IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Just signed up for my first track event

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-12, 07:50 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just signed up for my first track event (UPDATE: Pics and vids in post #34)

I posted this thread on the Car Chat forum, but then I realized there are some IS-specific questions I was hoping some of my friends here at the 2IS forum could answer. Mods, hopefully you won't mind, but if the cross-post is a problem, please just lock this and leave the other thread.

My car has over six years and 67K miles on it, and I've been wanting to track it since around two years and 20K... Finally happening. It's a performance driving course with eight 25-minute track sessions.

Anyone have any tips for me? Especially car maintenance tips. Should I expect my tires (only 4-5K miles on all four) to be shot by the end of this? I'm thinking I'm probably going to go there with mostly factory components as far as brakes, coolant, oil, etc go. Speaking of brakes, I think my rotors are probably within about .4mm (~15%) of needing replacement. I hear this track (Motorsport Ranch here in North Texas) isn't too hard on brakes, though. I'm also really hoping to get the F-Sport sway bars installed before I do it, too. At least the rear.

My 2IS-specific questions: Have any fellow IS350 owners tracked their cars? Anything you think I should know about? Were the factory low-dust pads able to hold up? Or should I invest in some race pads? What about brake fluid? As you can see, the brakes are what I'm most concerned about.

(It'll be the long version, ~3.1 miles)

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 12-11-12 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-22-12, 09:06 AM
prankster
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My advice: Do NOT take your daily driver to the track. The car will not feel the same again.

If you are still going, several things to do:

-Change pads for track purpose , e.g. EBC Yellow stuff (Not racing pads, it is noisy and overkill). Your factory pads, most likely, will not hold up.
-Stock brake fluid is fine. For now.
-Use current rotors if they are still good. Autozone rotors are fine.
-Torque the bolts after each session.
-Monitor tire pressure.
-Enjoy the fun!

After
-Flush brake fluid (Consider ATE Super blue or Motul 600 if you decide to comeback) b/c it will be boiled during track session.

Last edited by prankster; 10-22-12 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-22-12, 09:52 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I did autocross in mine, its my DD too.

No real tips or tricks, I'm a novice in that field. Just have fun! My tires ended up damn near melting i was running so hard though, andddd i blew a shock (back when i was dropped on springs).
Old 10-22-12, 11:08 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by prankster
My advice: Do NOT take your daily driver to the track. The car will not feel the same again.

If you are still going, several things to do:

-Change pads for track purpose , e.g. EBC Yellow stuff (Not racing pads, it is noisy and overkill). Your factory pads, most likely, will not hold up.
-Stock brake fluid is fine. For now.
-Use current rotors if they are still good. Autozone rotors are fine.
-Torque the bolts after each session.
-Monitor tire pressure.
-Enjoy the fun!

After
-Flush brake fluid (Consider ATE Super blue or Motul 600 if you decide to comeback) b/c it will be boiled during track session.
Hmmm... iiinteresting. That's the first time I've heard anyone suggest not using my regular daily driver. Incidentally, the next time I go to the track, I probably won't be taking my DD. I want to get a C7 within a year or two, but I wanted to get some experience with a less powerful and easier to tame car first.

My rotors have about .4mm left of the 3mm life, so they're technically still "good", but I worry that they might not have too much heat capacity.
Old 10-22-12, 12:11 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The two single best things you can do to enhance your ride at this point is those sway bars and track tires. I would also recommend using a front brake pad with a good bite to it that doesn't fade.

Have fun and bring your helmet!
Old 10-22-12, 12:24 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

So everyone thinks pads are a good idea, eh...? Hmmm... gonna be kinda a pain to change those out, but maybe I should. Anyone have more pad recommendations/links?

As for the helmet, I don't have one. Was planning on renting one of theirs.
Old 10-22-12, 01:53 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

I agree with the tires.

Try to get 2 sets of wheels/tires if possible....

1 set with sticky component and light weight wheels for racing. and the other for daily driving.

If you can't afford to do that... definitely get better tires. It's the single mod that can really help you when you are a beginner. It's all worthless if you can't get any traction... Tires are what touches the road: it moves the car, keep the cars on the road in corners, and what stops the car.
Old 10-22-12, 03:59 PM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use mine stock 350 brake pads they were fine, do you have after market rims? or stock?
Old 10-22-12, 11:02 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

IS350HKS, I have aftermarket rims. They're similar size to stock (.5" wider both front and rear), but they are offset 3 mm narrower up front (+48) and 19mm wider in the rear (+31). Also, do you have the low-dust pads on your car? Were you on a course that was heavy on the brakes?

As for my tires, I don't think that's going to be practical or necessary at this point. My rear tires are max performance summers (Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GTs, which are supposed to be VERY grippy in dry weather). My fronts are UHP all-seasons, but they have been giving me very good performance on the street thus far. If they cause me to understeer a bit, so be it. It's my first time out, I'm not going to be going 10/10ths. Incidentally, I've actually heard that it can be detrimental for beginners to have overly grippy tires because you don't learn as much. Plus, if my front tires lose grip a little more easily, it might also save me some brake wear (ABS will kick in sooner).
Old 10-23-12, 07:20 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Every track event I have gone to, they inspect your vehicle before...paying close attention to brake pad life and tire tread depth. If your tires are almost gone now, either they might not let you on the track or you will definitely wear them completely out after your first couple of sessions, especially the inner edges of the front tires.

For your first time out, you probably don't need anything special. Just take all loose items out of the interior, have all your windows rolled down, wear long pants and closed toe shoes, and make sure you bring sunscreen and drink plenty of water. Don't forget a GoPro either...
Old 10-23-12, 11:58 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^

Its a great time, I would suggest a smaller course for your first run but its a blast either way.
Old 10-23-12, 12:36 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

bring a few wheel chocks or something that'll stop the car from rolling.

when you bring your 2is in from a few hot laps, you'll want to avoid putting the car in park and/or engaging the parking brake. it'll be tough to do, since 1. it's instinctual to put your 2is in park when you pull in to park, and 2. your adrenaline will be working overtime from the hot-laps. however, you'll just have to find some way to remind yourself to leave your 2is in N, apply the wheel chocks, and let the discs/pads cool down so you don't end up seizing your pads to the rotors.

just don't forget to remove the wheel chocks when you go back out, or put your 2is in P after the rotors/pads cool.

other than that, i think everyone else has offered suggestions worth considering.

Last edited by projectdna; 10-23-12 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-23-12, 01:53 PM
prankster
Pole Position

My best advice for you is to drive with your current setup. Then upgrade whatever you feel necessary (should you choose to come back with the same car). Don't be the guy with a lot of "upgrades" but don't know how to drive on the track. Don't buy new tires unless safety is becoming a concern.

Track purpose brake pads are necessary. I've seen too many daily drivers with stock pads went off track (G35s, 37s, IS350s, C330s). Trust me, when that happens to you, it will ruin your day.

Another advice, there will be a lot of miatas (spec racers + enthusiasts) out there. Learn their lines. But DO NOT follow their speed, especially at the corners. Have fun!
Old 10-23-12, 01:59 PM
prankster
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
Hmmm... iiinteresting. That's the first time I've heard anyone suggest not using my regular daily driver. Incidentally, the next time I go to the track, I probably won't be taking my DD. I want to get a C7 within a year or two, but I wanted to get some experience with a less powerful and easier to tame car first.

My rotors have about .4mm left of the 3mm life, so they're technically still "good", but I worry that they might not have too much heat capacity.
If you wanna learn how to drive, get a miata (1st or 2nd gen). They are cheap. It is a momentum car and will teach you how to carry more speed through the corners. My 2 cents.

Btw, you meant C6 right? C7 is not even on sale yet.
Old 10-23-12, 02:02 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^Miata or an AP1 S2000. Both are great cars for the track and learning IMO...

Quick Reply: Just signed up for my first track event