Shattered Moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 01:50 AM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Shattered Moonroof

Hi All,

A rock fell from a dump truck shattered my moon roof on my 2008 IS250. Can you help me on which course of actions I should take? Or any inputs from other folk experiences would be great!
I took a picture of the dump truck, but couldn't get the license plate #.

Is replacing the moon roof glass a DIY? since my deductible is $500.

Should I get the moon roof glass from parts lot?

A quick search resulted in various moon roof problems, not a lot on how to replace moon roof glass.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-16-12, 05:51 AM
fatjoez
Rookie

Hey buddy

Claim it through insurance.
The glass panel alone is $440 discounted from Sewell parts
Labour and additional parts.

This is one headache you do not want, go straight to insurance.
Claims like this you're best to go to insurance, because you're not at fault so it won't affect your premiums really,
more importantly, this is what you pay insurance for.

In my case I was At-Fault & curbed my sideskirt + have a $500 deductable.
So I'm looking for a cheap used side skirt.

I'd never DIY a broken sunroof though
Old 10-16-12, 07:14 AM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Did the truck have a company name? If it did I would call them first. Be calm and polite, explain everything and see what they say. They should take care of it.
Old 10-16-12, 07:32 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,292 Posts

About three month's back, I had a cement truck throw a rock at the windshield of my truck from the chute on the back of the truck. I had license plate number, truck number, time of day and location. I called the company and sent them an email, they ignored me. I then furnished the info to my insurance company. They told them to go pound sand. I ended up replacing the windshield with the broken glass coverage I had on my insurance.

And, because I'm still pissed at these people, the name is Arizona Materials and their web site is here:

http://www.arizonamaterials.com

As a favor to me, stay away from those guys.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 10-16-12 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-16-12, 08:16 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

These truck hauling companies have gotten smart, in TX they have a sign on the back saying if you don't stay back 200 ft they are not responsible for window breakage. I don't think it relieves them the duty to cover and secure their loads but it shows they want to fight claims against broken windshields. Just having the trucking company won't do you any good, you can't prove their truck was the issue. Your best course of action is to go through the insurance company, replacing a moon roof is NOT a DIY project, you have issues of water sealing, motors, etc. I would not be surprised if this is not a $1,500-$2,000 charge to get it all squared away. This is why we have insurance.

Originally Posted by jgr7
Did the truck have a company name? If it did I would call them first. Be calm and polite, explain everything and see what they say. They should take care of it.
Not likely they will take care of it. Some guy calls the trucking company and says "You broke my moonroof" but can't identify the truck number. Company says "Sorry, not our truck". It's a 'he said, she said' argument. You lose.

Last edited by Evitzee; 10-16-12 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-16-12, 09:24 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Save the hassle, file an insurance claim, that is what insurance is for. It should not raise your rates or affect it since its a non-collision claim(depends on your insurance company). If it does raise your rates, do it out of pocket. Good Luck.
Old 10-16-12, 09:32 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
Sorry, but I think this \/ is more likely than this /\...

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
About three month's back, I had a cement truck throw a rock at the windshield of my truck from the chute on the back of the truck. I had license plate number, truck number, time of day and location. I called the company and sent them an email, they ignored me. I then furnished the info to my insurance company. They told them to go pound sand. I ended up replacing the windshield with the broken glass coverage I had on my insurance.

And, because I'm still pissed at these people, the name is Arizona Materials and their web site is here:

http://www.arizonamaterials.com

As a favor to me, stay away from those guys.

Lou
Old 10-16-12, 09:50 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd rather have a rock shatter my moonroof than put a nice size dent on my roof...could be worse....
Old 10-16-12, 10:06 AM
edwinjaeho
Driver School Candidate

I've had an acorn fall on my moonroof during a very cold night, shattered it, claimed insurance since the tree didnt leave any information ...
Old 10-16-12, 10:17 AM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just save yourself the time and Frustration and go with your insurance company. Most of the time those rock truck companies arn't responsable for things like that at least out of all the rock chips my windshield has had.
Old 10-16-12, 12:39 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Dude, I bet you were in shock when that happened. But honestly you should have followed that truck until you got their dispatch on the phone and got ahold of someone at the company and told them what happened. You have the burden of proof to prove that it was a rock from their truck that caused the condition, but if the truck had a full load...that shouldn't of been too difficult. The truck's compaines' insurance would have had to pay for the repairs, but now it sounds like you cannot tell from your picture what company it was or any additional details. Sorry man. Either you purchase replacement glass yourself, or get insurance to pay for it (+ your deductable).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-07-08-09-...2c3896&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-10-LEXUS-...e27e47&vxp=mtr
Old 10-16-12, 03:34 PM
speed_Demo
Pole Position

Thanks everyone for the inputs.

I was at a stop light, and the truck was making a turn. Luckily no one was injured in the vehicle because the sunroof was covered inside.

I check with my local dealer, the sunroof part is $650, and labor is $130. $780 total.

I'm more surprise the sunroof cost almost as much as the windshield.

for the ebay link!!
Old 10-16-12, 04:36 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Wish you luck bro!
Old 10-16-12, 08:15 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

I had a large c clamp fall off of a plumbing truck and break the grill of my old pick up, got the name of the company and phone number called and showed pictures to them and they paid for my new grill. Won't hurt to make a phone call. The longer you wait the harder it is to make the connection.
Old 10-16-12, 09:38 PM
La24
Driver School Candidate

Oh that sucks bro, yeah I would just call your insurance company. Last week a dump trunk drop a big rock on the highway and I had run over it because there was a car next to me. I had that oh ***** feeling when i hit it, good thing I'm not lowered yet. Still enjoying that nice comfortable stock ride for now.

Quick Reply: Shattered Moonroof