IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 07:26 PM
liquidfuel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot believe how long the wait is for parts now! When I got my CSP letter, I took my Lexus to the dealership on a Tuesday for them to look at it. They determined that I needed the repair and it was all finished by Friday! I had a brand new RX350 to drive while they did the work too.
Old 05-09-13, 10:18 PM
lexudv
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoGiantsNJ
Wow almost 114k without the problem . How did you manage to keep the carbon build up to a minimum?
Yup. Smooth as butter till I got the check engine light today. Haven't done anything special besides the regular scheduled maintenance. Oh and I do only use premium 91 gas from Chevron. Don't know if that made a difference though.
Old 05-10-13, 02:09 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An update on mine: I had some carbon build up issues even after the pistons, like i mentioned before and some others here as well did, but i realized today I haven't felt a shake in at least a couple months. Before, I'd feel it at least once a week.

I have just been using Chevron 91 only, 0w30 Full Synthetic oil and driving it a little harder more often. Not saying this is how to avoid the issue, but it's what i've been doing lately and its smooth! *knock on wood* Start up idle alone was noticeably smoother after switching to 0w30 oil.
Old 05-10-13, 12:08 PM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I am wondering if the 3rd gen IS 250 have an engine with this issue fixed or are they still selling them this way?
Old 05-10-13, 03:34 PM
outlaws
Rookie

Is what my engine doing carbon buildup or engine misfire? I can't tell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fdjm_...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-10-13, 06:30 PM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Parts just came in for the wife's IS. THERE ARE SAYING 3 DAYS TO FIX!!!

BTW, they ordered the parts last week of December 2012.

Last edited by ChickenIS; 05-10-13 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-11-13, 12:40 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by is250gurl
I am wondering if the 3rd gen IS 250 have an engine with this issue fixed or are they still selling them this way?
Well it sounds like they are going to be using the same engines from the 2IS in the 3IS. If that's the case, I'm thinking they might just be using the updated pistons and hoping that fixes the problem. If they figured out a better way to combat the carbon build up issue in the 3IS, I would hope they release the same fix for the 2IS owners as well!
Old 05-11-13, 03:31 PM
jleeIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Well it sounds like they are going to be using the same engines from the 2IS in the 3IS. If that's the case, I'm thinking they might just be using the updated pistons and hoping that fixes the problem. If they figured out a better way to combat the carbon build up issue in the 3IS, I would hope they release the same fix for the 2IS owners as well!
If they are in fact just keeping the same engine with no major redesign then that is a little disappointing.

Just curious, since the design of the direct injection system is the reason for the carbon buildup problem, do other car makes have as big of a problem with carbon as ours?
Old 05-11-13, 04:36 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did any of you guys need an alignment after getting the service done? The reason why I ask is because my car just got completed and I've been thinking if I should get it checked. Usually when the subframe is dropped to get the engine out, the suspension parts are also moved a little and might alter the alignment.

However I'm not sure of how the design is on the 2IS, perhaps it doesn't touch the front suspension at all? Maybe I won't need an alignment at all?
Old 05-13-13, 05:18 AM
is250gurl
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickenIS
Parts just came in for the wife's IS. THERE ARE SAYING 3 DAYS TO FIX!!!

BTW, they ordered the parts last week of December 2012.
3 days is fast! Mine was well over a week closer to 2 I think.
Old 05-13-13, 06:02 AM
Skyfox16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed my alignment was off after I got my car back and I called them the next day and dropped it off again with a loaner and they did the alignment for free. ( they had checked my alignment right when my car was dropped off and showed me the paper that said it was good before I had even left with the loaner- so I don't think there was any reason for them not to cover it)

Also I did Not have any letter for the carbon buildup and no check engine light was on but when they did the test they said they found misfire codes. They fixed my car that week too, no crazy waits for parts - I think she said they already had all the parts at the dealership so they didn't have to order anything.

Originally Posted by NQR89
Did any of you guys need an alignment after getting the service done? The reason why I ask is because my car just got completed and I've been thinking if I should get it checked. Usually when the subframe is dropped to get the engine out, the suspension parts are also moved a little and might alter the alignment.

However I'm not sure of how the design is on the 2IS, perhaps it doesn't touch the front suspension at all? Maybe I won't need an alignment at all?
Old 05-13-13, 07:00 AM
Skyfox16
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
There's not really a common mileage range from what i've seen. Some people have had it replaced early in the cars life, others much later or not at all. Mine was just replaced around 80k because it was making odd noises and starting to fail (under CPO warranty). I
wouldn't replace it as a preventative measure or anything though. Some people haven't had to replace it at all and are getting up there in mileage.
I dropped my car off on a friday and went in the tuesday after because i was curious to see what the car looked like. They let me go back and talk with the tech that was working on my car. He said he looked at the spark plugs and they were already replaced at the 60K mile service (car has 67K on it) i also mentioned the water pump and he said they already looked at it and it was starting to have a tiny leak so they would cover a new water pump under the CPO.

So when i picked my car up i paid for the AC service thing, since my air wasnt cold - they put a dye in it to test for leaks, and i paid to have my summer tires/wheels mounted and balanced, i think it was around $250 or so and i used a 15% off coupon from my dealers website. Everything else was covered under CPO, They did the carbon build up fix, new water pump and coolant, changed the oil, filled my gas tank up, compeleted two recent recalls(wiper arm nut and inside trunk latch), and replaced a fuel injector that was damaged during dissasembly. (then later they did the alignment for free)

Even though they had my car for a week and a half (dropped off friday they kept it the following week and then i picked it up the next tuesday) i was really happy with the service, i just hope nothing else major comes up with this car. I had three Infiniti's (G35x, G35 coupe, FX35) prior to the is250 and never went to the dealer with any of them. If anything has been learned its that Next time i will stick with the bigger V6, i miss the 300HP from the infiniti.
Old 05-13-13, 08:58 AM
ChickenIS
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by is250gurl
3 days is fast! Mine was well over a week closer to 2 I think.
Yes, I am very concerned with this "pit stop" type tear down and rebuild.

Thanks for the info BTW.
Old 05-13-13, 11:06 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

I found this video, ill update it in the first post as well.

Might help some of you with understanding what is going on and what exactly they are doing with this CSP.

Old 05-14-13, 07:51 AM
zen
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are still shakes, rpm drops from a stop after the CSP and around 38,000 miles, but when I shift to neutral the rpm goes back to normal idle. I also noticed during cold start there are black smokes out from the exhaust when I step on the accelerate pedal harder, not sure if it's relate to the CSP.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP