IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

IS250 Carbon Build up CSP

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-15, 11:15 PM
liqB
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlFakher
Currently getting my car checked out at Stevens Creek. $155 if problem cannot be detected. Car rough started and died 3 times in 2 days, and intermittently comes to a rough idle at stop. So far it sounds like they can't detect that anything's wrong, no misfire codes. Are there any codes logged in the system?
Take it to Putnam in Redwood City.

Just tell them you notice the car feels sluggish/rough idles. They should run a diag with a techstream and monitor for misfires. The issue exists even if no codes are thrown.
Old 05-20-15, 10:37 AM
AlFakher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like they couldn't find anything, and now I have to take the car back despite billowing out smoke and dying on me a week ago on start up. Anything else I can say when I go in to talk to the service adviser today?
Old 06-19-15, 07:20 PM
middlst
Driver School Candidate

Default is250

i have a 2006 IS250 in perfect condition with only 74,000 miles that Lexus is refusing to stand up and handle this engine problem on. This is my first Lexus and I don't understand how a company that is supposed to have such great customer service would not correct a known manufacturing/engineering/products liability issue. How can a company put its customers in such as a bad position as not being able to sell or trade a faulty vehicle. I could never sale or trade this car knowing something is wrong with it. Where is the integrity of Lexus?
Old 06-21-15, 03:55 AM
goy091
Driver School Candidate

Finally got my car back from Servco Lexus in Honolulu. Took two months but no out of pocket expenses. Got a nice loaner 2015 CT200H for about a month. 43MPG on regular gas.

2008 IS250, bought new. 33k mi on the clock. Check engine light, VSC and traction lights all came one. Took a video of the car starting up and dying while parked in my driveway.

P0301/06 - misfires
Replaced short block assembly, as they found scoring on the cylinder walls 1,2,3,4,6
Cleaned head
Replaced plugs, gaskets, oil, coolant.

Also did the ELF fuel pressure sensor gasket recall.

They also ordered but did not receive the dashboard and 4x interior door panels (apparently ~4mo wait on those parts)

Car runs smoothly and quietly again. Anyone have any advice on how to prevent another problem like this?
Old 06-21-15, 10:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by goy091
Finally got my car back from Servco Lexus in Honolulu. Took two months but no out of pocket expenses. Got a nice loaner 2015 CT200H for about a month. 43MPG on regular gas.

2008 IS250, bought new. 33k mi on the clock. Check engine light, VSC and traction lights all came one. Took a video of the car starting up and dying while parked in my driveway.

P0301/06 - misfires
Replaced short block assembly, as they found scoring on the cylinder walls 1,2,3,4,6
Cleaned head
Replaced plugs, gaskets, oil, coolant.

Also did the ELF fuel pressure sensor gasket recall.

They also ordered but did not receive the dashboard and 4x interior door panels (apparently ~4mo wait on those parts)

Car runs smoothly and quietly again. Anyone have any advice on how to prevent another problem like this?
Not much can be done to prevent it again. Some say do a few full throttle accelerations once in a while to get fuel to spray more inside the cylinders. For me, I've done more freeway driving recently and that helped. Also use premium, as recommended.
Old 06-21-15, 05:29 PM
jyu1210
Driver School Candidate

Default Carbon

Just purchased a new to me 2007 IS250. About once a day I experience fluctuating rpms at a stop then back to normal after I start driving. The idle is a bit high too, 1200rpm, even after warm up and up to operating temperature. No lights come on but I know the previous owner performed a carbon cleaning through Lexus last year.

I'm in the bay area, possible to have the CSP rebuilt performed on my vehicle?
Old 06-21-15, 06:39 PM
penone
Driver

I have a 2006 IS with 116k miles and did the carbon build up "fix" back in 2011. Took the car to the dealer last week because the problem starting creeping back again. Dealer is currently waiting for Lexus Corp to approve the fix. My 9 year expired on Friday but no codes came up in the computer. Dealer did mention that they did see the misfire though and why they are waiting for corp to approve. Luckily they gave me a loaner while I wait - 2015 ES. Hoping they get the approval to go ahead and do this. Do not / can not pay to get it fixed.
Old 06-22-15, 01:22 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by penone
I have a 2006 IS with 116k miles and did the carbon build up "fix" back in 2011. Took the car to the dealer last week because the problem starting creeping back again. Dealer is currently waiting for Lexus Corp to approve the fix. My 9 year expired on Friday but no codes came up in the computer. Dealer did mention that they did see the misfire though and why they are waiting for corp to approve. Luckily they gave me a loaner while I wait - 2015 ES. Hoping they get the approval to go ahead and do this. Do not / can not pay to get it fixed.
Was Lexus doing the big rebuild fix that far back? I thought the campaign started about 2-3 years ago at the most.
Old 06-22-15, 06:23 AM
penone
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Was Lexus doing the big rebuild fix that far back? I thought the campaign started about 2-3 years ago at the most.
Hmmm..so you got me thinking now - did I get the build refix or something else. I logged on to my service records and for that day in 2011 I see the following notes:

