IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Dealer won't perform Recall on IS250 Engine Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-14, 01:51 PM
IC3B3RG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go online to this site and add a complaint http://www.nhtsa.gov

I believe if enough people complain about rough idle, the vvt can sprocket start up chatter, carbon build up and countless other issues from poor engineering and design of these motors.... We might be able to cut our losses as a group. I feel like there are more people have problems with these cars then there are not having problems. That's all we can do is complain and hope the government takes the time to research these motors.
Old 05-26-14, 03:38 PM
GAZA4Life
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarolannD
Looking for input. Have 2006 IS250, which has always run rough. Had it misfire so bad I was scared to drive it, had it towed into Lexus El Cajon for service. They changed spark plugs ($800 later). Problem continued intermittedly misfiring - took it in Aug for 2nd service, they blamed me for not buying premium gas (I bought it and switched). Car still runs rough, received RECALL letter - took it in...Dealer says it's not showing codes and won't perform recall service.
The letter says it "may" show the codes - do I have any recourse?
Who do I talk to? Our service rep is not very helpful and I always dread when I get him (Josh at El Cajon in case anyone monitors these)...They claim it will require other service that will cost me $1900.

Took it to Navy Auto shop first time it happened and they diagnosed it as: Misfire on Cylinder 6, Stability control has intermittent failure, reprogramming issues (?), carbon build up. I took it to the dealer, which is when they gave me an $800 spark plug change.

Any ideas/suggestions for me? appreciate it!
SMDH.. I've had this similar issue with my 07 is250 with only 37,000 miles on it. Got yanked around from corporate and my service guys. My car was there in shop for 3 months. All in all I ended up buying an 07 GS350 and months later bought an 08 used engine and installed. I'm sorry we love the brand we pay the price at times but my opinion (and this is my opinion) lexus customer satisfaction seldom are there to assist with issues. They send you letters explaining and like to throw the book of their guidelines for JUST ABOUT EVERY SITUATION you may encounter.
Now saying that there are some dealers that go above and beyond and even take some chances to please you by fixing the issue. KUDOS to lexus of WEST PALMS...
Old 08-30-14, 03:37 PM
lisa0311
Driver School Candidate

Oh my gosh! The exact same thing happened to me! It took my 4 times taking it in(same place, same people) before they finally said it qualified. I had to make a lot of complaints first. One year later, it's acting up again and they said bad gasoline!!!!! I knew it wasn't and I paid 400$. Luckily, happened again the next day and they are finally fixing it right after many complaints to the manager and Lexus Corp.

Originally Posted by CarolannD
Looking for input. Have 2006 IS250, which has always run rough. Had it misfire so bad I was scared to drive it, had it towed into Lexus El Cajon for service. They changed spark plugs ($800 later). Problem continued intermittedly misfiring - took it in Aug for 2nd service, they blamed me for not buying premium gas (I bought it and switched). Car still runs rough, received RECALL letter - took it in...Dealer says it's not showing codes and won't perform recall service.
The letter says it "may" show the codes - do I have any recourse?
Who do I talk to? Our service rep is not very helpful and I always dread when I get him (Josh at El Cajon in case anyone monitors these)...They claim it will require other service that will cost me $1900.

Took it to Navy Auto shop first time it happened and they diagnosed it as: Misfire on Cylinder 6, Stability control has intermittent failure, reprogramming issues (?), carbon build up. I took it to the dealer, which is when they gave me an $800 spark plug change.

Any ideas/suggestions for me? appreciate it!
Old 08-30-14, 10:38 PM
lisa0311
Driver School Candidate

Default same exact experience

Oh my gosh! I had the same experience at the same dealership and same people. (El Cajon Lexus). It took me 4 times taking it in (a year ago) and complaining a lot and calling lexus corp and knowing someone with connections to finally get it in. I guess they didn't do the job right because a yr later my car runs like crap and they tried to tell me bad gasoline too! I paid the money but said I knew that wasn;t the problem and thank goodness it acted up again so I could take it back. They are finally fixing it right after going through so so much for so long! So many complaints before it happened. We'll see when I get it back next week.
Old 10-17-14, 11:58 AM
kramkooz21
Driver School Candidate

Default IS 250 AWD more than just engine problems

I have taken my 2007 IS 250 AWD in four times for engine misfire problems which is a safety issue as car goes from 65 to 40 and then misfires all the way back to dealership. Lexus won't fix because they restrict dealers from doing any thing unless specific codes come up. Didn't need a code to find gas in my oil. Come on Man! Do I have to get in a car wreck before any action is taken. I had to pay several hundred dollars to change oil and add engine cleaners.

Now everyone knows about this issue, but I just learned both of my axles are leaking. How do I fix that? Replace both axles is what my Lexus dealer told me. This is the second Lexus that I have had to replace both axles. My RX 300 axles had ABS sensors on the axle that broke off - so no ABS. That is $1,200.00 per axle. This car also had a gel coat issue and had to replace transmission ($4K). I am embarrassed that I was gullible enough to buy another Lexus.

I am going to call Lexus customer service to see if they will step up and fix my IS 250 AWD. Sad that I have to waist my time doing this when they should have taken care of me in the first place. Stuck driving a dangerous car which I can't sell to anyone.
Old 01-25-15, 06:06 PM
autox250
Driver

you exaggerated everything you said, don't post lies... your info can help someone out... If it's TRUE.
1) You do not need to have misfire codes to submit a claim and get approval you have to get it to run rough meet some criteria and submit a recording of it.
2) Please explain how you found gas in your oil... The only way oil smells like fuel is if you don't change it regularly.
3) rear axles the boots are stamped on, there's no rebuild.... Only fix is to replace axle (axle boots wear out) on ANY car
4) RX300 wheel speed sensors (ABS) are NOT on the axles, they're on the HUB. if the TONER RING broke off the axle it can be replaced by installing a new toner ring on the OLD axle. Again not the truth...
So the auto trans went bad... How many miles did it have because just like axles sometimes a trans goes bad..

It just that you're going out of your way to trash the cars the brand and you have NO knowledge of what you're talking about. MOST people that react this way typically don't maintain their cars, they cheap out any way they can but are 1st in line to complain
Old 01-26-15, 05:24 PM
xhackr
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by autox250
you exaggerated everything you said, don't post lies... your info can help someone out... If it's TRUE.
1) You do not need to have misfire codes to submit a claim and get approval you have to get it to run rough meet some criteria and submit a recording of it.
2) Please explain how you found gas in your oil... The only way oil smells like fuel is if you don't change it regularly.
3) rear axles the boots are stamped on, there's no rebuild.... Only fix is to replace axle (axle boots wear out) on ANY car
4) RX300 wheel speed sensors (ABS) are NOT on the axles, they're on the HUB. if the TONER RING broke off the axle it can be replaced by installing a new toner ring on the OLD axle. Again not the truth...
So the auto trans went bad... How many miles did it have because just like axles sometimes a trans goes bad..

It just that you're going out of your way to trash the cars the brand and you have NO knowledge of what you're talking about. MOST people that react this way typically don't maintain their cars, they cheap out any way they can but are 1st in line to complain
Well said, sir.
Old 01-29-15, 06:48 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

So the auto trans went bad... How many miles did it have because just like axles sometimes a trans goes bad.
Well, the transmission problem with the RX300 is a pretty well known issue, and Lexus have not stepped up to the plate on this one.
Old 01-30-15, 09:52 AM
Wht95scort
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off this is NOT a recall! It's a service bulliten there is a HUGE difference. As stated above certain things need to take place while recording a snapshot of the cars data. If the tech can't get it to happen then noithing can be done. Another thing you stated you had your plugs changed. Big the wrong plugs were used it will cause a cold start misfire/ rough idle condition. The plugs need to be long reach. If you feel you aren't being treated fair try another dealer.
Old 01-30-15, 11:36 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

While I agree with some of the sentiment in your post, some of what you said isn't really all that accurate either.

1. While it's true that you don't need to have codes to potentially get extended coverage and the updated parts, that seems to be what a lot of dealers are looking for. Some of them seem to be ignoring a lot of running-rough conditions. Not sure why, but I've seen it happen with various Lexus dealerships. That said, they are going to need to find something wrong that matches the bulletin in order to perform it. I would suggest calling Lexus USA on that and get them in communication with the dealer, perhaps there is another concern with the vehicle not related to the bulletin causing a rough running issue?

3. On the 2IS, the rear boots are not replaceable, but they are replaceable on a lot of other cars (including other Toyota and Lexus models, and the front axles on the 2IS). It's a bit sad that Lexus made them non-serviceable on the IS and a few others that use a similar designed rear axle.

4. While the ABS tone rings are on the axles on the RX300, unless you have a FWD model, then the rear tone rings would be on the hub, but they are not sold separately from Lexus. If a tone ring broke on an axle and you went to Lexus, you would need to buy new axles to fix it. Maybe someone else makes new tone rings, but Lexus doesn't.

