Steering Feel Issue - 08 IS350

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-12, 08:38 AM
snaggle
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering Feel Issue - 08 IS350

Whats up CL!

So Ive had this "problem" for a while now, well pretty much since I bought my car. Always loved everything about the IS350, except this steering problem.

Anyways, so basically, Im almost certain this is normal, as I believe I have heard complaints in the past to an issue very similar to this, but just thought id double check:

So when driving, the steering wheel on many occasions will start to feel likes it is forcing you to turn slightly when driving on uneven roads, or any kind of road imperfections. I am pretty sure this is related to the electronic steering (the one thing I really wish the IS never had), but recently this has REALLY been annoying me, and sometimes it could be potentially dangerous. Am I the only one who gets this? Where the steering wheel just forces itself to turn and you have to resist with it to keep it straight or in the direction you intend it to be? Note, this happens for like 1 second then it loosens back up, and it always happens while turning or even driving straight on uneven or imperfect roads....

This is really the ONLY complaint I have for the IS350, the steering feel... I wish it was more like the BMW 335i for example...

Ive got the 08 IS350, and Im pretty sure its NOT the sport package. (if you dont have the aluminum foot pedals, its not the sport package right? I also don't have memory seats). Maybe it has to do with the steering damping? Could this problem even be fixed?

Also NOTE: I just recently did a wheel alignment and regularly do one, so it should have nothing to do with this...

Last edited by snaggle; 10-03-12 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mp7 (02-03-21)
Old 10-03-12, 09:21 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When you have a proper alignment, the car will naturally follow the crown on the road.

Originally Posted by Sango
With low profile tires, the higher bigger the wheel, the more it will follow the crown and ruts - less tirewall and it is stiffer tire wall however you do have the advantages that it feels good and response is there. Does it on my IS250 RWD with 18" and also did that on the IS250 AWD with 17".

I wouldn't worry about it, it's normal. When I had a 99 Camry Solara which had 16" tires, its less because of the softer tire wall.

However I can say that on a stretch of freeway when I go on my way home, in the middle lane, there is a significant rut (they should repave that area), that any vehicle regardless of wheel size , the car would follow it because its worn.
Old 10-03-12, 11:01 AM
panda327
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had this exact same issue and i completely know what you are feeling

Its not as apparent now but tire pressure makes alot of difference
Old 10-03-12, 11:25 AM
snaggle
Driver

Originally Posted by panda327
i had this exact same issue and i completely know what you are feeling

Its not as apparent now but tire pressure makes alot of difference
Wow, glad to see im not the only one!

I've tried different types of tire pressure too, it really did not change anything.

I also have a BMW 335i, and this problem NEVER happens, not even close, the steering is always perfect and also more engaging. True the tires are lower profile at 30 instead of 40, but that only makes the difference in road feel and response, still a different case from the steering.

Again, I think the problem is due to electric steering rather than hydraulic. It could also be that in addition with other things...
Old 10-03-12, 12:30 PM
cchase231
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've experienced this as well. Sometimes it feels like it has a mind of its own. It's is not predictable, seems to happen different speeds, pulls different ways, and to different degrees at different times. I have also noticed it under breaking, sometimes the car wants to pull off the road or into oncoming traffic.
Old 10-03-12, 01:19 PM
snaggle
Driver

Originally Posted by cchase231
I've experienced this as well. Sometimes it feels like it has a mind of its own. It's is not predictable, seems to happen different speeds, pulls different ways, and to different degrees at different times. I have also noticed it under breaking, sometimes the car wants to pull off the road or into oncoming traffic.
Agreed 100%. As for the braking part too, happens to me a lot!

Last edited by snaggle; 10-03-12 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-03-12, 01:53 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it maybe something to do with the bushings as well as the stock ones deflect too much under braking causing the alignment (the toe) to be out during braking. It could be doing that on the worn crown and ruts too.

Changing the bushings with these would probably be the solution.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...eo-inside.html
Old 03-01-14, 05:08 AM
vshopping
Driver School Candidate

I finally found out what is causing this feeling of my steering being in a 'rut' and having to over compensate the steering. I went to the dealer because I could not take it anymore and the lead engineer came to listen to my issue with the car and immediately he knew that it was the Power steering gear assembly. I have a GS 350 2009 and the engineer said that this is a known issue and they have seen this on many IS models. So for everyone, like me, that thought it was the road, misalignment, low tire pressure, low profile tires, IT'S NOT!!! It is a known issue that requires a replacement part (on my car), part # 44200-30880. Hope this helps!!!
Old 03-01-14, 12:16 PM
JETLEX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

vshopping, do you mind telling us what dealer was able to do this for you?

TIA!
Old 03-01-14, 05:52 PM
ISguy20
Driver School Candidate

Snaggle,

I have had the same issue since I bought my 2007 IS 250. The first week after a tire rotation is when the wheel seems to loosen up...so that may help. And to reiterate what was said above, a higher tire pressure always helps. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Thanks for raising the question
Old 07-23-14, 06:59 PM
DavidT
Driver School Candidate

So I have a 2011 IS350c. Apparently Lexus has not fixed the problem. Today I had the front end aligned because that was the only recommendation the Lexus dealer had. The toe was out and the alignment did help a little. But clearly this seems to be a horrible characteristic of these cars. Don't know how Lexus is allowing one of their best sellers to drive like crap. What gives Lexus ????
Old 12-23-15, 02:24 PM
garaml7111
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering

Hi,
Im have steering loose problem for few months. I went to 5 times to dealership and went to 3 private auto shop.
dealership keep saying is normal. private shop told me there is something wrong with the steering.
after you changed the gear assembly is your car is fine now?
since dealer is not going to fix my car I have to take it to private shop to fix it.
please please let me know. if your car is normal now.
thank you.

Originally Posted by vshopping
I finally found out what is causing this feeling of my steering being in a 'rut' and having to over compensate the steering. I went to the dealer because I could not take it anymore and the lead engineer came to listen to my issue with the car and immediately he knew that it was the Power steering gear assembly. I have a GS 350 2009 and the engineer said that this is a known issue and they have seen this on many IS models. So for everyone, like me, that thought it was the road, misalignment, low tire pressure, low profile tires, IT'S NOT!!! It is a known issue that requires a replacement part (on my car), part # 44200-30880. Hope this helps!!!
Old 02-05-17, 01:13 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Steering and suspension sucks for Toyota/Lexus
Old 02-03-21, 10:08 AM
fq88
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, so, A little update on my Is, after the 08 Isf ecu update my steering wheel now vibrates at 40mph and up. It is very minor but you can feel the vibration. Any idea what it could be?
Old 02-03-21, 01:30 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,477 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by fq88
Hey guys, so, A little update on my Is, after the 08 Isf ecu update my steering wheel now vibrates at 40mph and up. It is very minor but you can feel the vibration. Any idea what it could be?
This may not be the best thread to get this answer, but I highly doubt the EPS ECU caused an issue that wasn't there already. More likely is that this unit is responding to input from the front end and you have a tire/wheel issue to address.

Do the usual suspects;
Air pressure
Balance
Check for tire runout and wheel trueness which is more prevalent/a greater issue on aftermarket wheels as they usually bend easier than OEM when faced with potholes..

I'd add some details to your post and place it in a ISF EPS ECU thread.

Quick Reply: Steering Feel Issue - 08 IS350