MIL 'ON' P030# - PERFORM TOP ENGINE CLEAN - CUSTOMER REPORTS CHECK ENGINE AND CHECK VSC LIGHTS ARE ON CAR SPUTTERED TURNED ON AND OFF AND STOPPED SPUTTERING. LIGHT WAS STILL ON. - TSIB LSB0029 - 10 AS PER STEP 43 OF TSIB LSB0088 - 08 SEE LINE A OF THIS RO FOR MORE INFO - 61205 CARBON BUILD UP IN COMBUSTION CHAMBERS/CYLINDER HEADS, INTERMITTENT MISFIRES, TOP ENGINE CLEAN TSIB REQUIRED AS PER STEP 43 TSIB LSB0088 - 08 EG1007 350 PERFORMED TOP ENGINE CLEAN PROCEDURE AS PER VALVE SPRING TSIB (LSB0088 - 08 STEP 43)
Now I am not so sure if I had the "big" fix done or not....
Old 06-22-15, 07:48 AM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not much can be done to prevent it again. Some say do a few full throttle accelerations once in a while to get fuel to spray more inside the cylinders. For me, I've done more freeway driving recently and that helped. Also use premium, as recommended.
Fuel choice or driving style does NOT affect carbon build up and will not prevent it. Its caused by PCV oil vapors accumulating on the valves and turning to carbon. Ive had my 07 250 seeing the limiter daily and either way 72k, it started missing. Blow by is going to be present and affect these valves nonmatter what fuel you run or how you drive it.

@penone, the campaign for rings+pistons started later on. Before that the issue was being adressed by doing a top engine clean. A chemical treatment to remove carbon from valves and combustion chamber. Thats what you have done to your car. Because you have history of misfires and has been previously adressed you should be able to get it done
Old 06-22-15, 08:18 AM
penone
Driver

Originally Posted by autox250
Fuel choice or driving style does NOT affect carbon build up and will not prevent it. Its caused by PCV oil vapors accumulating on the valves and turning to carbon. Ive had my 07 250 seeing the limiter daily and either way 72k, it started missing. Blow by is going to be present and affect these valves nonmatter what fuel you run or how you drive it.

@penone, the campaign for rings+pistons started later on. Before that the issue was being adressed by doing a top engine clean. A chemical treatment to remove carbon from valves and combustion chamber. Thats what you have done to your car. Because you have history of misfires and has been previously adressed you should be able to get it done
Thanks Autox. Hope they get the approval. Goal is to get the car fixed and then trade it in for a NX or maybe go outside Lexus to a Murano 2015.
Old 06-22-15, 08:39 AM
autox250
Driver

Whats your vin, your 06 is prob out of the 9 years... It might require you to contact lexus if the dealer says it missed but its no longer covered. Its when the car entered service not when it was made.
Old 06-22-15, 10:30 AM
penone
Driver

Whats your vin, your 06 is prob out of the 9 years... It might require you to contact lexus if the dealer says it missed but its no longer covered. Its when the car entered service not when it was made.
Wow. You must be psychic. Just heard from the service adviser and was told that corp denied the fix! Corp claims that the "fix" had to be done within the 9 year time frame - not me bringing the car in with the problem. I called up Corp and explained that the car was brought in 1 day prior to the end of the 9 years and they told me they will send it up to a case manager for review and see if they will reverse that decision. Hope they do it because there is no way I will / can pay the $9K to fix it. The car isn't even worth $9K anymore!
Old 06-22-15, 12:31 PM
autox250
Driver

Dont worry lexus is good honoring this kind of thing, if you called im sure they will do something to make it happen for you.
Old 06-22-15, 06:01 PM
Mrhavasu
Driver School Candidate

Dont worry lexus is good honoring this kind of thing, if you called im sure they will do something to make it happen for you.
NO they are not, I have a 2010 and they said I missed the tsb or whatever they call it. They said my car was one of the worst they had seen for misfires and they did the top end clean. Misfires came right back less than 5k and cusotmer service at lexus said that I would have to pay for top end cleanings, and they did me a favor by paying for the first one. Last lexus I will buy, put a catch can on and I hope that takes care of it.

Quick Reply: IS250 Carbon Build up CSP