IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250 2jz swap information

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-12, 11:49 AM
b00sted2j
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 250 2jz swap information

hey guys, fiirst time on CL but was an avid supraforums member for a long time, and a mod on clubna-t back in the day. I am in the process of picking up a 2008 is250 and was wondering a few things about a 2jz swap. first off let me ask to keep your negative comments about not doing it to yourself as every thread i saw were people just shutting down others but not giving facts of why. so I have a few questions and any real life answers will be appreciated.

1.) are there any fitment problems? motor mounts the same?

2.) i know the electronics are a problem, but what if i use the stock ECU and piggy back a mega squirt or something else? (and i dont mind if i have to take out some dash lights to make it work)

3.) will the stock tranny bolt up to a 2jz?

4.) how much power can the stock auto handle (I would increase the line pressure for stronger shifts)? stock manual?

5.) what are the other main problems people run into?

Thanks in advance, if all goes well i will take tons of pics and do a nice write up like i used to do for my supras
Old 11-28-12, 11:55 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Get in touch with the only guy in the US that is known to have successfully done this. Most answers you'd find from the vast majority here I'd consider hear-say.

Here's a link the "THE-IS" 's thread on my.is who did the swap, i dont think he ever registered or posted on club lexus about the swap.

http://my.is/forums/f156/is250-2jz-v...runnin-418446/
Old 11-28-12, 11:57 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

There is only 1 person on this forum who successfully swapped a 2JZ into a 250. He does engine swaps for a living and would charge 30K just for the labor.

Long story short, its not worth modding the 250 for power, just buy a 350 or ISF. These arent tunner friendly cars.
Old 11-28-12, 12:03 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by heyarms
Get in touch with the only guy in the US that is known to have successfully done this. Most answers you'd find from the vast majority here I'd consider hear-say.

Here's a link the "THE-IS" 's thread on my.is who did the swap, i dont think he ever registered or posted on club lexus about the swap.

http://my.is/forums/f156/is250-2jz-v...runnin-418446/
Yup. That'd be your best resource by far. (Well, THE-IS is the son of the guy who did the swap, he can put you in touch with his dad I'd imagine, who is the one you'd really wanna talk to)

Be aware the guy who did that swap, who does lexus/toyota engine swaps for a living, said it's somewhere around 300 hours of labor to get it to work (on a base model, so longer if you want anything fancy like the body ecu stuff or nav to work... he got everything on the base to work except VSC which ain't happening)

As to your questions- from that thread

"EVERTHING IS CUSTOM. Only thing he can recall not modifying, is the lower radiator hose, which was from a mk4 supra"

He swapped the entire powertrain- motor and transmission and ECU and wiring harness... I suspect you'd need to as well.

The main problem people run into is unless their time isn't worth anything to them the swap isn't really worth doing compared to just buying an IS-F instead of an IS250...l I've seen 3 people ever post about trying it in the US.... one is the guy who did it linked above... the other 2 had north of 50k into it at a shop and never ended up with a fully working car.

Sadly Lance (the guy who did the one working one) did not document his work so there's no wiring diagrams to use to improve that build time any.... if you decide you're gonna do it anyway, DOCUMENT it... I suspect you could sell a pre-made wiring harness for a decent bit of money.

Last edited by Kurtz; 11-28-12 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-29-12, 09:54 AM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30K for labor lmaooo
Old 11-29-12, 10:00 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ms2619
30K for labor lmaooo
At 300 hours of labor that's about right.

I mean, cheaper if you DIY, but for anyone competent enough to actually do the work $100/hr is pretty reasonable.

Heck, that's less than the hourly rate the dealership charges for routine work.
Old 11-29-12, 10:38 AM
ms2619
Lead Lap

i mean yeah it might be but realisticly 30K..for a 2jz swap I rather just get used ISF
Old 11-29-12, 11:00 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd rather have the MKIV!
Old 11-29-12, 11:02 AM
ms2619
Lead Lap

or that ^^ lol you can get a real nice supra for that much
Old 11-29-12, 11:05 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

or that ^^ lol you can get a real nice supra for that much
And not have some cobbled together piece of ****.
Old 11-29-12, 11:20 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

i mean yeah it might be but realisticly 30K..for a 2jz swap I rather just get used ISF
And that's why there's just the one of them
Old 11-29-12, 12:57 PM
06isDriver
Lexus Test Driver

You should consider the 3UZFE swap. It appears that if you can find a donor engine and ecu of the same year or newer, it could be a direct plug and play deal. I've already confirmed the motor mounts and trans mounts for the 2GR are the EXACT motor mounts for the 3UZ.
Old 11-30-12, 06:51 AM
b00sted2j
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys, I dont see where 30K is coming from? i can pull a motor in 3-4 hours if its one i haven't done already, is there any fitment issues? and is it possible to piggy back the two ecu's to make everything work without caring about the dash lights. I was a budget build moderator on clubna-t and was great at figuring things out to save money and still get them working properly. I am not going to pay anyone, my cousin is a master tech for toyota and is going to help if i do it, and we can weld almost anything we have to like motor mounts if needed. I was looking for help and real facts not what a shop would charge and telling me to buy an ISF.
Old 11-30-12, 07:02 AM
ShawnD
Lead Lap

Did you read the thread they posted?
Old 11-30-12, 07:32 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by b00sted2j
ok guys, I dont see where 30K is coming from? i can pull a motor in 3-4 hours if its one i haven't done already, is there any fitment issues? and is it possible to piggy back the two ecu's to make everything work without caring about the dash lights. I was a budget build moderator on clubna-t and was great at figuring things out to save money and still get them working properly. I am not going to pay anyone, my cousin is a master tech for toyota and is going to help if i do it, and we can weld almost anything we have to like motor mounts if needed. I was looking for help and real facts not what a shop would charge and telling me to buy an ISF.
Quoted from the thread i linked in my first response:

"Its a complete Aristo V300 Swap Engine, trans, wiring harness, and ecu i think
VSC doesnt work but who cares. Except for the dash prompt "check vsc" I guess its a minor trade off considering the potential that can be unleashed.
ABS works fine toyota wouldnt disable abs if vsc stopped working (lawsuit, like they need another nightmare to deal with)
EPS works didnt need to swap racks
Smart key works its all original
AFS and HIDs no problem
Car is still DBW its like the gen 1 IS uses a cable."

I still recommend you get on my.is and PM "Toyomoto" who did the swap or "THE-IS" who is his son. They would likely be the only one who have 100% answers and not speculation, aside from Kurtz who I see followed the threads on My.IS. Kurtz is more knowledgeable than most any about this type of thing, I'd say.

Quick Reply: IS 250 2jz swap information