IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Old 06-22-15, 07:12 PM
penone
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrhavasu
NO they are not, I have a 2010 and they said I missed the tsb or whatever they call it. They said my car was one of the worst they had seen for misfires and they did the top end clean. Misfires came right back less than 5k and cusotmer service at lexus said that I would have to pay for top end cleanings, and they did me a favor by paying for the first one. Last lexus I will buy, put a catch can on and I hope that takes care of it.
By how much did you miss it?

And what's a "catch can"?
Old 06-22-15, 08:44 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrhavasu
NO they are not, I have a 2010 and they said I missed the tsb or whatever they call it. They said my car was one of the worst they had seen for misfires and they did the top end clean. Misfires came right back less than 5k and cusotmer service at lexus said that I would have to pay for top end cleanings, and they did me a favor by paying for the first one. Last lexus I will buy, put a catch can on and I hope that takes care of it.
Isn't it 9 years unlimited mileage? Last I checked this is not the year 2019.
Old 06-22-15, 10:24 PM
SuperStree
Driver School Candidate

hi guys, looking at buying a used is250 with vsc lights on, misfire on cyl 5 for cheap. I am wondering if removing the intake manifold, then scraping the carbon off the intake valves with a screwdriver/running seafoam would cure the problem (assuming carbon buildup is the culprit). How reliable has the is250 been when running a catch can? Does the carbon buildup stop? Thanks!!!

Last edited by SuperStree; 06-22-15 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-23-15, 06:28 AM
penone
Driver

Originally Posted by chikoo
Isn't it 9 years unlimited mileage? Last I checked this is not the year 2019.
I believe that the issue Mrhavasu had was that his vin number fell out of the range of the CSP. IIRC the CSP covered only some vins in 2010 - but not all. I may be mistaken though.

Also, see now what a catch can is. Interesting idea. Was also looking at the seafoam solution and may try that if corp denies my claim.
Old 06-24-15, 09:05 AM
penone
Driver

Just heard from Lexus corporate and they denied my request for the CSP. They claim that I did not meet the threshold that is covered under the warranty even though it clearly states on my invoice from Lexus Service that "Performed misfire diagnostics and was able to duplicate the misfire from multiple cylinders. TAS Case ####, TAS recommend TSIB for carbon misfire."

Not sure what to do now? Any suggestions?
Old 06-24-15, 10:24 AM
penone
Driver

Spoke to corp again and explained to them the situation. I showed them that back in 2011 I had the same problem and the top engine cleaning was done. Coincidentally enough - this morning driving to work my CEL came on. I told the case manager I was willing to go to the dealer so they can put the car on the computer, pay the $ 140 and get the code to show up on a report. Case manager said no need to do that. They are continuing to review and will let me know by Friday what their decision is.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Depending on what happens I will either trade in later this year for a NX or go to a different company.
Old 06-29-15, 03:28 PM
Mrhavasu
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=penone;9086638]I believe that the issue Mrhavasu had was that his vin number fell out of the range of the CSP. IIRC the CSP covered only some vins in 2010 - but not all. I may be mistaken though.

This is correct, My vin supposedly has the better rings. Obvioulsly this is a bunch of B.S. Pretty crappy way to treat customers with this issue.
The catch can is explained the first few pages of this thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xperiment.html

Good luck

Last edited by Mrhavasu; 06-29-15 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-30-15, 07:52 AM
penone
Driver

Happy to report that Lexus Corp approved the CSP! Am waiting now for my dealer to verify with Lexus Corp and let me know when to bring the car in. Have to say had to fight a bit but worth it and Lexus probably saved a future customer by doing this.
Old 07-06-15, 08:08 AM
autox250
Driver

@mrhavasu What you're saying is wrong. Its 9yrs/unlimited miles, your car sir it NOT in the vin range. According to them its after the production change. Some 2010s are out.
For all i know you dont even properly maintain it.
A catch can will give you a fuel system lean code, but go ahead.
Chikoo its 2006-some 2010s
To get in there and scrape carbon from the top the upper (black) and lower manifold have to come out. But seafoAm is a better route. The carbon on the valves that lead to a miss is on the edge & valve seat so it cant be reached..
Old 07-07-15, 06:23 PM
Mrhavasu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by autox250
@mrhavasu What you're saying is wrong. Its 9yrs/unlimited miles, your car sir it NOT in the vin range. According to them its after the production change. Some 2010s are out.
For all i know you dont even properly maintain it.
A catch can will give you a fuel system lean code, but go ahead.
Chikoo its 2006-some 2010s
To get in there and scrape carbon from the top the upper (black) and lower manifold have to come out. But seafoAm is a better route. The carbon on the valves that lead to a miss is on the edge & valve seat so it cant be reached..

