IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS 250 2jz swap information

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 07:52 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by b00sted2j
ok guys, I dont see where 30K is coming from? i can pull a motor in 3-4 hours if its one i haven't done already, is there any fitment issues? and is it possible to piggy back the two ecu's to make everything work without caring about the dash lights. I was a budget build moderator on clubna-t and was great at figuring things out to save money and still get them working properly. I am not going to pay anyone, my cousin is a master tech for toyota and is going to help if i do it, and we can weld almost anything we have to like motor mounts if needed. I was looking for help and real facts not what a shop would charge and telling me to buy an ISF.
Several other dedicated performance shops have tried to do this swap and failed to even get the air conditioning to work.

A guy who does toyota/lexus engine swaps for a living (not a "toyota master tech" who mostly does tune ups and oil changes), the only one known in the US to have actually done the swap successfully, said it took him about 300 hours to do the job.

Not just custom everything but a tremendous amount of time figuring out and then doing all the relevant wiring so that the car actually worked.

The electronics and wiring of the ISx50 is extremely more complex than a supra, worlds different... it's not just a question of figuring out which wire is the dash spedo and plugging it into the right pin on the supra wiring harness. The electronics literally speak a different language than the Supra ECU does (CAN and especially BEAN)

Now, if you just want an ISx50 shell around a 2JZ... that's somewhat easier. The Falken drift team did that several years ago. They basically just ripped out the entire interior, put their own custom dash in, and it was a pure track car (no climate stuff, no audio, no power-anything, etc)...the only thing retained from the original interior/electronics was the push button starter.

That it think only took em like 30 or 40 hours.

They said at the time they wouldn't have even done the job if they'd needed to make the interior/stock stuff work due to the incredible complexity of the wiring.

But if you don't want to believe these guys and think you can do it in a weekend, best of luck to you. Be sure to let us know how it goes.
Old 11-30-12, 09:26 AM
b00sted2j
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Several other dedicated performance shops have tried to do this swap and failed to even get the air conditioning to work.

A guy who does toyota/lexus engine swaps for a living (not a "toyota master tech" who mostly does tune ups and oil changes), the only one known in the US to have actually done the swap successfully, said it took him about 300 hours to do the job.

Not just custom everything but a tremendous amount of time figuring out and then doing all the relevant wiring so that the car actually worked.

The electronics and wiring of the ISx50 is extremely more complex than a supra, worlds different... it's not just a question of figuring out which wire is the dash spedo and plugging it into the right pin on the supra wiring harness. The electronics literally speak a different language than the Supra ECU does (CAN and especially BEAN)

Now, if you just want an ISx50 shell around a 2JZ... that's somewhat easier. The Falken drift team did that several years ago. They basically just ripped out the entire interior, put their own custom dash in, and it was a pure track car (no climate stuff, no audio, no power-anything, etc)...the only thing retained from the original interior/electronics was the push button starter.

That it think only took em like 30 or 40 hours.

They said at the time they wouldn't have even done the job if they'd needed to make the interior/stock stuff work due to the incredible complexity of the wiring.

But if you don't want to believe these guys and think you can do it in a weekend, best of luck to you. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

thank you that was a lot more of why, its mainly the electronics i need to worry about than and not the fitment or fabrication. i dont mind if vsc and some small things dont work. I am still going to look into piggybacking the stock ecu and a mega squirt for the interior gauges and such, I have contacted THE-IS and hoping to get alittle more info, but if the main problem is just the electronics, couldnt a stand alone cover it? I mean ive never delt with custom stand alones as i always stuck with stock ecu's and piggy backing, but AEM i would think should be able to run it all.
Old 11-30-12, 11:09 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

thank you that was a lot more of why, its mainly the electronics i need to worry about than and not the fitment or fabrication. i dont mind if vsc and some small things dont work. I am still going to look into piggybacking the stock ecu and a mega squirt for the interior gauges and such, I have contacted THE-IS and hoping to get alittle more info, but if the main problem is just the electronics, couldnt a stand alone cover it? I mean ive never delt with custom stand alones as i always stuck with stock ecu's and piggy backing, but AEM i would think should be able to run it all.

If by stock ECU you mean the stock ISx50 ECU, that's not gonna happen... the CAN/BEAN stuff talks to, and through, about half a dozen other computers in the car, all needing to work together and all expecting certain feedback and input to work properly. On older cars you can just trick some of this stuff by sending "X volts" but the newer ECUS are often not looking for voltage, they're looking for "Signal X of Protocol Y, over Bus Z"...

Lobuxracer on here might have more details for you on the CAN/BEAN stuff, and he's also pretty guru-ish on Mk4 Supra knowledge, so might be worth checking in with him...here's one example of a post where he mentions issues using a standalone-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5176944-post38.html

but yes THE-IS (moreso his dad actually) would have the details.

Given as I said he does Toyota/Lexus swaps for a living I'm sure if there were any easier/cheaper method he'd have used it.
Old 11-30-12, 02:51 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're who you say you are then surely you know Lance's background and history.. A 5 minute conversation with him would seal the deal and give you a list of major hurdles you'll run into trying to start this motor.

If anyone other then Lance himself could get this motor to run properly I would be in shock
Old 12-01-12, 06:29 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the OP is not grasping the amount of ECU's the 2IS has and how they all need to be in harmony with one another perform all their functions
Old 12-07-12, 12:24 PM
b00sted2j
Driver School Candidate

ok well than how does the is250 motor respond to boost? i know they have the supercharger kits, and I wouldnt be against building a custom turbo set up for the stock motor, does anyone know how and what they tune the supercharged systems with?
Old 12-07-12, 12:32 PM
ThreeFive0
Pole Position

Ask HKS350. He's done the supercharger route. He actually just took it back off recently and sold the complete set-up. He would be able to steer you in the right direction. No one so far has made any real horsepower gains off of a turbo set-up. You can't raise the boost enough due to the lack of ECU tuning and the high compression our motors have. I think those that have, keep it around 5 PSI which doesn't net enough power to come close to a IS350. I think the supercharger set-up will net around 50-70 extra horsepower. Weak gains for atleast 6-8 grand. I would suggest the same thing that everyone else will suggest, just sell it and get a 350. It really will save you money in the long run.

Last edited by ThreeFive0; 12-07-12 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 01:08 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

ok well than how does the is250 motor respond to boost? i know they have the supercharger kits, and I wouldnt be against building a custom turbo set up for the stock motor, does anyone know how and what they tune the supercharged systems with?
Although i have no data logging to provide facts, my is250 on ~7psi has been running great for the last ~1700 miles. No tune, all stock... havent even had my wideband installed... . Best option would be to add mapecu3 to help get rid of it running too lean at high boost (7psi being the "high" end), and also add meth/water injection to kick in around 3.3psi and cool your intake temps.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by ThreeFive0
I think those that have, keep it around 5 PSI which doesn't net enough power to come close to a IS350. I think the supercharger set-up will net around 50-70 extra horsepower. Weak gains for atleast 6-8 grand. I would suggest the same thing that everyone else will suggest, just sell it and get a 350. It really will save you money in the long run.
If the cars paid for, boost it if you want, its fun . You can do it under $6k easily. Pepos has been running ~7pis for well over 25k miles, I'm new to it at almost 2k miles at 7psi. I'll have my dyno runs in and done before christmas, just been too busy to go do it with car shows, holidays and work. But at least it would let you know, HP wise, where youd be at. Pepos did provide dyno numbers in his build thread also though.

Last edited by heyarms; 12-07-12 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 01:10 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

No, don't ask anyone - do a search then ask specific questions once you've started to scratch the surface of boosting this motor! This motor has been out for how many years and no ones done anything "big" in terms of sheer HP #s and the like....There are very clear answers as to why!

Low boost all day long is your only real feasible answer but you need to educate

Last edited by mikellucci; 12-07-12 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-03-14, 11:20 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Bumping a very old thread...

2JZ swap is on the horizon for me, and I'm lookng for some factual help. Hopefully Thumper who did the LS1 swap or The-IS whos dad did the 2jz swap will chime in or asnwer a PM from me soon.

What actual hurdles are out there if i dont care about every or any interior luxuries working?? AC and radio would be nice, but with a giant single turbo i may not even care about the radio LOL. And the gauges i see you can get working, if you spend enough time with wiring. I see Thumper swapped steering racks and The-IS did not, too.

My buddy who will be heading up the swap, he's done countless 2jz swaps, although i know this one is unlike any other he's done. He also has access to TIS data sheets to pull all the wiring diagrams and what not he needs. He's dug into them some and is fairly confident he can get me what i want. 500whp and any luxuries possible.

In the end, my car is a dedicated show car now. It gets driven to car meets, car shows or the gym on nice weather days. So a bunch of toggle switches and a loud engine under the hood i can live with
Old 04-03-14, 01:05 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^Awesome! Wish I could help. Best of luck on the project!
Old 04-03-14, 03:53 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Awesome! Wish I could help. Best of luck on the project!
Thanks. I know it's slim chance to find any good insight but anything that helps avoid a hurdle would help. I can't take 2 years like Toyomoto did. LOL. It needs to be done by August really.
Old 04-03-14, 05:37 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There was this car in Japan. Another one on You Tube as well that I remember being red. Good luck in whatever you decide. My buddy in my crew has a Supra with 783RWHP. It's insane!
Attached Thumbnails IS 250 2jz swap information-2jz-swap.jpg  
Old 04-03-14, 05:44 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

^^What will your choice of engine management be on this project?

I think you need to nail down the "luxury" features you mandatorily have to have...and from there you can work around that. With such an "extreme" swap, obviously getting those small details to work will be difficult at the very least. Honestly though, if it was my "weekend only" car, I could care less for all those small details to work...as I'd be fully involved with enjoying the sound of my open WG dump or my turbo spooling.
Old 04-03-14, 05:46 PM
mikellucci
Instructor

Originally Posted by heyarms
Thanks. I know it's slim chance to find any good insight but anything that helps avoid a hurdle would help. I can't take 2 years like Toyomoto did. LOL. It needs to be done by August really.
I think in our msgs I forgot to mention steering if you consider that an amenity. I'm really stumped at what steering solution you will use as it will likely need to be a mock up solution like Thumper's build with the LS swap. I think your biggest hurdles are going to be at what rate you guys can problem solve and devise machining solutions with reasonable turn around time. IE- motor mounts, tranny mount, drive shaft, shifter, radiator mount, etc., etc. And that's only the "physical fit" aspect of the build.

Are you going built auto, r154 or v160?

Last edited by mikellucci; 04-03-14 at 05:50 PM.

Quick Reply: IS 250 2jz swap information