IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Considering changing dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-12, 11:00 AM
andcas7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering changing dealerships

This is my first Lexus, and when I got the car at the dealer I was planning on always taking the car to the same dealer, however I have not gotten the service I expected and it is very far from home, I have two other dealers I can try, but before I consider the change:

Do dealers treat their service customers the same regardless of where you purchased the car?

Would I expect a more careless service if I take my car to a different dealer?

Any opinions?
Old 11-09-12, 11:06 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

selling cars doesn't make them much money.....dealerships' main source of profit comes from selling warranties and "packages" such as rust proof, paint protection, leather protection, etc. as well as service and maintenance packages

any dealer would gladly take you in

or you can do what most of us here do which is:
1. DIY
2. Buy some good synthetic oil, buy filter from lexus/toyota dealer, and take it into a local garage where you can spend less money overall while using superior oil
Old 11-09-12, 11:10 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How they treat you is going to vary at all dealerships really. Some dealers will go above and beyond for customers, and others i've read customer service horror stories about on CL. Actually taking your car there and trying to give them your business is the only way you are gonna find out really. From what I've seen, service departments don't care where you bought your car from - and unless you have the dealerships name on your car somewhere i'm sure the service tech's wouldn't really know the difference between a car bought at their dealership versus somewhere else. Are you worried about other dealers not caring about your car since you didn't buy it from them? I personally have my car serviced at a Lexus dealer far from the dealer where I bought the car and have had 0 issues.
Old 11-09-12, 11:47 AM
andcas7
Driver

Yes, I'm paranoid that something won't get screwed in properly and come loose lol... And I'm afraid of messing up by doing things myself, and at least while I have warranty I plan on doing the service at the dealer. One thing is certain, I am not paying $800 for replacing the spark plugs...

Last edited by andcas7; 11-09-12 at 11:51 AM.
Old 11-09-12, 11:50 AM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

try a different SA, some of them are really nasty but some are willing to help
Old 11-09-12, 02:21 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by andcas7
Yes, I'm paranoid that something won't get screwed in properly and come loose lol... And I'm afraid of messing up by doing things myself, and at least while I have warranty I plan on doing the service at the dealer. One thing is certain, I am not paying $800 for replacing the spark plugs...
Well there's a chance that could happen at any dealership really, right? lol Just do some research, check out online reviews (i.e. Yelp) about the dealership and read the ones that talk about experiences with the service department. Keep in mind not all of them are going to be positive either way....so don't let one customers bad experience make you feel the same way about the dealership - look for common issues basically.

Building a good relationship with one of the SA's is key too once you find a dealership that you like.
Old 11-10-12, 04:32 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Most All Lexus service departments are top notch. Do they make mistakes from time to time...sure, they're only human.

One thing I do suggest, get to know your SA on more of a personal level. Stop in from time to time just to say hello and shoot the sh.t with them. They are more willing to help you if they know you and you are nice to them. They will sneak you in when you need and throw you discounts on service, parts and quick no charge diagnosis of simple issues.

My Lexus SA and I have become pretty tight, when I'm by the dealership, I always stop in to grab a cup of coffee, I check out what's on the showroom floor and shoot the bull with the sales staff. Regardless of the dealership you buy your car from, ALL Lexus dealerships will wash your car whenever you come by. Although I'm NOT a fan of letting them wash my car. Most of us here at CL tend to be **** about hand washing. As long as its touch less...I'm good with it.

I'm the same way with my MINI Cooper, the guys at MINI are great, so low key and down to earth group. This is a group that works for MINI because the love of the Brand!! Yeah, they're all there for a job, but you can see each of them love to be there because of the fun atmosphere the company provides. So, they tend to be very friendly and extremely helpful.

So, back to the OPs dilemma, find a service advisor you like and try to build a friendly relationship with them. You won't have to tell them how particular you are about your car...they'll know it and take care of it when your gone.
Old 11-10-12, 09:17 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always been a fan of using a local, reputable shop rather a dealer. Dealer's prices are beyond inflated as their main source of profit comes from the service department. I've worked at Toyota dealer before opening my own small dealer and know first hand. Would you rather pay double just to sit in a dealers gorgeous wait room with a LCD TV, Donuts, coffee or just go to a local reputable shop and pay 40% less minis the coffee and donuts. Different dealers also charge different amounts so always good to ask 2-3 dealers for the same service.