Originally Posted by Wht95scort
First off this is NOT a recall! It's a service bulliten there is a HUGE difference. As stated above certain things need to take place while recording a snapshot of the cars data. If the tech can't get it to happen then noithing can be done. Another thing you stated you had your plugs changed. Big the wrong plugs were used it will cause a cold start misfire/ rough idle condition. The plugs need to be long reach. If you feel you aren't being treated fair try another dealer.
Agreed, if this was a recall, it would be performed on all cars with the older parts, but like you say, what the bulletin is, is simply an extended warranty coverage for a specific concern. If that concern cannot be found, there is no extended warranty.

Just because your car is misfiring and/or running rough does not necessarily mean the bulletin or extended warranty applies, there are other issues beyond carbon build-up and/or blow-by that can cause an engine to run rough.

Jeff
Old 02-24-15, 04:42 AM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
1. While it's true that you don't need to have codes to potentially get extended coverage and the updated parts, that seems to be what a lot of dealers are looking for. Some of them seem to be ignoring a lot of running-rough conditions. Not sure why, but I've seen it happen with various Lexus dealerships. That said, they are going to need to find something wrong that matches the bulletin in order to perform it.

3. On the 2IS, the rear boots are not replaceable, but they are replaceable on a lot of other cars (including other Toyota and Lexus models, and the front axles on the 2IS). It's a bit sad that Lexus made them non-serviceable on the IS and a few others that use a similar designed rear axle.

4. While the ABS tone rings are on the axles on the RX300, unless you have a FWD model, then the rear tone rings would be on the hub, but they are not sold separately from Lexus. If a tone ring broke on an axle and you went to Lexus, you would need to buy new axles to fix it. Maybe someone else makes new tone rings, but Lexus doesn't.
Jeff
The key to qualify a carbon misfire bulletin is not on the misfire itself, it's on the associated data. The fuel trims need to react a specific way and there's other supporting data that's used to determine if it is or not. Like you said, it could be caused by something else like plugs.
You can tell if the car is ready to miss, there's 2 values for spark advance and how it's correcting it. A misfire car will have a much much lower advance, the correction will the (+) taking timing off too.
There's been ISs as low as 14* Crank Angle that once cleaned jumped up to the norm 24-27 CA.

That IS rear axle design is only used in IS/GS. I don't think I'll ever figure that one out....

The tone ring for an axle is available separate on all 4 axles in AWD and only front axles in FWD. The rear is like the ES on a FWD. It's built into the wheel bearing. I don't remember the last time a fwd rx came in
Old 02-24-15, 02:42 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

The key to qualify a carbon misfire bulletin is not on the misfire itself, it's on the associated data. The fuel trims need to react a specific way and there's other supporting data that's used to determine if it is or not. Like you said, it could be caused by something else like plugs.
You can tell if the car is ready to miss, there's 2 values for spark advance and how it's correcting it. A misfire car will have a much much lower advance, the correction will the (+) taking timing off too.
There's been ISs as low as 14* Crank Angle that once cleaned jumped up to the norm 24-27 CA.
Exactly, but like I said, there are a lot of dealers out there checking for codes, not seeing any and turning people away. It's not right or the way it should be, but it has definitely happened in the past. I'm hoping Lexus USA has clarified what exactly they're looking for in order to get approval since then. I'm not in the USA so obviously I can't comment on that.

That IS rear axle design is only used in IS/GS. I don't think I'll ever figure that one out....
The LS, RC, and LFA also uses the same design I believe.

The tone ring for an axle is available separate on all 4 axles in AWD and only front axles in FWD. The rear is like the ES on a FWD. It's built into the wheel bearing. I don't remember the last time a fwd rx came in
I can't remember ever seeing any modern Toyota or Lexus model that had the tone rings available separately, I just looked up all the RX models from 1999-on and none of them list any tone rings separately. Which year(s) have you seen them supply them separately on? We don't even have FWD RX's in Canada, but in southern states like California they're pretty common.

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 02-24-15 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-25-15, 09:17 AM
A1cntrler
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
shoulda pumped premium gas, our cars require premium for a reason.

they can use that against u and do the blame game, afterall, using low grade gas does make the car run rough

Why would you not use Premium as stated in the manufacturer recommendations? You just dropped some serious coin on a Lexus and you're going to save maybe $1.50 per tank of gas vs Regular unleaded?