Cuts on steering wheel *brand new car*

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 10:09 AM
Nilism
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Cuts on steering wheel *brand new car* RESOLVED

Hey Guys,
I finally got my new Lexus IS350. It's very nice indeed. Obsidian black with a light ECRU interior. It looks amazing and the inside is very light and happy.

When I picked it up from the dealership on Friday I noticed there was a blood stain on the sunroof visor... I pointed that out to the salesperson. They kinda mumbled something about getting that fixed.

When I drove away though is when I noticed CUTS on the steering wheel leather. Kind looks like an x-acto knife skipped across it. The cuts are small but they penetrate through the coating on the leather into the under material, which will result in peeling etc later I am sure. They also are exactly where I like to hold the wheel and are extremely uncomfortable. Sorta like holding onto a thorn. I took pictures and emailed the dealership the second I got home.

Over all not too pleased with the quality of their 'detailing'. Blood, boot scuffs on the inner door arch, cuts in the steering wheel leather. WTF.

Anyone have some advice about what to do about this? I've already emailed and documented. Currently the dealer has been silent.

Last edited by Nilism; 09-18-12 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 10:51 AM
ChrISF
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

return the car or demand them to replace it. not fix, replace.
Old 09-17-12, 11:04 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by chrIS250
return the car or demand them to replace it. not fix, replace.
+1, also you shouldn't have taken delivery once you noticed the blood stains. I would have demanded they take care of it right away, and give you a loaner in the mean time.
Old 09-17-12, 11:28 AM
Hoac
Pole Position

Time to give Lexus corporate a call. Blood stains in your new car? Hell no!

Did the Yakuza get ahold of your car before it got shipped over =o?
Old 09-17-12, 11:32 AM
Nilism
Rookie

I am guessing the idiot running the knife cut himself and the steering wheel. He should have just cut his wrists... lol
Old 09-17-12, 11:36 AM
Nilism
Rookie

The other thing is I am leasing, so I don't actually own this thing.
Old 09-17-12, 11:48 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah you do until the lease is up.
Old 09-17-12, 11:51 AM
Nilism
Rookie

Gave the dealership a call. "they are working on it" I'll update later today and let you know if they are horrible people or not.
Old 09-17-12, 11:53 AM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well is it new or new to you? Those sound like long fingernails in the steering wheel, lipstick in the sun visor, and heels hitting the door sills. All signs of a CPO.

Think you shouldn't have taken it off the lot when you saw "blood," but maybe this was the perfect setup and a monthly payment you couldn't resist. Granted, I would check the contract, speak with the dealer about repair/replacing the flaws, and make note of these cosmetic flaws (documented of course) and just have fun with the car.
Old 09-17-12, 12:18 PM
EmmTee
Driver School Candidate

The porter cut your steering wheel trying to take off all the plastics....Im sure the Sales Manager will have to replace this for you.
Old 09-17-12, 12:18 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like someone also may of been not be careful with their finger nails and also gashed the leather on the steering wheel by accident.
Old 09-17-12, 12:58 PM
rookieIS
Lexus Champion

^ i think they are scars from finger nails.. cant be from cuts as it is not fine enough..
Old 09-17-12, 01:17 PM
Nilism
Rookie

The car had 7 KM on it (less then 5 miles) when I got it. These are knife cuts in the wheel from the them ripping the plastic off. The knife skipped along at an angle and pulled up three obliquely cut flaps of leather. It is certainly blood on the visor, it even looks like a finger print... the saleperson didn't even argue with me, just had a look of disgust on their face when I pointed it out.

I looked at the exterior paint a bit too. There is a factory defect on the hood (pinky nail sized) the detailer tried to polish out/off... so now there is a defect surrounded by a halo of scratches. There are also a few other scratches on the hood from an unclean wiping cloth being used. I'll bring this up as well.

I probably couldn't have chosen a harder car to detail though, obsidian black with a light interior. Everything will show, inside and out. I am cool with that though because I am super detail oriented. It just pisses me off royally when people handling my stuff aren't. I consider this thing a work of art. If I just wanted an A to B car I wouldn't have bought a Lexus.
Old 09-17-12, 01:58 PM
UniSlayEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. I would have thought otherwise. I was that meticulous. Usually ended up lowering the price because of the flaws. The only thing that was wrong with mine was a smallpaint chip on the quarter by the headlight. Dealer laughed and said, "guess it wasn't flawless. That's not going to change the price."
Old 09-17-12, 03:16 PM
Hondadna4
Rookie

Just tell them this all needs to get fixed. I bought an Iphone5 not to have a couple of scratches on it brand new right???

Quick Reply: Cuts on steering wheel *brand new car*