IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

New Lexus owner - 06 IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-12, 09:34 PM
ls1muscle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Lexus owner - 06 IS 350

Just purchased my first Lexus. It's an 06 IS 350. This car is very fun to drive! My other car is a 470 hp V8, but this is still pretty quick and oh so smooth/quiet/comfortable. I got around 28 mpg on the highway driving back home, so that's pretty decent for a 306 hp V6. I'm very satisfied with the way the car feels and drives and handles.

I just put some Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on to replace whatever crap tires the previous owner had on before. They perform very well, tons of grip. Next up will be the F-Sport rear sway bar to reduce body roll and some new front brakes. I'm thinking about the StopTech Street Performance pads. I'm not too concerned about brake dust and want a little more stopping power. The windshield molding trim needs to be replaced. There's an annoying little wind noise on the highway from it.

One of the head lights is very clear on the inside and outside, the other one is clear on the outside but it's darker or tinted on the inside. I was looking through the vehicle history report and there's a "perform headlamp restoration procedure". I'm not sure what that entails but is there a way to make the inside of the head light more clear? The problem isn't on the outside. It's not the typical fogging/yellow you see on some cars. Can you take apart the head light or am I going to have to just buy a new one? It kinda looks like one head light is brand new and the other one has been darkened by the sun for 6 years.
Old 09-27-12, 09:37 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

welcome to the club man I recommend plastx headlight restoration kit. You can pick it up at a autozone advance auto or walmart. Theres a DIY guide in the auto detailing section here juse use the search function. Happy Modding.
Old 09-27-12, 10:25 PM
Wasabicrkr
Driver School Candidate

Unless you're adverse to a lower ride, I'd recommend springs over the sway bar. The difference was night and day when I installed my Eibach Pro Kit. The original "sport" suspension felt heavy with pronounced understeer (Thanks, VSD). After I installed the Eibachs the car felt lighter and the handling much more balanced. By far the best mod I've done. I chose the Eibachs because I wasn't looking to slam my car and wanted a nice balance between ride quality and performance.
Old 09-27-12, 10:54 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your ride.. It's nice to see lots of new members joining.
Old 09-27-12, 10:58 PM
Adam350is
Pole Position

Welcome to the club! what is your other vehicle you mentioned?

Hope you enjoy it. I sure love mine!
Old 09-27-12, 11:56 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

I disagree with the person who recommend lowering your car before you install the sway bar.

The F-sport sway bars by far are the most impactful modification you can do to your car. The handling difference is night and day with the F-sport sway bars. They'll pretty much eliminate body roll by a good 75% (this is subjective and a number I pulled out of my ***, but that's what it feels like).

Edit: Obviously you can do both if you want, but do the F-sport sway bars first.
Old 09-28-12, 12:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Welcome to CL!
Old 09-28-12, 03:21 AM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice! How about some pics of the IS & LS1 (f-body? GTO? C5 vette?)
Old 09-28-12, 04:30 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the club....you got you a nice purchase, maybe you will miss some of the old power but will love the new luxury...

Post some pix
Old 09-28-12, 05:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1muscle
Just purchased my first Lexus. It's an 06 IS 350. This car is very fun to drive! My other car is a 470 hp V8, but this is still pretty quick and oh so smooth/quiet/comfortable. I got around 28 mpg on the highway driving back home, so that's pretty decent for a 306 hp V6. I'm very satisfied with the way the car feels and drives and handles.

I just put some Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on to replace whatever crap tires the previous owner had on before. They perform very well, tons of grip. Next up will be the F-Sport rear sway bar to reduce body roll and some new front brakes. I'm thinking about the StopTech Street Performance pads. I'm not too concerned about brake dust and want a little more stopping power. .

Congrats on the purchase and welcome!

If you want to stop shorter though the only way is to upgrade your tires (which you already have done)

"Better" or bigger brakes won't stop the car any shorter.... so unless you use the car on a race track you won't see any functional benefit (though they'll likely "feel" different)

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do. Once ABS is engaged (which your stock brakes can do just fine) any more "stopping power" is entirely wasted as the tire can not make use of it.
Old 09-28-12, 08:02 AM
Wasabicrkr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmvp29
I disagree with the person who recommend lowering your car before you install the sway bar.

The F-sport sway bars by far are the most impactful modification you can do to your car. The handling difference is night and day with the F-sport sway bars. They'll pretty much eliminate body roll by a good 75% (this is subjective and a number I pulled out of my ***, but that's what it feels like).

Edit: Obviously you can do both if you want, but do the F-sport sway bars first.
Without supporting facts, this is a purely rhetorical discussion. Here's my reasoning: sway bars increase roll stiffness but do not affect weight transfer, whereas lowering the center of gravity has a direct effect on dynamic load distribution. Not only will springs improve handling, but braking and acceleration as well. Both springs and sway bars affect the stiffness of the suspension and can be used to adjust the balance between understeer versus oversteer.

It would be interesting to see lap times produced using two identical cars (or one car, reconfigured) wherein one car has F-Sport springs and the other the F-Sport sway bars. I'm not aware of said real-world comparison however. It seems people have been happy with both springs and sway bars and which is better may be a matter of opinion and personal taste anyway.
Old 09-28-12, 09:49 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

To answer your original question, yes you can take apart the headlights and I THINK you can polish out the darkness/fade. If you can't, I would suggest blackhousing them while you have them apart. It would make the difference between the two lights hardly noticeable. Or, you could paint the housings gunmetal if you have a light-colored IS.

For anyone doing the headlight restoration, keep in mind that when you wetsand the headlight, you may be removing the protective layer of film that prevents UV rays from damaging the inside of the headlight. We wetsanded my Accord and my cousin's RSX headlights about 2 years ago, then polished them up, and they looked brand new. He didn't put any sealant or wax on his, but I reapplied wax and sealant on mine once a year. Mine looked perfectly fine while his have this nasty yellow film on the inside of the lenses.
Old 09-28-12, 08:38 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

From a fellow '06 350 owner...welcome! Since I have StopTech Street pads I can tell you that if you do not care about the dust the regular OEM pads (not the low dust ones) will be perfect for you. They have that great initial "bite" that gives you stopping confidence...unlike the "Street" pads. I found out the hard way... oh well. If I had my way I would get Axxis Ultimates though; but they seem to be unavailable in the states. Boo!

Search often, and enjoy your stay!
Old 09-29-12, 11:06 AM
ls1muscle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
welcome to the club man I recommend plastx headlight restoration kit. You can pick it up at a autozone advance auto or walmart. Theres a DIY guide in the auto detailing section here juse use the search function. Happy Modding.
I already tried something similar to that and it didn't work. The problem is on the inside of the head light.

Originally Posted by Wasabicrkr
Unless you're adverse to a lower ride, I'd recommend springs over the sway bar. The difference was night and day when I installed my Eibach Pro Kit. The original "sport" suspension felt heavy with pronounced understeer (Thanks, VSD). After I installed the Eibachs the car felt lighter and the handling much more balanced. By far the best mod I've done. I chose the Eibachs because I wasn't looking to slam my car and wanted a nice balance between ride quality and performance.
I don't want to lower it, but thanks for your input.

Originally Posted by Adam350is
Welcome to the club! what is your other vehicle you mentioned?

Hope you enjoy it. I sure love mine!
99 Camaro SS.

Originally Posted by sleepy415
Nice! How about some pics of the IS & LS1 (f-body? GTO? C5 vette?)
I'll have to get some up.

Originally Posted by TheRyanGS
Welcome to the club....you got you a nice purchase, maybe you will miss some of the old power but will love the new luxury...

Post some pix
Definitely loving the luxury.

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Congrats on the purchase and welcome!

If you want to stop shorter though the only way is to upgrade your tires (which you already have done)

"Better" or bigger brakes won't stop the car any shorter.... so unless you use the car on a race track you won't see any functional benefit (though they'll likely "feel" different)

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do. Once ABS is engaged (which your stock brakes can do just fine) any more "stopping power" is entirely wasted as the tire can not make use of it.
I don't want to argue about that in this thread.

Originally Posted by sm1ke
To answer your original question, yes you can take apart the headlights and I THINK you can polish out the darkness/fade. If you can't, I would suggest blackhousing them while you have them apart. It would make the difference between the two lights hardly noticeable. Or, you could paint the housings gunmetal if you have a light-colored IS.

For anyone doing the headlight restoration, keep in mind that when you wetsand the headlight, you may be removing the protective layer of film that prevents UV rays from damaging the inside of the headlight. We wetsanded my Accord and my cousin's RSX headlights about 2 years ago, then polished them up, and they looked brand new. He didn't put any sealant or wax on his, but I reapplied wax and sealant on mine once a year. Mine looked perfectly fine while his have this nasty yellow film on the inside of the lenses.
Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Gville350
From a fellow '06 350 owner...welcome! Since I have StopTech Street pads I can tell you that if you do not care about the dust the regular OEM pads (not the low dust ones) will be perfect for you. They have that great initial "bite" that gives you stopping confidence...unlike the "Street" pads. I found out the hard way... oh well. If I had my way I would get Axxis Ultimates though; but they seem to be unavailable in the states. Boo!

Search often, and enjoy your stay!
Awesome, that's good to know.

Thanks guys
Old 09-29-12, 01:46 PM
jbjones85
Lexus Test Driver

congrats on the purchase. Lets see some picts when you get them.

Quick Reply: New Lexus owner - 06 IS 350