IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I shaved my rear fenders, is it to late to roll?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-12, 05:49 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL at all the negative comments, guess everyone is an expert and works at a body shop. Your fenders are already shaved, so just shave off more material if you can. And then use some touch up paint to protect it, its not going to rust unless you left it outside for years just sitting. I have seen a ton of fender rolling jobs that look worse than that and the paint still cracks. Front and rear fenders on one of my SCs are shaved and it looks perfect, paint is fine. The rear fenders on my ISF are rolled flat. Both ways work just fine when done correctly.
Old 11-02-12, 06:23 PM
Low Life
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your input. the problem is if i end up finishing shaving them then I can not get them pulled right? and the wheels i have are no where close to tucking over bumps yet. even with a camber kit, these fenders will still need to be pulled, so i'm still looking for some more input and opinions on if this fender can still be rolled with out waves.
Old 11-02-12, 06:45 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
LOL at all the negative comments, guess everyone is an expert and works at a body shop. Your fenders are already shaved, so just shave off more material if you can. And then use some touch up paint to protect it, its not going to rust unless you left it outside for years just sitting. I have seen a ton of fender rolling jobs that look worse than that and the paint still cracks. Front and rear fenders on one of my SCs are shaved and it looks perfect, paint is fine. The rear fenders on my ISF are rolled flat. Both ways work just fine when done correctly.
takes years to rust? lol. have you seen surface rust from brake rotors sitting for a few days? any time you are to bare steel, it can literally rust the same day depending on moisture. and if you dont properly sand and remove the rust, most people would just paint and seal over it, guess what?...there is still rust under that paint and how you have rust eating panels down road like how you see on crappy cars. #bodyshop101
Old 11-02-12, 07:07 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Low Life
Thanks for your input. the problem is if i end up finishing shaving them then I can not get them pulled right? and the wheels i have are no where close to tucking over bumps yet. even with a camber kit, these fenders will still need to be pulled, so i'm still looking for some more input and opinions on if this fender can still be rolled with out waves.
I wouldn't recommend trying to pull the rear fenders at this point. Its possible but if the two layers of metal separate its gonna look pretty bad. The fronts you can get away with if you are careful.
Old 11-02-12, 08:59 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To be perfectly honest with you, the REAL way to do it is to fit the rear quarter panel (not fender) over the wheels. Then repaint the entire panel to blend in with the rest of the body if you don't want to run excessive camber. This is the problem I have with all this poke fitment game and being flush and slammed. It is totally possible but you're gonna have to spend some money. Good luck with you decide and hope all goes well.
Old 11-03-12, 11:21 AM
Low Life
Pole Position

until I decide what I'm going to do, can i drive it like this? is the quarter panel strong enough to handle some bumps if it hits the tire?
Old 11-09-12, 10:56 AM
Low Life
Pole Position

I think i might just roll the other side. and pull the side i shaved. if if wrinkles i will just have to get some body work done. I see no way around this mess
Old 11-18-12, 03:56 PM
Low Life
Pole Position

Just installed the Megan Camber arms. good news is that i can get the wheel lip to tuck. bad news is that in doing so, i have added waaaay to much camber and it looks retaded.

so i adjusted the camber where I felt it looked best. And like i originally thought it will now hit the wheel lip instead of the tire which is even worse. I raised the coilovers a half inch, so it will need more travel to hit the lip. I took it for a drive and it rubs when i take turns. I was wondering if you guys think a sway bar will help it not rub during turns.
So i'm still debating on what to do next.

once again option A: shave the other fender as well. get a sway bar, raised car 1/2" and hope it never hits.

Option B: Pull the side I shaved. and roll, and pull the other side.( This is the most likely option, however i'm scared that both quarter panels will look uneven.)

Option C: Shave other fender as well, and have them both pulled.
Old 11-18-12, 04:00 PM
Low Life
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CalitriSC
I have never seen rolled quarter panels. Is it possible to roll them with absolutely no waves in it? Can someone posts some pics of their rolled quarter panels?
Old 11-18-12, 04:17 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

I have never seen rolled quarter panels. Is it possible to roll them with absolutely no waves in it? Can someone posts some pics of their rolled quarter panels?
i rolled mine with no waves. was easy as hell. took about 15 mins per side after taking the wheels off. all you need is a fender roller. i rolled mine pretty flat too.
Old 11-18-12, 09:08 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

horrible. too late to go back.
Old 11-18-12, 09:09 PM
Joshohoho
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

until I decide what I'm going to do, can i drive it like this? is the quarter panel strong enough to handle some bumps if it hits the tire?
Should've just kept it stock if this was going to happen.