IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

HTR ZIII vs Super Sport tires

Old 04-06-14, 09:42 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Default HTR ZIII vs Super Sport tires

When I first bought my is350, it came with new sumitomo HTR ZIII tires. I absolutely loved it. It was better then my friends stock turanzas. The only downfall was that I could not catch any traction off the line. I had to baby it and moderately floor the gas pedal for the tires to hook. Well, it was time for a new set and I was in the market. I decided to give the Michelin Super Sport a try. It was a grand total of $1,100 US currency. I figure that if I spent this much and these tires did not improved alot better over the HTRs, I will never believe another hyped up review and never spend any more then I need to over tires. Right off the line, I immediately noticed how quiet they were and how quick my IS responded to the gas pedal. I figured the tires were new and that most tires would be like this. Well, its now over 1.8k miles since I had them and I must say, these tires are AMAZING. I did a street test to see how it can hook up from a dig and it grab the tarmac without any tire screech. It also took off the line so fast that it made me feel like I was driving my sti at a redline launch. Cornering is also improved. Infact, I felt like I can really push the limits of my car with these tires and still fell in control. Now I understand why these are the "legendary" tires people claim them to be and why super high end cars have them equipped oem. Will I recommend? Defintely. Will I buy again? YES! Will I ever buy HTR ZIII again? Ofcourse! Those tires were cheaper and still handled great! But for the those who wants the MOST performance out of the tires, the Super Sport will not disappoint. For those who wants performance but on a budget the HTRs will NOT dissapoint.
Old 04-06-14, 09:59 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While yes, the PSS are probably the best street tires, I have come to the conclusion that HTR ZIII are horrible tires. They are a big improvement over the stock tires, but they are still horrible tires. I was constantly losing traction from a dig as well as hard corners when I had the HTR; I don't understand how there are good reviews on them.

If you want performance but on a budget, I would advise you to try the hankooks evo v12
Old 04-07-14, 06:38 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HTR ZIII performed better than V12 from TireRack's comparison/review.
Old 04-07-14, 11:25 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Originally Posted by edgeucated
While yes, the PSS are probably the best street tires, I have come to the conclusion that HTR ZIII are horrible tires. They are a big improvement over the stock tires, but they are still horrible tires. I was constantly losing traction from a dig as well as hard corners when I had the HTR; I don't understand how there are good reviews on them.

If you want performance but on a budget, I would advise you to try the hankooks evo v12
Hmmmm....interesting. I will try the hankook when my michelin tires needs replacement. Just out of curiosity, had you tried the evo v12 and the pilot super sports? How much differ does the two do in comparison?
Old 04-07-14, 01:13 PM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't even compare the HTR ZIII or V12 to the PSS. I had the V12's and switched to the PSS and they are so much better. The V12's would never warm up or get soft and chunked on me big time when I really pushed them. The PSS got better and better as you pushed them harder which was the opposite of the V12's. The cheaper "Max Traction" tires are fine if you just drive around or do light canyon driving but anything beyond that get a better tire like the PSS. Here are my V12's after a few track days. PSS's wore great on the track.
Attached Thumbnails HTR ZIII vs Super Sport tires-20130808_080736_resized.jpg  
Old 04-07-14, 01:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

PSS are the best street tires, but you can get about 90% of the performance for 66% of the price with Continental DW or Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Positions
Old 04-07-14, 01:48 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by reyoasian
HTR ZIII performed better than V12 from TireRack's comparison/review.
Yea i noticed that too, but the tire survey on Tirerack has v12 ahead of the HTR ZIII. I bet there are many reviews with different results for each tire, but its just my opinion that the hankooks are superior.

Originally Posted by idoke1
Hmmmm....interesting. I will try the hankook when my michelin tires needs replacement. Just out of curiosity, had you tried the evo v12 and the pilot super sports? How much differ does the two do in comparison?
I'm currently on the v12 and loving them for the bargain that they are.

I had PSS on my aftermarket LC818. However, I sold the rims after only a week of driving because I didn't like the rim color; so I never really had a chance to push the PSS and to become acquainted with them.

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
PSS are the best street tires, but you can get about 90% of the performance for 66% of the price with Continental DW or Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Positions
I agree, there are many cheaper alternatives to PSS that give almost the same performance. HTR ZIII is not one of them IMO lol

Last edited by edgeucated; 04-07-14 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-07-14, 02:03 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
Yea i noticed that too, but the tire survey on Tirerack has v12 ahead of the HTR ZIII. I bet there are many reviews with different results for each tire, but its just my opinion that the hankooks are superior.
Everything is going to have mixed reviews...I almost got the V12 til met quite a few # of people said they easily bubble...so I got the HTR Z III and I'm not experiencing any loss of traction except when the ground is very "sandy"

OP - PSS is on a complete different level from V12/HTRZ3...so is the price point
Old 04-07-14, 03:47 PM
idoke1
Instructor

Originally Posted by reyoasian
OP - PSS is on a complete different level from V12/HTRZ3...so is the price point
Although they are refer to as max performance tires, I agree that the PSS are in a different league.
Old 04-07-14, 05:00 PM
bruins678
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long does Michelin typically sell a particular tire? These Super Sports are becoming legendary and I'm wondering how long they're going to be sold before Michelin comes out with a newer model (that may or may not be better).
Old 04-08-14, 08:36 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The life of any particular tire model is roughly the same as the life of a particular car model, 4-6 years or so. The PSS was relased in 2010 (I think) so Michelin could release a new version any time. Given Michelin's reputation, and the fact that the PSS appears on several high performance exotics I wouldn't expect them to release something that performs worse for the next go-around.

I personally wish they would release something even higher performance in the Extreme Summer category to compete with the likes of the Dunlop Direzza ZII, BFGoodrich g-Force Rival, etc.
Old 04-08-14, 11:27 AM
idoke1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I heard mixed reviews on the continental dw and I heard great reviews on the bridgestone potenza s04. Does anyone have either tires and want to comment on the tires?
Old 04-09-14, 05:14 AM
balanced
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Michelin PSS on my IS350. I went the with the Nitto INVO (all stock sizes) I've been very impressed. I live in Charlotte so winter isnt too bad, but the Nittos were definately better in the cold weather. summer seems pretty similar... maybe 95% of the PSS!

I know some people don't like the unique tread pattern, but I do.