IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Old 12-15-12, 02:51 PM
meefer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my letter a couple of weeks ago, still no real problems, it rough idles on startup ever so often, but I've never had any codes thrown or rpms dip at a stoplight. Had to have the water pump replaced recently by a independent mechanic, from the looks of it Lexus might have done it for free? Darn.
Old 12-15-12, 03:15 PM
sandwiches
Driver

Got my letter. The shuddering/stall/CEL/limp mode has only happened to me once when I started the car up after 3 weeks of sitting. I'll probably take it in if it happens again.
Old 12-15-12, 03:58 PM
Road Rage
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gtidan
After reading this forum about the carbon buildup issue I think what stands out the most is the fact the the boys at Lexus are just as incompetent as those at Toyota
31 rebuilds and not a single comeback. F you and your broad brush you *****.
Old 12-15-12, 10:05 PM
CCJ22
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I agree with Road Rage. I've never had an issue with any lexus mechanic.
Old 12-16-12, 11:08 AM
wlk12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CCJ22
Yea I agree with Road Rage. I've never had an issue with any lexus mechanic.
I also agree!
Old 12-17-12, 10:28 AM
danigirl88
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone, I just wanted to post a quick update to my own IS situation: I had the engine rebuild done on my 08' under my original 70K power train warranty and was concerned about continuing problems.

Lexus corporate told me that I would not be included in the CSP for the carbon build up problem and I absolutely refused to accept that. After some resistance from corporate, (which has consistently refused to extend the warranty, BTW) I received the letter in the mail anyways. So, after all that I AM being given the 9 year, unlimited mileage warranty.

Corporate did suggest keeping all service records and having services done at Lexus so they can monitor your maintenance . Seems the big concern was that they would be covering cars that are not properly maintained, etc...and I cannot blame them, but in the long run, my car is covered.

Lexus has gone above and beyond for this car and while Im not thrilled about major mechanical problems, they are handling it and standing behind it. More than fair and I'm fine. I have no intentions of abusing my car and will faithfully service (keeping ALL records as recommended) and even use premium gas and drive like a maniac too lol...(Lexus told me to drive it faster or "harder" ok, fine, its fun, right?)

I just needed the promise that Im not stuck with a lemon, my car drives awesome since the piston rings were changed and Im keeping it for the whole 9 years My mechanics at Lexus have been excellent! While the car has been problematic, with the CSP promise, its all good & I can relax. Best of Luck to everyone here. Lexus is doing the right thing.
Old 12-17-12, 10:58 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Great news^^

I'm also going to agree with Road Rage. You may have had one poor dealer-specific experience, but I've been to the Lexus dealership (when I was car shopping) and the Toyota dealerships (after sales support, since I bought the car from them) and the service dept has been more than accommodating. The sales staff at Toyota on the other hand.. but that's off-topic.
Old 12-19-12, 10:17 AM
graphX250
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

07 is250, Had 2 engine cleanouts and still has some issues at times. Got the letter, but Lexus won't do anything cause no codes were stored, despite the documented service history with the car
Old 12-19-12, 02:06 PM
chowsta
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

After two months of waiting for the parts ive finally dropped my 07 awd in for the repair today, lol, yes!!
Old 12-19-12, 06:32 PM
krUnALv99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Are you having any problems with the car?

Jeff
Hello,

The only problem i think i am having is the start up. It vibrates a little bit on start up when it hasnt been turned on in cold weather for a day.

It also feels like its struggling on the first start up of the day when it is cold outside.
Old 12-20-12, 12:09 AM
250Lexus57
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How can I tell if ill get the letter didn't get one yet but had my short block replaced and updated pistons back in may but still have the slight vibrating is there anyway to find out if I'm getting the letter thanks for the help
Old 12-20-12, 07:49 AM
whitehurst
Driver School Candidate

2006 IS250
Currently at 154,000K miles

When my car was still under warranty I experienced these issues. At one point, my car went into a failsafe mode and forced me off the road. All lights came on, car would not go faster than 20mph.

Pulled over, turned off car. When it started, everything was normal. Going forward I would experience the rough starts at least once every other week, sometimes more. The rough idle would also come and go when slowing down to a stop. Very sporadic.

Throughout the next 4 years I have visited the dealer 4 times regarding this issue. Once in Houston, and 3 times in my hometown of New Orleans. Every time I went I was always told they could not duplicate the issue and always recommended some service or another. None of which I felt that I should have paid for as the car was under warranty when the issue starting happening.

Last week I got my letter, so you can imagine when I read the symptoms I was excited to see that Lexus was finally addressing the issue.

I bring it to the dealer; they explain that I would hear back within a day or two after they did the testing. I get a call the same day telling me to come get my car and that no work will be done as they were unable to get the car to show signs of the issue.

I can understand that they need codes and symptoms to get corp to approve this job, but I feel like since its documented within their systems the EXACT issue years before this campaign came out that they should honor this.. but no dice from the dealer. So I called corp, explained to them my history and they were able to see that I did come in multiple times with the complaint that matches the campaign.

They said they don't show anything in their system that I was mailed a CSP. Asked me to hold on to it in case they needed me to fax it. This part sucks. When I went to see the dealer I had the CSP in hand. When I went to hand it to the service advisor he said he didn't need it. So without thinking, I chucked it in the trash along with my empty coffee cup. Needless to say, last night I was at Lexus of New Orleans digging through the trash in their service department. One of the valet guys was kind enough to assist.. but when I couldn't find it, he asked me when I threw it away. I told him about 10AM (it was now 6PM) and he laughed and said they tend to change the trash out every couple of hours..

Anywaaaaay.. i'm not sure why corp would not have a paper trail on the CSP I was sent.. a bit concerned but hopeful that they will honor the CSP and approve the work.
Old 12-20-12, 08:02 AM
Ca1vN
Driver

im getting my car back after being at the dealership for a month, they didnt even fix it yet because the part is backordered until mid January. yea. im pissed. a month and nothing was done. not to mention door edge guards i bought from sewell didnt fit either. not really my day..
Old 12-20-12, 10:20 AM
graphX250
Pit Crew

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

join the club, I have the letter, have the documented issues as well called corp 3x and still can't get anywhere
Old 12-20-12, 11:05 AM
cchase231
Driver School Candidate

I took my 07 250 in a couple days ago. I had the letter and have been experiencing near stalls for a couple months 1-3 times per week at warm engine temps and twice total on start up, no CEL ever thrown. They called and told me that in order to fix the problem I would need to have my throttle body cleaned at $225, battery replaced at $125, and 60,000 mile service at $700. They could not reproduce the issue and charged me a diagnostic fee of $125. I was a little disappointed because the service department is acting like the carbon build up on the valves is with out a doubt not the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP