3 Day Old FORGESTAR wheel BENT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-12, 10:32 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Dang definitely looks like you hit something
yeah I forgot to mention that so it will be hard to try to get them to cover this.
OP has anyone else driven your car since you got these?
Old 10-14-12, 10:36 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
yeah I forgot to mention that so it will be hard to try to get them to cover this.
OP has anyone else driven your car since you got these?
no just me
i would have known, im very cautious with my drivinging and i know where all the pot holes are (been living in same city for almost all my life)
could i have hit a small pot hole.. sure but it shouldnt have caused this damage
Old 10-14-12, 10:39 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

man that blows I was gonna say if anyone else has driven your car hold them responsible lol
Old 10-14-12, 10:48 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks pretty bad, sorry to see that. cant imagine a small pot hole doing a major bend like that though unless those wheels are poor quality. but from what i heard forgestars are supposed to be pretty good...
Old 10-14-12, 10:52 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Really sorry to see. When you texted me that pic I was sad.
Old 10-14-12, 11:00 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I heard that Forgestar are very prone to cracking and bending on BMW forums. Not sure if that is true.
Old 10-14-12, 11:09 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch! I've had my Forgestars for exactly 2 years now and have hit some ugly potholes, uneven pavements, ran over freeway debris and even drove down the street on a popped tired. I have the save specs as you 19x8.5 225/35/19 up front and luckily, my wheels are still running strong. And I have the Forgestar F05s, so same design I think, but mine has more lippage and not forged.

So if yours bent like that, you must have hit something big. Or if you didn't hit anything, could it be vandalism or a wheel-jacking go wrong?
Old 10-14-12, 11:12 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

hmmm I googled forgestar wheels bend and theres kinda mix reviews about it http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=of...w=1280&bih=709
Old 10-14-12, 11:16 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by don
Ouch! I've had my Forgestars for exactly 2 years now and have hit some ugly potholes, uneven pavements, ran over freeway debris and even drove down the street on a popped tired. I have the save specs as you 19x8.5 225/35/19 up front and luckily, my wheels are still running strong.
If they stood up to bay area roads they are definitely strong wheels

And I have the Forgestar F05s, so same design I think, but mine has more lippage and not forged.

So if yours bent like that, you must have hit something big. Or if you didn't hit anything, could it be vandalism or a wheel-jacking go wrong?
I don't think any of the forgestar rims are forged. (According to the Forgestar website they are "flow formed").
Old 10-14-12, 11:28 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they stood up to bay area roads they are definitely strong wheels

I don't think any of the forgestar rims are forged. (According to the Forgestar website they are "flow formed").
101 from SJ to SF for work.. and to Reno once, ran over a tire lol.

FS says they are "Rotary Forged Flow Formed." Whatever that means.
Old 10-14-12, 11:33 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by don
101 from SJ to SF for work.. and to Reno once, ran over a tire lol.
Yup ... I drive 101 everyday ... thats how my FiveAxis got bent. Ran through one too many potholes (And I ran over quite a few lol)

FS says they are "Rotary Forged Flow Formed." Whatever that means.
According to Forgestar:
This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel. During Flow Forming, the pressure applied to the cast rim actually changes its mechanical properties, so its strength and impact values become similar to those of a forged rim. That translates to up to 15% less weight when compared to a standard cast wheel. The resulting grain structure within the alloy of the wheel is linear, flowing in a single direction.

This grain structure pattern, combined with the exceptional quality of casting required for the process, gives the rim area of the wheel huge mechanical strength, and elongation. As a result of these mechanical characteristics, Forgestar is able to reduce the thickness of the rim area resulting in reduced weight, without compromising strength and resistance to impact.
Its a cast wheel - Not forged.

OP: you shouldn't have any problem fixing it.
Old 10-14-12, 11:38 PM
Quik208
Lead Lap

I would have bet that you would have hit something pretty hard for that to happen. Hopefully it wasn't just a small pot hole or anything like that.
Old 10-14-12, 11:41 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Yup ... I drive 101 everyday ... thats how my FiveAxis got bent. Ran through one too many potholes (And I ran over quite a few lol)

According to Forgestar:

Its a cast wheel - Not forged.

OP: you shouldn't have any problem fixing it.
man hopefully OP just assumed they were forged bc of the name "Forge"star and not the Vendor telling him they were forged
OP definitely have a tireshop take the tire off and inspect the rest of the wheel
Old 10-14-12, 11:54 PM
peyman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
man hopefully OP just assumed they were forged bc of the name "Forge"star and not the Vendor telling him they were forged
OP definitely have a tireshop take the tire off and inspect the rest of the wheel
i did assume due to the brand name having FORGE in it lol
Old 10-15-12, 12:01 AM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sucks to see that. Either find out how much to fix, which should be pretty easy. Or buy one new wheel if you have to.

Quick Reply: 3 Day Old FORGESTAR wheel BENT!