IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Got into an accident today. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-12, 07:16 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Abahusain
do you think they can fix and make it look as brand new?

Yes and its not uncommon for a car to have the bumper repaired or painted on a used car. They don't need to blend any panels. As for the vin sticker I would be shocked if there is not one located some where on the bumper. Not only do they use this for CPO cars its also used to track stolen parts.
Old 10-27-12, 07:35 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by krUnIZzLE
Insurance, I wouldnt trust that. and i hope you got a police report....
exactly, trying to commit insurance fraud and make a couple extra bucks WILL NOT be worth it at the end of the day bc the guy did not do you a favor by hitting your car, he's trying to save himself obviously and if he decides to screw you over and not pay up, what are you gonna do? Tell the cops " Oh he hit me and we made this deal to keep it on the down low so I can make some extra cash and the other guy doesn't have his insurance rates go up". That will go over well.. Later on if you need to resale and if you "forget to mention" this accident to the buyer seeing that you're worried about having a come tag on the new bumper of not, that would be pretty shady as well. Hopefully you don't try to sell it on here to another CL member if u decide to cover this up Aside from any possible damages underneath that bumper can be easily fixed. You don't need a new one

Last edited by RDIS250AWD; 10-27-12 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-27-12, 08:05 AM
istarzan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Yes and its not uncommon for a car to have the bumper repaired or painted on a used car. They don't need to blend any panels. As for the vin sticker I would be shocked if there is not one located some where on the bumper. Not only do they use this for CPO cars its also used to track stolen parts.
I'm 99% sure vin stickers are only on metal parts like doors, hood, trunk, and fenders. I took my front bumper off to install hid fog lights. There were no stickers.

Last edited by istarzan; 10-27-12 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-27-12, 10:23 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^ honestly don't recall and no longer have either of my Lexus. I'm curious now to see if they don't have them I would be shocked. I had the rear bumper on my S2000 repainted prior to selling and it had a vin sticker on it. The front bumper also had one.
Old 10-27-12, 10:35 AM
Nikon
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

insurance fraud? how is it insurance fraud to let someone pay with their own money to fix a damaged vehicle?

is our country that insurance dependent now we don't even know how to handle a situation where someone damages something and then pays the owner to repair the damages they've caused?

if he can't afford it, then yes, that is what insurance is for. i don't think it is insurance fraud for someone to damage your car, and then pay to fix the damages they caused. i'm not surprised everyone is acting panicky about it but if the guy is legit and wants to pay for what he's done, let him. if he doesn't make good on the deal, then contact his insurance. that is what insurance is for. to cover what you cannot afford to cover yourself in the event of an accident.
Old 10-27-12, 10:46 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by amilkar350
What kind of car was he driving? id go woth insurance, he shouldnt be driving close enough to hit u. Do it the right way
+1. Bare minimum, you should call the cops when you have an accident. The problem you will potentially face is that once you go and price the work, the guy balks at paying. THEN you call insurance, and you have no police report stating the other driver is at fault. Then you have to go thru your own insurance, and pay the deductible. If you are doing this guy a favor by not going through insurance, don't screw yourself by trying to find the cheapest way to help him out...
Old 10-27-12, 11:18 AM
maniacbob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea ^^^

If you didn't file a police report then there is a chance the guy can just not pay you for the damage. And then you get screw for Trying to be a nice guy. So just hope that the guy does what he says.

I also don't think this is insurance fraud at all. If you can pay for a damage then you don't need insurance at all.
Old 10-28-12, 03:06 AM
Abahusain
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for all the replays. Ive asked about the guy paying cash and it does not have to do anything with fraud. The only thing is that i didnt get a police report because i had an exam to take after 30 minutes and didnt want to get late (he did not mind at all letting the police come and write the report). The guy has been honest and he gave me all his info including his company`s telephone and i Called his office to verify the name. I will go on monday to couple of body shops and get estimates. One questions, Can i still go to police to get a report? or it has to be when the accident happened?
Old 10-28-12, 06:04 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Im sure you have 24-48 hours to report an accident. If you have evidence and all this persons contact info I personally wouldn't worry. A reported accident, this being minor, can/will report on a car fax and be a ding against you in the future.

Never did find a bumper cover with a vin sticker after a few quick searches. Maybe it doesn't but I still find that odd. Another thing to take into consideration is some times a new bumper "won't" fit/line up like yours did. Plus with the slight accident things may have possibly shifted so your current bumper is going to line up/fit the best. Another reason I would suggest getting it fixed rather then replaced.

As for a body shop I would call a few Local Lexus dealers and see who they use. There has to be a Lexus Certified repair/body shop local. This is where a dealer will send any new cars that are damaged in transport or on their lot. This is your best body shop to send to. They know your car better then anyone and tend to be more expensive. Finding the "most" expensive shop as others have suggested isn't going to necessarily get you the best end results.

Funny thing I actually removed the bumper from my S2000 and took it to the Local Certified Lexus shop for the work. I have used them for years and they are the most expensive for side jobs/small work when insurance is not involved.

If your capable of removing and have a way to drop the bumper off this is what I suggest. Take this and your Fuel Door (for paint color match) and drop off. This way you eliminate any chances for over spray and best to paint it off the car so NO paint lines. I buy/sell (wholesale) cars for a living so giving you my honest suggestion to help you out down the road. Not something I "think" you should do

For reference:
Old 10-29-12, 08:02 AM
soupdawg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

police report isnt necessary nor do they even come out to file them most of the time. all a police report for a traffic accident contains is the insurance and driver information for each driver and a statement about the accident. all of which you have already and any statements would just be repeated to the insurance companies if they were to get involved anyways.

take your car to longo lexus collision center. being that its a lexus dealer the prices will be quite high.
Old 10-29-12, 10:52 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If I recall correctly from Jeff Lange, the VIN sticker thing is a US thing. It's not there for the other markets like Lexus Japan or Canada, etc...

As for replacing the bumper, keep in mind Sewell's painted bumper is not a factory painted bumper. The factory painted ones are available from Lexus Japan and the way to get them is to import it.
Old 11-01-12, 03:11 AM
Abahusain
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for not replying fast to this post. Ive been really busy the past week.

UPDATE:
I took the car to a body shop that my friend recommended, it turned out that there is damage behind the bumper and it need to be fixed. I got an estimate of $3,300 from my friend body shop. I also went to Santa monica lexus body shop and they estimated $4600. I have contacted the other party and told him its better to do it through insurance since the amount is higher than we expected. He called his insurance and they contacted me. It turns out that the insurance company is from out of state and they dont have any body shops that they deal with in los angeles. The person who called me from the insurance company told me to get an estimate from a body shop of my choice and fax it to them. I went to other body shops and none were higher than santa monica lexus`s estimate. So I will send the copy from the estimate tomorrow and I will wait for the check. They said it will take 3-5 business days to get a check. I am now pissed that i have more damage than i expected. The good thing is the car looks good and the damage isn't noticeable that much.

For Carfax, who reports to them? is it the insurance or the body shop?
Old 11-01-12, 07:32 AM
DGNY2009
Driver

No one reports to Carfax there a information gathering system. idk bought Cali but in NYS once the insurance company cuts the check it will show a claim was processed and why when you run a Vin report. GLW the fix. hate to see a beautiful car get hit never feels the same after lol
Old 11-01-12, 07:38 AM
B16da9
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nikon
insurance fraud? how is it insurance fraud to let someone pay with their own money to fix a damaged vehicle?

is our country that insurance dependent now we don't even know how to handle a situation where someone damages something and then pays the owner to repair the damages they've caused?

if he can't afford it, then yes, that is what insurance is for. i don't think it is insurance fraud for someone to damage your car, and then pay to fix the damages they caused. i'm not surprised everyone is acting panicky about it but if the guy is legit and wants to pay for what he's done, let him. if he doesn't make good on the deal, then contact his insurance. that is what insurance is for. to cover what you cannot afford to cover yourself in the event of an accident.
I was thinking the same thing, this is not insurance fraud. What is fraud is the guy that posted about getting a lawyer and collecting for pain and suffering.