IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Adding a 12" sub to my IS350

Old 10-26-12, 09:08 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now thats def. in my price range! $300 box from where?
Old 10-26-12, 09:52 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ms2619
I bought it from someone on the classifieds. These dont come up for sale too often so you might have a hard time finding one. I think theyre ~$400 new
Old 10-27-12, 10:08 AM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ohface
You seen my set up before but here it is again. Custom made and can get to my spare with no problem. The facing is card board with carpet wrapped on it and it fits so snug I can remove it and put it back in with no problem.It hits so hard through my ski port its unbelivable. People think i have 2 12's
Your setup looks AWESOME, and I would consider doing mine like this also. Only thing I wanted to ask is, you mentioned the facing is cardboard wrapped in carpet... Just an idea(you probably already have seen the stuff) that would be more sturdier is to go to Lowes/Home Depot, and buy a 4x8 sheet of 1/8th or 1/4 inch Luan underlayment board. Alot sturdier than cardboard and makes a great "fill panel" board.
Old 10-27-12, 12:04 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

we need more pictures of that setup!!! we can only see the face of that W7
Old 10-27-12, 01:32 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

looked....at......w7.......price.......on......crutchfield........699........for one sub..........rediculous......
Old 10-29-12, 05:25 AM
lexusis07
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vboi4life
you said it the easy.is it sound better than tapped to l and r front woofer?
bass dosent have left and right. so your just looking for the easiest access to a mono signal. now you have to decide on your part, do you want to go cheap and use an loc or spend some money and buy a sound processor.
Old 10-29-12, 05:41 AM
lexusis07
Driver

ms2619 "what do you mean by line outs are ok if im not lookig for perfect bass response? I been looking at a Alpine Type X around 1000 rms, got real good reviews and priced very well. That box is not only affordable, it looks super clean and that port no one will even know it exists but the best part is i will still have a trunk at the end of the day for other random crap".[/QUOTE]

line outs dont capture perfect bass response, they try and reproduce signal as best as they can. sound processors do the same but 100x's better. also if you ever plan on upgrading mids n highs you will need a signal processor because the locs are terrible for voice reproduction. alpine makes a solid woofer, not anything outstanding or that people will be wow'ed by (unless they have never heard bass before, then any sub will make them **** a brick) but if thats what you like its your car. im not a sales person but you will probably end up blowing your sub at some point or another, and not because your playing to loud or to much power. theres tons of factors that contribute to the failure of a woofer, most common is signal clipping. but if you do blow your woofer an alpine, jl , rockford, ect will be very expensive to get repaired or re-coned. most all mainstream brands do not sell diy re-cone kits like sundown or Fi audio.
Old 10-29-12, 08:49 AM
ms2619
Lead Lap

so whats a good sound processor? and your suggestion of a sub that won't break the bank. JL W7 is beast but the price is even more beastly...like lil4cyl stated above $700...ridiculous and with the processor will that avoid sound clipping?
Old 10-29-12, 11:19 AM
lexusis07
Driver

i use audio control, great product at a great price.
Amazon Amazon
jls the worst sub to own once it blows lol. sooooo expensive to get fixed. The box you linked me to is 1.5 cubes. they say in the description you can request bigger. id request 2 cubes and tune to 35 hz. heres a link to a woofer that is an all around great sub, the rated 600 rms is very very very conservative. easily could be run at 3-4 hundred watts rms with out seeing any kind of issue. also there great sq when run closer to recommended power such as 600-1000 watts. easy on the bank to. there about $200 new and re-cone kits are $40. http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com/products/sundown-audio-sa-12-600w-sa-series.html clipping is when your amplifier is pushed over its maximum output, so many factors in why an amp will clip. and its something that varies depending on current thats available from your battery and alt, the way that the gain is set on the amp causes clipping as well. only way to see clipping is with an o-scope, it measures the wave lengths and shows clipping. but there expensive and hardly anyone with a small system would ever bother. best way to get the least amount of clipping is to turn all gains including the head unit eq to 0 and turn the volume to 55 (my personal preference for me) and turn the gains up till you hear audible distortion and back off from there.
Old 10-29-12, 12:18 PM
BigWiLL345
Driver

Originally Posted by bob4256
I bought it from someone on the classifieds. These dont come up for sale too often so you might have a hard time finding one. I think theyre ~$400 new
i bought mine new from http://mysosinc.com/box_lex_IS.html
Old 10-29-12, 05:34 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

I have no idea wth kind of sub that is lol I rather get the P3 because I can get it $150 and also rated at 600 rms and plus my last one was covered under warranty from a local shop if it blew. Also how much more bigger would the box be if it was 2 cubic ft rather then 1.5 because i want the box flush and not poking out any farther then the pic from the ad.
Old 10-29-12, 06:33 PM
ohface
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will take some good pictures this weekend. I had and an Audison Bit One and after a few months decided to try MS8. Im glad i did that cause that thing is a beast. That w7 was 1k when i bought it a yr or so ago. If you have not heard one do so cause 700 is a freaking steal. I also have morel elate 3 ways in the front and morels in the rear.
Old 10-29-12, 11:13 PM
ms2619
Lead Lap

wish you were local so i could hear the whole setup lol
Old 10-30-12, 05:54 AM
lexusis07
Driver

I have no idea wth kind of sub that is lol I rather get the P3 because I can get it $150 and also rated at 600 rms and plus my last one was covered under warranty from a local shop if it blew. Also how much more bigger would the box be if it was 2 cubic ft rather then 1.5 because i want the box flush and not poking out any farther then the pic from the ad.

just based on the look of the box i feel like theres more space behind it thats not taken up, .5 cube is small like maybe 2 inchs deeper and like an inch wider. i can understand why you dont want to try out a brand that not very many people use. but i can tell you from my experience that car audio shops love to suck you in with that feel good warrantee then a year later when something happens to it the guy who was ur best buddy is telling you that the warrantee dosen't cover "improper instillation" but then agin it is your build. if you have any questions during installing shoot me a pm. good luck man hope it turns out for ya.
Old 10-30-12, 07:06 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone bring up the Zenclosure box from eBay? About $180 shipped, you pick hole size and quantity (1 or 2, square or circle, diameter of hole) and also choose carpet color to finish the box in. I have this and it does the job and fits very well. Only reason I'd ever get rid of it is if i go complete custom in the trunk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding a 12" sub to my IS350