IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Disappointed with Lexus...and waiting for answers..

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-12, 10:18 AM
ssis300
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Disappointed with Lexus Service Error. UPDATED - things are looking up.

My IS350 used to run perfectly (the car was just at the dealer for an oil change Tuesday of last week and the only issue was front tire wear), BUT......
On Monday late afternoon (around 4pm), I drove my IS350 after almost a week in my garage (my wife and I just delivered our first baby last week, and I was running around in her Infiniti FX for everything). I had to pick up some of our items we left in the hospital, so I ran over there in the Lex. 15 minutes of running around in the hospital and when I return to my car.... DEAD BATTERY. Damn!! I called Lex of Austin and my awesome service advisor gives me options (sending a battery with a runner, having the runner jump me and return to the dealer for a quick swap, etc.). Since the dealer was about 5 minutes from the hospital, I opted for the Lexus runner coming and jumping me and me following him back to the dealership. If I had tools to do it myself, I would've had them just bring the battery out to me. The runner met me and attached a battery booster pack to my battery and it was only reading 6 volts. After much jostling, and several attampts, the car started and we were on our way to the dealership.

I am told that it should take about an hour, but I got put in a loaner because I still had new father errands to run. After my errands, it was 5:30pm and still no call from the dealer. I followed up with a phonecall and I was told that they "already swapped out batteries, but were still having starting issues." I had a bad feeling about it but had other things to worry about so told them to get it fixed. The next day, I didn't hear back for half the day then called them. I was told that they tried to get in touch with me and my car was ready. He told me that they had mistakenly put the wrong battery in with a reverse polarity and it blew a bunch of fuses, but now the car is fine. What I want to know is how this is possible. Anyhow, I am assured that everything is fine and that my cost is only the battery. Disgusted, I am glad that I'm getting the car back, so whatever.

When I get her back, I see that the labor cost of a battery swap is $50...so basically I am paying them $50 to incorrectly install something that I have done several times on previous vehicles (and just didn't have the time to do it this time)....but whatever. I pay and thank my advisor and am on my way, but stop in the parking lot to set my radio, bluetooth, A/C, etc.....AND MY NAV SCREEN DOESN'T RESPOND!! On the maps, I am able to touch the screen to "recenter," but the map just pans to the South no matter where you touch. And on any screen, ALL of the buttons do not work. I immediately find my advisor and tell him of the issue, and he messes with it for awhile and then takes the care back for about 15 minutes. He comes back and tells me "since everything else works, take the car back tonight and I will get with the diagnostic guy tomorrow and get back with you asap." Well, it is tomorrow and I am anxiously awaiting a response.

Has anything remotely like this ever happened to anyone??

************UPDATED***************
I think I had jinxed myself by knocking the BMWoA and Infiniti Austin service groups, compared to LoA. I have always been treated as well as one would expect.... and better. Looks like things are looking like they will work themselves out, as my SA called me and told me that after talking to his Service Manager, they have gone ahead and ordered a replacement nav screen that should get here on Friday. He apologized for my inconvenience and said that they will take care of everything. Thank you LoA, for coming through after the storm!

Last edited by ssis300; 12-18-12 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 10:21 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It happens. People mess up.
Old 12-12-12, 10:28 AM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats on the baby
poor communication skills **** me off.
frustrating situation, but try to take a breather and realize you just brought new life in this world, what a proud moment
Old 12-12-12, 10:33 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would test everything in the car to make sure it works as a couple of people have posted on the forums about intalling the battery wrong and frying out a couple of Computers and blowing fuses.
Old 12-12-12, 10:36 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like they made the mistake of installing the battery wrong and might have done some damage to the electrical components. I agree with B16, test everything out now while you have the car and make sure everything works. If you notice anything else, bring it up. Seems like they just made a mistake, which everyone does, but hopefully they own up and fix everything.
Old 12-12-12, 10:38 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you're not disappointed with lexus. you're disappointed with your local lexus dealership/service center.

having said that, a few things:

1. your $50 bill was to swap a battery... the first time around. the fact that they didn't do it right is independent of that. such is the cost of convenience.

2. people make mistakes. if you thought blowing fuses were bad, try finding out that the threads one of your head bolts was stripped clean when it was at another local lexus dealership for recall work, but said local lexus dealership doesn't bother to inform you of that, let alone take care of said issue...

(and no, don't bother asking me which local lexus dealership it is, since it is one i rarely went to for service.)

3. there's been documented cases of the nav screen going out. if your 2is is still under warranty, it should be nothing out of your pockets. if it isn't, you can either try a DIY (somewhere in the forums), or find some other way to resolve your situation.
Old 12-12-12, 10:39 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

congrats on your new baby....

I would just let the dealer fix it and ask for refund of the $50 labor
Old 12-12-12, 10:41 AM
JayDMiS
Driver

Congratulations to you and your wife. As far as your situation I hope it gets taken care of ASAP.
Old 12-12-12, 10:43 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The $50 charge has always been there and clearly stated. Your battery is warrantied, but the price to install is not. However, if you have them install it once, the next time they warranty your battery, installation will be free (this is what my SA told me at least).

They were willing to jump your car for free, and they gave you a loaner.

The reverse polarity mistake is a pretty bad one, but it can happen very easily. I would ask for some kind of warranty in the future against electronics because they messed this up.

It is a little poor communication, so you should stop waiting around (getting angry) and just call the SA yourself. What happens if it really is something wrong with your phone and he's not able to get through again, or he's just lying but why risk that. Tell him you want your car fix today, if he doesn't comply ask to speak to another SA.
Old 12-12-12, 10:45 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by ssis300
He told me that they had mistakenly put the wrong battery in with a reverse polarity and it blew a bunch of fuses, but now the car is fine. What I want to know is how this is possible.
It's possible because, IMHO, Lexus did something very stupid. Instead of using batteries with the same polarity in all their vehicles, the chose to use identical batteries with different polarities. Three weeks ago I replaced the batteries in my wife's ES and my F. Both of the batteries I bought were identical looking Bosh batteries in the Group 24 size. Except her's was a Group 24F and Mine a Group 24. Again, identical looking except for the polarity. I had done prior research, so I knew what to expect. But why Lexus does this, I will never understand. So, if someone is not paying attention, it's very easy to make a mistake and install the incorrect battery in a Lexus vehicle because Lexus stocks them both. Either one will fit, and it's not until they are hooked up that all heck will break loose.

Lou
Old 12-12-12, 10:55 AM
ssis300
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My 350 is no longer under warranty, but I can say with certainty that I have never had any issues with my nav screen. It was working fine before they blew fuses. Ironically, the replaced fuses/links have been omitted from the service order. It only shows the battery and positive battery terminal (as I was advised of before this entire ordeal). I refuse to change service advisors, as I am convinced that I have the best one around.
Old 12-12-12, 11:52 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear. There should be something discussed with your advisor about the issues you now have because of THEIR mistake!!
Old 12-12-12, 11:53 AM
TooFly4Ya
Pole Position

Honestly since it was their fault they should handle the situation. Get you a new nav and you should be on your way. Surely keep us up to date of how it goes.
Old 12-12-12, 01:47 PM
dong888
Pole Position

congrats on the baby and sorry to hear about the car. No one on this board can predict what would have gone bad. Reverse polarity can kill chips if the current is strong enough to reach the chip before fuses are blown. What I worry about is the case that it only weakens the chips on your car and thus shortening the life of the devices. Unfornately, there is no way to measure how much life there is left on the chips.
Old 12-12-12, 01:51 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by peyman
congrats on the baby
poor communication skills **** me off.
frustrating situation, but try to take a breather and realize you just brought new life in this world, what a proud moment
This isn't a case of poor communication skills...

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Lexus...and waiting for answers..