way off what it was supposed to be (Ex if the kit said 5K, it looked like 8K) the color was THAT off. I then noticed that one of the bulbs was not lighting up and the color looked dim so I contacted them and they sent me a new bulb. This bulb was sent to me in a small USPS yellow bubble envelope. That "bubble padding" is very thin and provides almost no protection. A bulb was shipped to me in an envelope, not even a box? Really? That pissed me off so I ended up returning everything, Im NEVER doing business with iJDMTOY ever again.

After this fiasco, I decided to give Xenondepot a try. I spoke with Steve for a good 30 minutes and told him my experience. He educated me about HID kits and what setup would work well for my needs. He provided me with excellent customer service and has earned my business.

I received my volt kits in about 3 business days, shipped from Canada to FL. My gfs family lives in CA, so I know how much of hassle shipping can be, especially with customs, so that was quick shipping. Here is a picture of what I received, lets just say it was a night and day difference from my previous experience.

Keep in mind, these two boxes were packed nice and tight inside another UPS box.

I think the pictures speak for themselves. The way everything is packaged alone gives the impression of a legit product. The ballasts themselves "felt" better when I held them. They had the higher quality feel to them as opposed to looking and feeling cheap like other brands.

Here is a picture of the lighting output

jsmacks, I noticed you relate the term "circle jerking" to the people who say to go with Xenondepot. We support this vendor because of the quality of the product and customer service. Im one of those people who likes to take care of the people who take care of me, which is why I support Xenondepot, as well as other companies. I understand you can be skeptical, and you may not want spend the extra $ for Xenondepot, but dont knock them until you try their product.

Last edited by bob4256; 05-15-13 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-13-12, 08:12 AM
Nelly
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve is an awesome guy to work with, seriously. Bought perfect yellow matching 3000k hid bulbs from him last year and I never had a problem with them. I went through 3 sets of bulbs before he hooked me up with quality bulbs. He even shipped them faster to me for free!
Old 12-13-12, 08:16 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

I'm not knocking anyone.. I'm using that term because as soon as the name comes out, you get this crowd of people going "Yeah brah, Steve (not Bob.. sorry..) is the best, I love XD.." so on and so forth.

Cool, great, I get it. You guys love the guy. Props to him for accumulating such a following and treating his customers right.

The issue I take is with all this bandwagoning without anyone actually ever producing a shred of side by side quantifiable evidence of how a XD kit physically performs better than a DDM kit. Just saying that it's "brighter" doesn't cut it. This could be true or it could be the placebo effect.

Even showing pictures of your lights after install doesn't cut it. Yeah, they're bright HIDs. So are DDMs. Let's see a side by side.

Originally Posted by bob4256
I then went to install the bulbs and the color was way off what it was supposed to be (Ex if the kit said 5K, it looked like 8K) the color was THAT off.
FWIW, I've also seen in another thread where you stated directly that your XD bulb colors were off.. and Steve replied that it should take "100 hours" for them to "settle"?

Last edited by jsmacks; 12-13-12 at 08:34 AM.

Quick Reply: My experience with XENONDEPOT