What I am saying is correct! I will set the record straight for you since you are making assumptions without any facts to back you up. The catch can does not set off any codes, its been on for more than 12,000 miles now. Where is your proof? I run Mobil 1 and change it every 5,000 miles. I take very good care of all my vehicles, but I cannot control a now admitted and obvious problem. IF you knew what you were talking about, then you would know that replacing the pistons and rings is not fixing all of the cars, and Lexus is not the only maker having this issue. It is a common problem with early direct injection engines. Whether Lexus agrees or not that my car has the carbon build up problem does not matter to me, the dealer says it has the problem, the symptoms are all there, the proof is there when they tore the engine apart and had to clean it up.
So who is wrong?
Old 09-12-15, 11:13 AM
autox250
Driver

No assumptions, heres a fact i know exactly how this system works and how the logic of the ecu works. The engine fuel system was designed to take into account oil vapors (hydrocarbons) when controlling fuel trims. If the catch can is vented out then the A/F sensor will read lean, thats higher than 3.2 volts. A short term fuel trim adjustment (+%) will be made, after a constant + adjustment for a while te long term trim will go up as well. Once this long term number is (+28%) it sets a lean code. The + fuel trim is extra on time for the injectors in % to hit a stoich mix. If you recirc the catch can then youre extending the inevitable but vapors circulating will still turn to carbon. 12,000 miles inst nearly enough distance to say it has made a difference.
one other fact, a true test would be to measure the knock correct learn value before your change to a can and the re check it at 12,000 to see if you actually did make an impact. You dont actually know for sure if it will make a difference. These cars on average could easily go 30k before they naturally built enough carbon to cause a problem. Why would yours show or not show symptoms at 12k of testing??
I come here with plenty of knowledge about the brand and its systems, I dont pretend to know to misguide people.
Those are the reasons why a code would set
Old 09-12-15, 08:09 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Does ethanol free gas help in preventing this? I use it regardless, but it would be an added benefit. The reason i ask because my service advisor said the carbon was the result of the ethanol and the way it burned.
Old 09-14-15, 02:16 PM
Mrhavasu
Driver School Candidate

Your really reaching here, designing the system to actually read and expect to burn oil vapors for af ratios? And where do you claim to get this knowledge? The oil vapors will change with oil brands and grades. Not everyone is going to follow toyotas guidlines. Where are all the posts of recurring engine codes being set off since a lot have people have gone this route? This whole oil vapor thing caught them by surprise, remember? Hence the intake getting dirty problem.
Old 09-15-15, 02:29 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 580 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Does ethanol free gas help in preventing this? I use it regardless, but it would be an added benefit. The reason i ask because my service advisor said the carbon was the result of the ethanol and the way it burned.
The carbon build-up that is happening in the IS250 engine is pre-combustion and unaffected by the type of fuel or the way it burns.

Jeff
Old 10-15-15, 10:16 AM
mims916
Driver School Candidate

Angry 2006 IS50 Misfire

Check engine and VSC light came on Sunday. Always experienced the shuddering but car almost stalled twice on Monday and the lights wont go off. Took it to Lexus of Sacramento Wednesday morning for diagnostic. They called me last night and told me my engine was misfiring and something with the pistons and would cost me $6500! holy moly! couldn't sleep last night, called Corporate at 6 am and they asked why was I not informed of the warranty (I already knew about the issues everyone was having) and I told her I didn't know. called back to dealer and confirmed it fell within the VLA misfire but I was outside of the warranty. (car first sold 8/29/06, I'm the 2nd owner..missed it by barely 2 months!!) called back corporate and opened a case. was told case manager would call me in 2 business days in the meantime I have to return the loaner and drive my clunker around, hoping it doesn't stall or die on me when in use. so hopefully corporate will approve the CSP and fix the problems with my car. Unfair for dealer to charge me something I had no control over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP