IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Adding HID Bulbs to a 2006 Lexus IS 350 (2IS) so simple?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-12, 05:01 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding HID Bulbs to a 2006 Lexus IS 350 (2IS) so simple?

Hey guys, sorry if this is a dumb question but I did a search on "90981-20024" and simply "Adding HID" on clublexus and couldn't find a clear answer.

A co-worker of my dad had given my dad these Lexus HID Bulbs ( ” Toyota Bulb, HID, 90981-20024″) sometime back:

My dad gave them to me to keep as bulbs to use if the HIDs in my 2008 Lexus IS 350 ever went out. I didn’t know if these were really compatible but held onto them.

But then my dad got a used 2006 IS 350 which didn’t come with HIDs. He asked for the bulbs back to put in his car so he could have HID. I didn’t think that it was a simple as putting in HID Bulbs into a car for it to have HID lights, I thought it was a whole projector system.

But today I took the car to the Lexus Dealer and was told that it would cost $135 to install these bulbs and my dad would indeed have HID bulbs in his IS. I was surprised. I asked if it was as simple as swapping out the bulbs. He said it was more involved then that. Specifically, there would be some disassembly and programming involved.

Unless there’s an easy DIY, or a cheaper but reputable place to go to, I plan to have the dealer do it for the $135 in the near future. I found this write-up which made it seem easy: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...ml#post6099939 . But then this thread made it seem really involved: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-pictures.html
Old 11-24-12, 05:10 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

No these cannot be installed into the car. No it's not that simple.

Aftermarket HID kits are designed to fit into a headlight made for halogen bulbs. They don't work particularly well, but they work. Original bulbs (such as these Lexus D4S bulbs) are designed for specific housings that use D4S bulbs. These bulbs will not fit the headlights, nor will the correct ballasts (which you will need to buy) fit easily into the headlights (you'd have to make a few holes in the bottom of the headlight and the modify the wiring to fit the ballast). It could be done, but not extremely easily, but then you'd still have the issue of the H11 halogen projectors not accepting the D4S bulbs.

You either need an aftermarket HID kit, a set of OEM HID headlights, or to do some sort of retrofit of either 2IS HID projectors (along with the appropriate ballasts and then do some custom mounting), or other projectors (which are usually too large to fit in the headlight and necessitate cutting a hole for them to fit/for you to access the bulb).

Jeff